Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA U-20 World Cup 2013

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Quite a few of the professional leagues across South America have their refs doing that, some for a couple of years now if not longer . I think it was introduced into the Copa Libertadores last season too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Quite a few of the professional leagues across South America have their refs doing that, some for a couple of years now if not longer . I think it was introduced into the Copa Libertadores last season too.

I need to start watching more football so.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Ah the refs do love them little holsters they have for them.
    Must give a look at Colombia tomorrow and give a look at that centre back milan signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Goal! Jese scores again. Spain work the ball well around the back, a pass into space from the right back finds Jese whose composure in front of goal never ceases to impress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ap_anchorman_dm_120425_mn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Goal! Jese scores again. Spain work the ball well around the back, a pass into space from the right back finds Jese whose composure in front of goal never ceases to impress.

Jese is lethal! I would love to see him given a chance with the first team next season. No wonder Madrid are cashing in on Higuain.

Jese is lethal! I would love to see him given a chance with the first team next season. No wonder Madrid are cashing in on Higuain.

He finished the under 19 tournament last summer as top scorer and he does have an impressive record with the Real Madrid Castilla. I like his understanding of the game for such a young player, he's been played as a wide player in a system which has occasionally had no striker, he and Deulofeu, with their diagonal runs, have had to occupy the defenders.

Personally I think we've seen the best that Higuain can muster, he isn't going to improve much now, I still think he is a very good player and would be a good addition to Arsenal and the Premier League as a whole but ye, In Jese and Morata, Madrid do have a couple of quality prospects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

England fell to Egypt today and have went out, bottom of their group. Iraq have won their group!

Round of 16 starts on Tuesday
    cIoNJZb.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

England are seriously **** at all levels.

• Advertisement

No surprise, England are comfortably the worst coached country in the world on a GDP basis. Thing is you could assemble a damned good side of U20s from English talent but until they are coached by a Spaniard/Dutchman they will achieve nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

When you look at the calibre of player who went, that is scary. Most of them not even making subs bench for their clubs.

CSF wrote: »
    When you look at the calibre of player who went, that is scary. Most of them not even making subs bench for their clubs.

Some of them are complete nobodies and going by what I saw no hopers. The whole myth that a dutch or spanish coach can suddenly give them creative flair is pure dross. Sure you could get better coaches than Taylor or Pearce but there is just a complete lack of talent available and as you said these guys in their late teens are and will never likely nowhere near a starting XI berth at a top flight club anytime soon.

A foreign coach instilling more technical virtues in English players from the ages of 17-21 might help them improve somewhat but the real problem and the real area England (and, to an extent Ireland) have to target is 7 or 8 all the way up to 15 or 16. It's easier to instill a philosophy of doing things correctly from the very start rather than taking everything a 19 year old knows and has been doing for years, trying to erase all of that and trying to embrace a new method instead. It's easier for a kid to pick it up from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

GTR63 wrote: »
    Some of them are complete nobodies and going by what I saw no hopers. The whole myth that a dutch or spanish coach can suddenly give them creative flair is pure dross. Sure you could get better coaches than Taylor or Pearce but there is just a complete lack of talent available and as you said these guys in their late teens are and will never likely nowhere near a starting XI berth at a top flight club anytime soon.

Indeed.

There's 65m odd people in Britain and you can count the truly top class players under 30 on one hand. Wilshere, Bale, Rooney. That it?

You could probably make 3 Spanish sides better than anything Britain could offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Gbear wrote: »
    England are seriously **** at all levels.
    Some of them are complete nobodies and going by what I saw no hopers.

They qualified - Germany, Russia, Italy, Belgium, Holland didn't.

Now obviously theres only 6 qual spots for UEFA so not every powerhouse can qualify, (and maybe Holland were unlucky enough to be grouped with Spain or whatever, I haven't checked) but Englands relentless ability to be able to qualify at most of the underage levels (they must have one of the highest qualification rates) suggests that things aren't quite as bad as people make out.

