Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naval ring

Options
  • 18-06-2013 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I hope you can help with this sticky situation.

I have a 13 year old daughter who really wants a navel ring. I am completely against the idea because I feel she is too young. Easy so far.

Being the the caring Dad, I want to no, but with proper reasoning rather than just no.

She thinks that there is an artist that will carry this out if we give her permission. I am sceptical but would rely on the experts here for opinions.

must say they we are not against the idea in general but want to wait till she is 16-18

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated

RG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

You're in luck. No respectable piercer will touch her at 13, even with consent. It's a health hazard. If she managed to find someone who'd do it, it could be all kinds of wrong, whether it be pierced at a wrong angle or with crap metals that will react badly. Navel is an awkward piercing to heal at the best of times, so getting it done by a dodgy piercer will only increase the chances of it being a failure and leaving her with scar tissue, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There are piercers out there that will pierce her without your permission if she's determined enough.

Try to teach her about proper piercings, how badly a piercing could be affected if she got it done by someone who was not reputable. How it could swell, get infected, leave scar tissue, be crooked etc.

Unfortunately tattoo's and piercings in Ireland have no laws, so while there is an abundance of reputable places here, there are also the odd few who have no scruples and as long as they are getting paid will do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

You're in luck. No respectable piercer will touch her at 13, even with consent. It's a health hazard. If she managed to find someone who'd do it, it could be all kinds of wrong, whether it be pierced at a wrong angle or with crap metals that will react badly. Navel is an awkward piercing to heal at the best of times, so getting it done by a dodgy piercer will only increase the chances of it being a failure and leaving her with scar tissue, etc.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I don't think she would go behind our backs, what would be an appropriate age.

Don't want to give her a full negative but maybe wait till you are xx

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

I would like to bring her to talk to an expert.

Would you have any recommendations in the Dublin area ?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

As someone who started getting pierced at 15 and had about 10 by the time I did my Leaving Cert, I'd say just wait until she's old enough for a reputable place to pierce her. Good studios have sensible guidelines, so that the piercee must be old enough to understand the different risks of various piercings. At the end of the day, piercings are a relatively productive outlet for teens. If properly taken care of they can heal back to a point where they're barely noticeable, so not nearly as risky as tattoos.

EDIT: In Dublin, there are a handful of reputable studios who I'm sure would be more than happy to talk you guys through the risks and reasons for age guideline. Wildcat Ink (Jervis and Stephen's Green), Snakebite (Abbey Street), Connected Ink (Crown Alley, Templebar) and Zulu Tattoo (Strand Street, next to Jervis) are all reputable places that I've had personal experience with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

One issue with her age is she is still growing and that may really hinder the healing and risk of rejection of a piercing. That's one of the main reasons piercers avoid young customers.

My sister got that done at maybe 15 and had loads of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 veryniceme

at least she's honest to you. she will do it anyway later without your consent, so might as well go together to get it done, and make sure she takes care of it with the proper antiseptic, no swimming for few months (summer is coming, and i'm sure she wana show it off)

Advertisement