Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Deposit

Options
  • 18-06-2013 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I could find anything after a quick search of forum so I thought Id start a new thread. If it doesn't suit, please move :)

It's concerning our deposit we received as a group of students, after two semesters (or an academic year) of rent from a difficult landlord. Some of the things listed seems a bit unfair and unnecessary. Is there anywhere I can go that would run through the list given, to check if there's anything he shouldn't be charging us for? I've requested receipts for each thing.
    He is definitely the type who would try to get away with whatever he can, from past experiences and I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of deposit returns or rights. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

sup_dude wrote: »
    Hi,
    I could find anything after a quick search of forum so I thought Id start a new thread. If it doesn't suit, please move :)

It's concerning our deposit we received as a group of students, after two semesters (or an academic year) of rent from a difficult landlord. Some of the things listed seems a bit unfair and unnecessary. Is there anywhere I can go that would run through the list given, to check if there's anything he shouldn't be charging us for? I've requested receipts for each thing.
    He is definitely the type who would try to get away with whatever he can, from past experiences and I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of deposit returns or rights. :)

This by anychance is student accom off campus in limerick? Fairly similar to my situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 YeDirtyHoor

threshold.ie is the place to go.. call them and get in contact through email with them. They are very helpful and free!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Fire a few on here. The guys here are a helpful bunch who can give their (sometimes) educated opinions about what is legitimate or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Hi op if it's general wear and tear that's up to the landlord but if the place has holes in doors, floors, carpets or walls etc. then that would be up to you to pay.

I am taking a guess here but he is saying the place is dirty so needs to be cleaned also needs to be re-painted as you have damaged that.

Needs new furniture items such as beds and other small items.

You need to contact Threshold as stated already they know everything and will inform you of your rights and if it comes to the stage where your deposit is witheld then you will have to bring a case to the P.R.T.B.

A landlord can not keep your deposit unless you have completely destroyed or stolen stuff from the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

bennyl10 wrote: »
    This by anychance is student accom off campus in limerick? Fairly similar to my situation.

Oddly enough, it is :D
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Fire a few on here. The guys here are a helpful bunch who can give their (sometimes) educated opinions about what is legitimate or not.

One is the cleaning, I'm fairly certain he can't charge for because, as far as I know, he did it himself.
    Another, is a crack in the bath upstairs (which I can't vouch for as I used the downstairs shower so never seen it) that he says goes over his idea of normal wear and tear. He's replacing the whole bath and charging us the price of the new bath. This one I'm not sure of.
    The other two things are the excess bills (which, if accurate, are fair enough) and three replacement remote controls because the battery covers were missing from them, which he is also charging for.

• Advertisement

Hi op if it's general wear and tear that's up to the landlord but if the place has holes in doors, floors, carpets or walls etc. then that would be up to you to pay.

I am taking a guess here but he is saying the place is dirty so needs to be cleaned also needs to be re-painted as you have damaged that.

Needs new furniture items such as beds and other small items.

You need to contact Threshold as stated already they know everything and will inform you of your rights and if it comes to the stage where your deposit is witheld then you will have to bring a case to the P.R.T.B.

A landlord can not keep your deposit unless you have completely destroyed or stolen stuff from the property.

No repainting, or new furniture.
    Luckily, he hasn't withheld the deposit and already sent us cheques. However the amount we got back was a fraction of the deposit.
    Nothing stolen or completely destroyed either :) (Although, he has tried to pin a broke window on us before, after a break in)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Cracked bath, replacement remotes and excess bills are not wear and tear. I think he is justified charging for these. Are you sure he did the cleaning himself, and was the place left in a state that it would need cleaning?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You can ask for receipts for all amounts that have been withheld. If he cannot provide them then he cannot deduct them but tbh it sounds like you all left the place in a bit of a mess. A crack in a bath? I can't see any cheap way to fix that. A replacement would be the only way to do it and will cost alot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Request receipts for anything deducted. If he can't provide receipts, you would have a claim but if he does then it seems what he's deducting would be fair. Crack in a bath especially as stated. Saying you didn't see it cos you used downstairs won't fly as you most likely know. The usual applies, check a list of inventory and condition of place when you move in & out.

Bath would need to be replaced and would be costly. If he cleaned himself he cannot deduct for that.

Cracked bath, replacement remotes and excess bills are not wear and tear. I think he is justified charging for these. Are you sure he did the cleaning himself, and was the place left in a state that it would need cleaning?

Fair enough! :) Yeah, I'm sure. He had said so when asked for a receipt for it. The cleaning was mostly in the gaps between the cooker and the cupboards, which we couldn't reach.
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    You can ask for receipts for all amounts that have been withheld. If he cannot provide them then he cannot deduct them but tbh it sounds like you all left the place in a bit of a mess. A crack in a bath? I can't see any cheap way to fix that. A replacement would be the only way to do it and will cost lot.

The place really wasn't a mess. It was relatively well kept, especially compared to other houses. The battery covers for the remote controls and the crack were about all that was wrong with it. How the crack got there, I have no idea. The replacement of the bath included the new bath, the cost of replacement and the disposal of the old one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

sup_dude wrote: »
    The replacement of the bath included the new bath, the cost of replacement and the disposal of the old one.

Perfectly entitled to have that taken out of your deposit. I'd say he kept receipts too. Tbh at this stage it wouldn't be worth your while trying to even claim back for any cleaning he done himself. I know he can't charge for cleaning he did himself but if he had to go through the hassle of replacing a bath I'd say he was fairly miffed about it. Prob the reason he charged for replacement remote controls too lol.

Yawns wrote: »
    Perfectly entitled to have that taken out of your deposit. I'd say he kept receipts too. Tbh at this stage it wouldn't be worth your while trying to even claim back for any cleaning he done himself. I know he can't charge for cleaning he did himself but if he had to go through the hassle of replacing a bath I'd say he was fairly miffed about it. Prob the reason he charged for replacement remote controls too lol.

He was furious that the crack was there... but he yelled at us a lot over everything, whether it was our fault or not. He also got angry with our parents, if there was ever a complaint put in. Him being angry about the bath wasn't a surprise. The surprise was the fact there was a crack there, none of us knew about it :o
    We're only after finding out about the deposit at the end of last week, which is why I'm only asking about it now. I don't think it would be fair to charge us for something because he was angry about something else. He has taken quite a bit out of our deposit, and given that he was prone to blaming us for things outside of our control, this is why I felt the need to check :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

as others have said,. outstanding bills . Cracked bath and the remotes are all valid. The cleaning may not be but TBH if the bath was cracked your lucky he isn't holding the deposit to see if there will be water damage as you can be sure even if not visible now that water damage will occur

Advertisement