• Advertisement

A foreign coach instilling more technical virtues in English players from the ages of 17-21 might help them improve somewhat but the real problem and the real area England (and, to an extent Ireland) have to target is 7 or 8 all the way up to 15 or 16. It's easier to instill a philosophy of doing things correctly from the very start rather than taking everything a 19 year old knows and has been doing for years, trying to erase all of that and trying to embrace a new method instead. It's easier for a kid to pick it up from the start.

I get what your saying but the idea they have that you can just ask them to pass more and then you'd eventually turn into Spain is from the f'n moon.
    The clubs aren't even using their youth academies too even the 15 yr olds prodigies they buy/poach from the continent tend to wilt and die as rapidly as they import them.

I get what your saying but the idea they have that you can just ask them to pass more and then you'd eventually turn into Spain is from the f'n moon.
    The clubs aren't even using their youth academies too even the 15 yr olds prodigies they buy/poach from the continent tend to wilt and die as rapidly as they import them.

I agree, it's not just a matter of telling a 9 year old kid to stop whacking the football as hard as he can and instead pass it to the lad standing beside him, there's a bit more to it than that. I suppose it's also about developing a culture from a young age where kids are encouraged to play the right way. You see it so often at local clubs, at training the kids will be encouraged to play it out from the back, to show for the ball in midfield, only to then arrive to playing a competitive match (a nonsense at such a young age in my opinion), their parents are watching on the sideline, the kids are excited to be playing on the grass which they so rarely get to do and suddenly everything you've taught them is gone, their parents are screaming at them to "get rid of it!" and you have a wild herd of kids charging up the pitch after the ball that's just been punted forward.

I know this is something the FA (and FAI) are trying to work on and trying to discourage by having younger groups play on smaller pitches with smaller goals but the competitive aspect and coaches and parents demanding wins is a contributing factor to why both countries produce the kind of teams that they do.

It's also that attitude (and the attitude of more often than not scouting the physically impressive kids and perhaps not the most technically talented kids) that leads academies not producing enough quality. A foreign prodigy coming over will be blooded into English football, it's virtues and how it's played and what you end up with (most, not all of the time) is a player confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

There is also too much of an emphasis in the British mindset now about passing the ball being the way forward in development of youths. I mean it is a big part of it, but as a result there isn't as much of an emphasis on what one actually does with the ball when they do have it, I think in England (and here by default) they run the risk of rushing kids to release the ball short just as much as they do long, and running into similar problems. Kids need to be set free while receiving expert technical coaching.

Pogba is a total beast in this game. Seems to be very one sided game for the last 16. France have got such a big physical side.

Punched the air when Quintero put that in, timewasting Koreans.
    F*ck it Milan put a bid in will ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Quintero looks a top quality player. Keeper made a fantastic stop before the goal as well.

I'm really enjoying this tournament. Bit gutted that Portugual got knocked out, though. Bruma looks a super talent for the future like Quintero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That was a terrible penalty by the Korean.

Oof! What a penalty by the Columbian keeper. Just as well the cross bar was there!

Colombia should have went for it in Extra Time. Really don't know why they didn't. The Koreans were there for the taking.

Quarter-Final line-up is now complete:

France vs Uzbekistan

Ghana vs Chile

Iraq vs South Korea

Uruguay vs Spain

Three Asian teams in the quarter-finals is a fine achievement. One of them will be guaranteed a semi-final berth (my feeling is it will be the impressive Iraqi team). I see the final coming down to a repeat of an earlier group game - France vs Spain. Ghana could be one to watch, though. I didn't envisage Ghana knocking out the Portuguese.

Players that have stood out for me in the tournament would be Bruma (Portugual); Juan Quintero (Colombia); Jese (Spain); Geoffrey Kondogbia (France); Nicolas Lopez (Uruguay); Nicolas Castillo (Chile) ; Juan Bernat (Spain).

