Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late to sow spuds?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

My spuds still haven't flowered, would I be as well to just pull them up? they're a desperate looking plant and I could do with some of the soil for my composter. Will definitely plant them earlier next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Some varieties don't flower so it doesn't mean there s a problem. It's probably a good time to dig them up as the slugs might start acing a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Tulipout wrote: »
    My spuds still haven't flowered, would I be as well to just pull them up? they're a desperate looking plant and I could do with some of the soil for my composter. Will definitely plant them earlier next year.

I'm going to guess that you mean, instead of having deep green bushy plants, they have thinned out somewhat and now you can see the stems more easily?

If the leaves have shrivelled and are going brown, it's time to pull them up. What's the harm in pulling up one plant to see?

I pulled mine last week for this reason and got some HUGE spuds, (Roosters).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

didnt want to start a new thread, so said id add in here....need some advice.

planted potatoes and varoius other things in the new garden this year and now am starting to pull them. the potatoes are absolutely delicious, but the issue is that about 30-40% of them are tiny.

if i put them back in the ground, will they grow to full size like the other 60%-70% or is it too late now for them to develop fully?

any tips to avoid this next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

No, if you dug them up they are no longer attached to the plant. So they would either end up rotting or sprouting and producing new potatoes from itself.
    So when did you plant them? How did you prepare the ground with feed? Did you feed and water them at all during the summer?
    Generally speaking march to april is a good time to plant. Add compost, manure or granular fertiliser where you plant them, they are hungry plants.
    Once the start to flower the baby tubers are forming. So then is a good time to make sure to keep up with watering. It is also a good idea to give them a potash feed (like tomato food) to help the tubers grow.
    Main crops need approx 20 weeks to mature.
    Just some general points to help you work out what may have gone wrong.
    Btw, because of the long cold spring and then the drought a lot of people have been disappointed with their crop. Key thing was to up the feeding and watering to help the plants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Just to add to what redser7 said.

I too had plenty of small spuds ,amongst my good size spuds. Growing them in raised beds, they do require a good watering, since the drainage in the beds is so good. Especially in such a dry summer.

Pulled them up and I wasn't expecting much as the plant root came up bare. But after emptying bag, this is what I got.

Got the above from a prox 50 l bag and will defo go again next year as the roosters were very tasty and spotlessly clean. One thing I will do next year is water twice daily and maybe go with a taller bag.

Advertisement