Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Questions about facetime

• 18-06-2013 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a new puppy and was wondering if it was possible to use facetime to check in on him? I've never used facetime before so i have no idea, so please excuse the stupid questions.

I have an ipad that I could leave at home, set up facing his crate with facetime on. I then have my iphone. The iphone and ipad have different apple user accounts. Would this work & how much internet usage would it use it? If the facetime is active on the ipad all the time, can I check in & out / call it with my phone, say every hour or so, or does the connection get re-set or does someone need to answer it?

I know the best way to do this is to have a webcam set up, but i think thats a bit beyond my IT skills.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭shanec1928

wont work if you want to call every so often as you need to answer a facetime call. the only way it could work is if you answered it at home then had consistent mobile data to keep the call active then pause it and check in that way. although you will go through the battery in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fortjames

true, for FT call you need to answer it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

mel.b wrote: »
    I'm getting a new puppy and was wondering if it was possible to use facetime to check in on him? I've never used facetime before so i have no idea, so please excuse the stupid questions.

I have an ipad that I could leave at home, set up facing his crate with facetime on. I then have my iphone. The iphone and ipad have different apple user accounts. Would this work & how much internet usage would it use it? If the facetime is active on the ipad all the time, can I check in & out / call it with my phone, say every hour or so, or does the connection get re-set or does someone need to answer it?

I know the best way to do this is to have a webcam set up, but i think thats a bit beyond my IT skills.

iPad no, mac yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭shanec1928

3DataModem wrote: »
    iPad no, mac yes.
    you can FaceTime on an iPad..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

shanec1928 wrote: »
    you can FaceTime on an iPad..

Not auto answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Thanks everyone. I think you've lead me to the solution anyway! I didn't know about autoanswer and googling that lead me to remote access for the PC. So what I think I can do is have skype set up on my home pc, and skype on the iphone and call home and using remote access answer the skype call on my home pc :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I think you need an ip camera.

Try looking at a baby monitors in the App Store. I have used them. There very good. But that was on the same network.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There's an app called "presence" which you can link up and check in over wifi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Thanks all. the remote access with LogMeIn and Skype is working perfectly :)

Advertisement