I think Uruguay vs Spain could be a cracker of a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Would have liked to see Colombia and Portugal progress. France and Spain do look like the two best sides, but will be interesting to see can Ghana, Iraq or perhaps Uruguay upset someone.

Players that have stood out for me in the tournament would be Bruma (Portugual); Juan Quintero (Colombia); Jese (Spain); Geoffrey Kondogbia (France); Nicolas Lopez (Uruguay); Nicolas Castillo (Chile) ; Juan Bernat (Spain).

Thought Human for Iraq looked alrite, he'd do a job for a lot of sides around europe. Their Keeper.....less so.
    Porto are in the driving seat for Quintero at present at a muted €10m I am begging Milan to bid if they insist on playing a no.10 next year as Porto will probably easily double that cost in a very short period.

France looking several strides better than Uzbekistan here, pity this game is the easly one want to wach the later one but have to watch the hurling.

Oliver Torres is just such a special player.

If they want to use them foam cans they should do chalk outlines of a player that has been fouled and needs medical attention.
    Good effort by Suso there

The Eurosport commentary is bad, it's really bad. "this is the bad side of Spain" as they play it around the back and midfield. If its not on to go forward then it's not on, why would they want to just needlessly give away possession for no reason?

And now we are being told that Deulofeu won't ever be a top player, fantastic.

He hasn't quite lived up to the hype, though. Did okay in the group stages but he had a poor game against Mexico. They were better when he went off. I've been disappointed by his performances.

Uh oh, Spain in trouble now. Uruguay leading.

• Advertisement

Laxalt looks good for Uruguay, he is an Inter player now. Goal Uruguay!

He hasn't quite lived up to the hype, though. Did okay in the group stages but he had a poor game against Mexico. They were better when he went off. I've been disappointed by his performances.

Not a great tournament, not bad though either and certainly not enough to be written off for all eternity.

I don't know how Bernat ended up marking their tallest player there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Spain have paid for being so poor in the final third. Jese has to go off imo or maybe Suso.

Uruguay deserve that. They defended well but Spain seemed to offer little variety attacking. Should of buried one of those headers in ET.

Surprising result. It's there for the French if they keep their form up. I think they've the best squad by some distance now.

Spain and strikers, who'd have thought it would be the curse of a generation?

Real shame, they were so good last Summer in the under 19 Euros, and there is so much quality in that squad but too many under performed in that game. I don't want to be too harsh, after all it was a header from a corner in extra time that lost them the game and they had some big chances, looking back they'll feel as though they should have won this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The Eurosport commentary is bad, it's really bad. "this is the bad side of Spain" as they play it around the back and midfield. If its not on to go forward then it's not on, why would they want to just needlessly give away possession for no reason?

they play too many passes going backwards which results in a boring game sometimes
    i think Spain are too obsessed with possesion statistics & need to play more forward passes

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Lot of people here were saying Uruguay's had his time considering the senior side is one of the older national sides on average if I recall correctly, coupled with their poor showing in the Olympics. Props to the U20 side tonight.

Spain need to dump all the non-La Masia players.

• Advertisement

Iraq vs Korea - Excellent

2-2 after 90, Iraq took the lead 2 minutes from time and Korea equalised in the 122nd minute.

Penalties to come, hope Iraq can do it.

Iraq win!

2 really well taken goals. Fancy Ghana though they look the better side.

Cracking assist for that goal, great feet and disguised pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ah Jaysus I was looking forward to penos there, state of the 2 boys on the line :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Number 7 and 10 for ghana look like two good talents

Two very enjoyable games today!

• Advertisement

No overstatement to say that France could be at least 2 up by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Very strong french squad. Lot of first team experience,Thauvin reminds me of Ben Arfa

1-1 now not for the first time in the tournament France have let a team back into it. Could easily be 2-1 Ghana now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I really love how Iraq play their soccer, a lot more entertaining than u20 Spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

ixu83vrF94FJx.gif

Adnan's accuracy is crazy

• Advertisement
Advertisement