Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemo at UCD

• 18-06-2013 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys,

I'd really appreciate some help. I've just found out that my 2-year-old cocker spaniel has grade II mast cell tumors. She had three lumps removed last week - all three have come back as MCT, but two need further surgery to get greater margins. She's going in for that tomorrow. The vet has said that he's going to put her on a drug-based chemo once she's recovered from tomorrow's surgery. He then said if this doesn't work, that chemo at UCD Vet Hosp would be the next step. I know this is expensive, and that my insurance won't cover it (as the initial therapy will bring me over my limit). Does anyone know how much this kind of therapy costs? I know I might be jumping the gun here, but I want to know I can do it for her, should it come to that, so an idea of cost would be good. Thinking practically is all I have right now :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Very sorry to hear about your dogs diagnosis, but as its Grade II and not III the prognosis is much much better for mast cell tumours. It's difficult to estimate the cost of chemo to be honest as it depends what protocol you go on. It could be a mixture of prednisone and vinblastine, or a 3 or 4 drug combo. It really depends on what the clinician feels best after their workup.

At a very rough guesstimate, set aside €300-500 initially. I'm only saying this as my dog went through a chemo protocol for lymphoma (18 weeks each time) and the bill was around this.I got 3 rounds of it. UCD will give you an estimate anyway after your first consult. They wont perform any procedures without your consent, so even if you can only pay for the initial consult then that's ok. They will also accept a payment plan too but may require a deposit up front first if the final bill is likely to be high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ElleBelles

Oh thanks so much anniehoo... I could totally afford 500, but the vet implied it would be significantly more - around the thousands. But a payment plan would be brilliant, that's a relief. And thank you for the encouragement over grade II versus grade III. I just want to cover all bases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

ElleBelles wrote: »
    Oh thanks so much anniehoo... I could totally afford 500, but the vet implied it would be significantly more - around the thousands.

Im being quite conservative on my estimate though and i should have mentioned i did get a discount so depending on what protocol your dog gets put on and if you need a blood test each time it could well be significantly more.I just dont know the current treatment plan for MCT unfortunately. :o My dog had to get a CBC or complete blood count (€21) each time she got a new drug so that can add up too. Anyway...i am guessing, but the main thing is they wont do anything until you give the ok and it wont have to be paid all at once.

Edit: i should add it all depends on how your dog reacts to the chemo too. Generally dogs tolerate chemo really well with little or no side effects. but it really will be one week at a time so again this will also affect the final amount too.

Advertisement