Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use title of Director if I'm a sole trader?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

The Op ordered his new business cards 5 days ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

oregano wrote: »
    I'm challenging the assumption that people, already perhaps inundated with business cards, should be asked to try and work out what you do. Unless you specifically work with hammers, or 90s pop stars, I'd suggest your own business card defined your job title. So I could remember why I have mr hammertime's card in the first place.

And perversely, perhaps the OP could indeed put the title Chief on his card. Or is it slightly mocking to do so? :)

Well if he didn't put his name on the card, you probably wouldn't know whose card you had, and so cosnufing you even furhter. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

GHER wrote: »
    Hi, I'm putting some business cards together and I'd like a bit of advice please.

I'm a sole trader for an estate agent and I'd like to know if can I put the title of Managing Director or Director on the card without breaking any laws or be deemed to be misleading anyone or misrepresenting myself?

I have also thought about "Proprietor", "Principal", "Principal Surveyor" and "Manager" but none of them have the same weight in my opinion as Managing Director or Director. I'm honestly not being snobby about it if that's how it's coming across, I just want to have as much gravitas as I can when trying to get business.

Am I breaking any laws by putting Director or Managing Director on the cards?

If so, has anyone any suggestions as to what I could put on the card or should I just stick to one of the options above?

Thanks in advance to any advice given.

This is total BS. Irish estate agents are regulated by law and must be professionally qualified and licensed. Call yourself an estate agent or anything suggesting that and you are open to prosecution. Furthermore you cannot be "a sole trader for an estate agent".
    I really wonder about the stuff written above. A sole trader is just that - YOU are the entity, i.e. Joe Bloggs trading as XYZ Whatever. If the business activity fails you are personally liable even to the extent of bankruptcy. If what you write is representative of your business skills, coupled with the total lack of inductry knowledge I would not bother to get cards printed!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GHER

This is total BS. Irish estate agents are regulated by law and must be professionally qualified and licensed. Call yourself an estate agent or anything suggesting that and you are open to prosecution. Furthermore you cannot be "a sole trader for an estate agent".
    I really wonder about the stuff written above. A sole trader is just that - YOU are the entity, i.e. Joe Bloggs trading as XYZ Whatever. If the business activity fails you are personally liable even to the extent of bankruptcy. If what you write is representative of your business skills, coupled with the total lack of inductry knowledge I would not bother to get cards printed!

That's a bit harsh. I'm a fully qualified estate agent with a degree in property management and valuations. My query was simply is it unlawful to use a certain title in terms of company law. I am now of the opinion whether it's unlawful or not, it's most definitely misleading which is why I opted for Principal. Perhaps you should read posts properly before jumping to conclusions about people.
    In addition, you are totally incorrect in your statement that estate agents cannot be sole traders. I am fully aware of the concept of what a sole trader is. I would question your own business knowledge and suggest you refrain from replying to subjects you obviously have little knowledge of.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

That's a bit harsh. I'm a fully qualified estate agent with a degree in property management and valuations. My query was simply is it unlawful to use a certain title in terms of company law. I am now of the opinion whether it's unlawful or not, it's most definitely misleading which is why I opted for Principal. Perhaps you should read posts properly before jumping to conclusions about people.
    As you are a sole trader, you are not under jurisdiction of Company Law.
    I don't think the title "director" is protected (unlike Doctor etc.)

• Advertisement

In addition, you are totally incorrect in your statement that estate agents cannot be sole traders. I am fully aware of the concept of what a sole trader is. I would question your own business knowledge and suggest you refrain from replying to subjects you obviously have little knowledge of.

I never said that an estate agent could not be a sole trader, read my post. In your OP you said “I'm a sole trader for an estate agent” which legally and grammatically is nonsense and shows a total lack of knowledge of basic commercial law.

Companies, ltd, unltd or SE have directors; partnerships (limited or otherwise) have partners and sole traders are just that. If you are Jane Smith and you decide to call your business Boggy Homes, the ‘Boggy Homes’ simply is a business name, and has no legal personality. The actual business is Jane Smith or Jane Smith trading as Boggy Homes (t/a if you prefer). You are not a principal, director, manager, whatever, and trying to give yourself a fancy title is nonsense, makes you look stupid and certainly will not sell houses.

You assert that you are a qualified estate agent – well, I’m not one but I know that in their training they study a considerable amount of law – and the law of ‘agent and principal’ in depth – and your posts to date show a total ignorance of those topics, which are integral to the work of an estate agent. Furthermore an estate agent has to be both approved by and registered with the PSRA and I very much doubt that you have gone through that form-filling process given the lack of knowledge you have indicated in your posts.

Equally, the process and form-filling involved in obtaining the requisite PI insurance would have highlighted the basic lack of knowledge shown in your posts. All that is why I was 'harsh' and I still strongly suspect from the evidence that you are somebody who shows houses for an agent on Saturday afternoons and want to do up a fancy card and title for yourself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GHER

I never said that an estate agent could not be a sole trader, read my post. In your OP you said “I'm a sole trader for an estate agent” which legally and grammatically is nonsense and shows a total lack of knowledge of basic commercial law.

Companies, ltd, unltd or SE have directors; partnerships (limited or otherwise) have partners and sole traders are just that. If you are Jane Smith and you decide to call your business Boggy Homes, the ‘Boggy Homes’ simply is a business name, and has no legal personality. The actual business is Jane Smith or Jane Smith trading as Boggy Homes (t/a if you prefer). You are not a principal, director, manager, whatever, and trying to give yourself a fancy title is nonsense, makes you look stupid and certainly will not sell houses.

You assert that you are a qualified estate agent – well, I’m not one but I know that in their training they study a considerable amount of law – and the law of ‘agent and principal’ in depth – and your posts to date show a total ignorance of those topics, which are integral to the work of an estate agent. Furthermore an estate agent has to be both approved by and registered with the PSRA and I very much doubt that you have gone through that form-filling process given the lack of knowledge you have indicated in your posts.

Equally, the process and form-filling involved in obtaining the requisite PI insurance would have highlighted the basic lack of knowledge shown in your posts. All that is why I was 'harsh' and I still strongly suspect from the evidence that you are somebody who shows houses for an agent on Saturday afternoons and want to do up a fancy card and title for yourself. :D

That was a typo, I had meant to state that I am a sole trader as an estate agent. Fully licenced with the PSRA. Thanks for feedback:rolleyes:

Well then the best of luck with it. Call yourself by your name; that is what your business title is. Legally you are not the ‘Principal’ and as a sole trader calling yourself that makes you look stupid. Somebody buying or selling a house does not give a rats about what you call yourself (i.e. your ego). Just go do the business, it is the individual and the work he/she puts into the project that counts, not some meaningless title. There is enough BS in that sector already; don’t add to it, differentiate yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Girls, girls; you're both pretty :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Sole Proprieter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

"Principal" was an excellent choice of word. Not pretentious and also ensured that someone you are dealing with knows you can make a decision.

Maybe one day you will be well know enough to just give the agency name & number.

I believe Steve Jobs just had the apple logo and his number on his cards - :)

But also for others - it depends on what the cards are used for. My cards would be used by people selling me things - hence mine are simple with company name + my name + email. If they have an issue, its their loss, not mine.

In the OP's case - he is doing the selling, so the card has to reflect that. His customers probably like to know they are dealing with the main guy and not an assistant who has to go back and forth with queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Using the title director implies you have a limited company so I wouldn't use it.

Do a Homer Simpson and call yourself Junior Vice President.

The shame of knowing:
    Compuglobalhypermeganet
    I think these have actually being registered as domain names. LoL

Advertisement