Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA U-20 World Cup 2013

• 18-06-2013 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭

171a650f-7171-4ba9-92ec-32a062922f32-444x333.jpg
    21st June - 13 July
    Groups:
    Group A (Istanbul, Kayseri): France, Ghana, USA, Spain.
    Group B (Kayseri, Istanbul): Cuba, Korea Republic, Nigeria, Portugal
    Group C (Trabzon, Rize, Gaziantep): Turkey, El Salvador, Colombia, Australia
    Group D (Gaziantep, Trabzon): Mexico, Greece, Paraguay, Mali
    Group E (Antalya, Bursa): Chile, Egypt, England, Iraq
    Group F (Bursa, Antalya): New Zealand, Uzbekistan, Uruguay, Croatia

Some top talents on show here the past few tournaments and there will be some more this time around too. France, Spain, Colombia and Portugal all seem to be highly rated but there could be some dark horses (Ghana, Mexico) as with most youth competitions. Looking forward to seeing Boakye of Ghana, Bruma of Sporting Lisbon for Portugal is highly rated although I've never seen him play. Also excited to see Calhanoglu in the Turkish midfield along with a few others.

First set of matches:
    21st June
    4pm
    France vs Ghana (Eurosport)
    Cuba vs South Korea (Highlights on Eurosport after France-Ghana)

7pm
    USA vs Spain (Eurosport)
    Nigeria vs Portugal (Eurosport 2)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

The French look to have a decent squad for this.

They'll have to be to beat the Ghanaian under 28 team tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Spain tend to win everything now so I'm going to go out on a limb and back them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Group A is a horror show of a draw for the teams in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

First two games starting in 20 minutes.

Official stream available in Europe (I think) - http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/video/live/information.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool and Chelsea both have players from the winning side of WCU20 2011 - Coutinho and Oscar. Chelsea also have Romeu from the losing side and Liverpool have Pacheco. Isco also played.

http://int.soccerway.com/matches/2011/08/15/world/u20-world-cup/brazil-youth/spain-youth/1106805/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

mike65 wrote: »
    Liverpool and Chelsea both have players from the winning side of WCU20 2011 - Coutinho and Oscar. Chelsea also have Romeu from the losing side and Liverpool have Pacheco. Isco also played.

http://int.soccerway.com/matches/2011/08/15/world/u20-world-cup/brazil-youth/spain-youth/1106805/

Did Pacheco really go any further than being a promising prospect though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Noticed USA have an Irish-born player on their squad: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_O%27Neill_(soccer)

Be interesting to see how he develops and, if he's good enough, whether he plays for the US or Ireland.

Not yet! He is a classic case of a pretty talented player who falls through the cracks. Three LFC managers have not been swayed by him while his loans have been a mixed bag. seems to me he should be able to hack a decent career in Spain with a "yo-yo" level side.

USA

1 C. Cropper
    3 J. Ocegueda
    4 C. Stanko
    14 J. Torre
    2 D. Yedlin
    10 L. Gil
    8 B. Joya
    6 W. Trapp
    19 J. Hernández
    11 J. Villareal
    17 D. Garcia

Spain
    1 Daniel Sotres
    6 Campaña
    5 Israel Puerto
    2 Javi Manquillo
    4 Derik
    15 Saúl
    8 Suso
    16 Oliver Torres
    17 Gerard Deulofeu
    10 Jesé Rodríguez
    11 Juan Bernat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

CSF wrote: »
    Did Pacheco really go any further than being a promising prospect though?

No he always looked a beast with Spain and at times with the reserves. He played a cup game against Northampton iirc that we lost and never got a real chance after that bar a sparodic appearance here or there. Never knew why that was.
    He's a bit like Domonic Adiyiah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Goal! Fantastic run and cross from Deulofeu picking out Jese who calmly finishes. Spain 1-0 up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Deulofeu looking good.Great direct running. Jesse Rodriguez expect him to feature more for Real Madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Whoever wrote the book on defending in the US should be taken out back and shot. Just bad at the back throughout the system, all the way to the senior team.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

What a strike!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Goal! Straight out of La Masia, a touch of genius courtesy of the next big homegrown Barcelona star, Gerard Deulofeu.

Really poor by the US there, too easy

Senior side, under 21, under 20, it doesn't matter, Spain are always a joy to watch. 3-0, Jese gets his second, cracking play from Manquillo down the right flank after a lovely ball from Suso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Suso is playing brilliantly.

Beautiful little trick by him to get past the defender for the chance at the end that nearly led to the 4th goal.

The talent in Spain is scary. This team would probably have made it to the final of the European u21 championship. A few players with La Liga experience.Two very good Full backs and a front three of Deulofeu, Jese and Suso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Senior side, under 21, under 20, it doesn't matter, Spain are always a joy to watch. 3-0, Jese gets his second, cracking play from Manquillo down the right flank after a lovely ball from Suso.

I wonder why.

• Advertisement

Goal! Straight out of La Masia, a touch of genius courtesy of the next big homegrown Barcelona star, Gerard Deulofeu.

Sometimes I think you're doing it on purpose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

just move to Spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

A perfectly weighted through ball there forged and refined in 'melwood' by suso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Spain have a bit of a tendency to get themselves into trouble at the back, completely unnecessarily.

Portugal vs Nigeria ain't bad. 3-2 and both are going for it.

Very happy I didn't turn off Nigeria vs Portugal now!

Bruma has a brace, his second restoring Portugals lead after Nigeria came form 2 down. They almost equalised again there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Portugal's keeper is impressive, he's saved them a few times.

Great goal for the US's consolation

Great goal.

Can't help but feel a better team would have really punished Spain's regular idiocy at the back.

• Advertisement

Great great ball from Suso again there.

Sometimes I think you're doing it on purpose...

It was an incredible goal, the touch, awareness, quality and class of the highly rated youngster all on show in that one goal. He has electric pace, awesome skill and quite mature decision making for a winger of his age. Should we downplay him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

It was an incredible goal, the touch, awareness, quality and class of the highly rated youngster all on show in that one goal. He has electric pace, awesome skill and quite mature decision making for a winger of his age. Should we downplay him?
    :confused:
    incredible
    it was a good goal but Henry nearly scored 1 every week in his prime

MD1990 wrote: »
    :confused:
    incredible
    it was a good goal but Henry nearly scored 1 every week in his prime

That's an exaggeration.
    This is a 19 year old, the star of an under 20 side expected to win the World Cup, in their opening game. Lets give credit where it's due, it's an incredible goal no matter the circumstances.

Oh my god. You are the Ray Wilkins of La Liga.

Oh my god. You are the Ray Wilkins of La Liga.

Not such a bad thing, you look at that Spain side this evening, you look at the under 21 side and then you look at the depth of options available to the senior side and you realise there is something to be excited about. Just this week, in The Guardian I think, I've seen Spanish football be described as a diamond dynasty rather than a golden generation and I couldn't agree more.

• Advertisement

Not such a bad thing, you look at that Spain side this evening, you look at the under 21 side and then you look at the depth of options available to the senior side and you realise there is something to be excited about. Just this week, in The Guardian I think, I've seen Spanish football be described as a diamond dynasty rather than a golden generation and I couldn't agree more.

Ok.

Are you spanish yourself?! You should be a journalist you have a beautiful way with words:D

wadacrack wrote: »
    Are you spanish yourself?! You should be a journalist you have a beautiful way with words:D

I'm not Spanish, and thank you, not really what my posts are intended for but I appreciate that all the same.

Results in the early games today

Colombia 1-1 Australia
    Mexico 1-2 Greece

Watched the end of the Colombia game and it seemed decent, a 16 year old named Daniel De Silva was the goalscorer for Australia.

He was born in March 1997. I'm so old :(

El Salvador might not be the best opposition, but Turkey are looking very strong. 3-0 up at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Seems that the French 3 - 1 win over Ghana got over-looked. Loads of potential for les bleus. Be interesting to see how they get on.

Iraq got a 2-2 draw with England there.

Quite a good opening 5 minutes for Spain. Showing more control and better decision making in the opening 7 minutes than they did against the USA, we've even see a rondo, wonderful stuff.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Iraq got a 2-2 draw with England there.

People saying it's a shock, but lets be honest, English teams are always massively overrated.

Goal! Spain! That's a quite lovely goal, Suarez slows down, suckers in the defender and at the very last moment drags the ball away, he then has the awareness to pick out the free-scoring Jese and Spain lead 1-0. Fully deserved, it's been a blistering start.

Suprised the french drew with the US earlier, Pogba is suspended for the Spanish game. Even so 4pts will probaby get the a last 16 spot with the way the tournament is formatted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lads anyone see the Ref in the Korea v Portugal game with his spray paint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Lads anyone see the Ref in the Korea v Portugal game with his spray paint?

They've been using that in all the games.

Hopefully it'll be rolled out across europe.

It's bloody stupid the way walls are currently handled.

They've been using the foam all tournament ^

Ryu Seung-Woo's equaliser for Korea at HT was fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Gbear wrote: »
    They've been using that in all the games.

Hopefully it'll be rolled out across europe.

It's bloody stupid the way walls are currently handled.

Ah ok.

I only saw highlights in games and took no notice.

I just thought this ref was taking his job bit too serious.

Good idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement