Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLEASE HELP - JC Repercussions!!!

Options
  • 18-06-2013 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

So basically, i just finished my junior cert today with metal work. the exam started at 2 o'clock and i arrived late at about 5 past 2, max. So having missed all instructions given before the exam , the examiner didn't care to say them again and just nodded at me as i walked in, i looked around and saw a free desk with a paper on it so i sat down at it ( i thought it didn't matter where we sat as my normal seat for the entire exams was being used and people were shuffled around) so i sat down and did the exam. i was last to finish and while handing up my paper and about to walk out, the examiner called me back, it turns out he marked me absent on some sheet he had to fill out because he thought my exam number was the one on the desk. So i told him where i was coming from and he didn't want to know, he called me a f**** fool and told me i f**** up the whole system he then made me sit down in the class room and continued to shout at me for messing up his paper work ( couldn't he just change it?) at this stage i apologized several times and acknowledged i had made the mistake, he continued to tell me how i f**** up his paper work. he finished by telling me go away and that i would face massive repercussions for this from the department as he was going to have to file a report and give them all my details.He also accused me of doing two exams when i personally handed him my single exam paper and then accused me of doing an exam for my friend?!

i'm looking for someone to tell me :
    1. what these repercussions could be?
    2.can i complain to anyone about this mans behavior as i was quite upset after
    3.is it really that big a deal?
    4.is he being legit or just trying to frighten me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sunflower3

Don't worry about it. You should be fine.

Your exam paper with your exam number on it should have gone with the rest of the papers from your centre to the SEC to be corrected.

The superintendent's paperwork might need a note to explain what happened.

Its highly unlikely that you will ever hear about this again so relax and enjoy the summer.

No excuses for the way you were treated though .... Maybe talk to your principal about that.

Good Luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 twelvethrees

puts my mind at eaaase ahah

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

I am thinking that the examiner was an jacka** because it was mainly his problem for not being aware of his surroundings.

well he was some old man that fell asleep half the time so that explains it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Wow ... your examiner is ****ed up. Why would a teacher/examiner even roar at a student for no legit reason ... wow ... if he offended you, I would report him for the lolz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

So basically, i just finished my junior cert today with metal work. the exam started at 2 o'clock and i arrived late at about 5 past 2, max. So having missed all instructions given before the exam , the examiner didn't care to say them again and just nodded at me as i walked in, i looked around and saw a free desk with a paper on it so i sat down at it ( i thought it didn't matter where we sat as my normal seat for the entire exams was being used and people were shuffled around) so i sat down and did the exam. i was last to finish and while handing up my paper and about to walk out, the examiner called me back, it turns out he marked me absent on some sheet he had to fill out because he thought my exam number was the one on the desk. So i told him where i was coming from and he didn't want to know, he called me a f**** fool and told me i f**** up the whole system he then made me sit down in the class room and continued to shout at me for messing up his paper work ( couldn't he just change it?) at this stage i apologized several times and acknowledged i had made the mistake, he continued to tell me how i f**** up his paper work. he finished by telling me go away and that i would face massive repercussions for this from the department as he was going to have to file a report and give them all my details.He also accused me of doing two exams when i personally handed him my single exam paper and then accused me of doing an exam for my friend?!

1. He left an extra exam paper on a desk. I'd say that's enough blame on him already. If he nodded at you, he allowed you into the room without confirming your attendance. As it was 5 minutes, he probably wasn't expecting other people to walk in from the bathroom, so the fault is entirely his.

2. He was probably terrified of the repercussions for himself and took them out on you. I would however, get a parent to phone the school to find out the situation. He threatened you with the ever-ominous 'Department'; it's wrong to do that to a 15 y/o. Let the school know exactly what happened, particularly your entrance and the paper already on the table. Also of his accusations and tone. People like that shouldn't work with kids. (Also report the swearing).

3. For him, yes, for you, not in the slightest.

4. Yep, he'll probably have to file a report. Which is why I'd say notify the school. You're not a cheater, so being up front is a good idea.

I could nearly guess his name, there's a teacher in my school who calls people f**cking muppets, fools and tools.

For the future, a great way to shut up a person like that is to ask for their name.

It's like a magic courtesy pill :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

For the future, a great way to shut up a person like that is to ask for their name.

It's like a magic courtesy pill :rolleyes:

This. Also, rank/identification number where possible. It's the adult equivilant of your mother asking "Could you come here for a minute?" in that voice that makes you remember every bad thing you've done in the last month.

You can eff and cuss all you want, a calm, steady voice will always be much more effective.

cheers for that lads :) yea i said that alright when he was shouting away, i just went 'yeh shouting at me isn't gonna change anything' and i was told be polite? makes sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

He's annoyed at having to do a little bit of extra work which will point out he let someone in without checking.
    The problem is not yours.

He has a cheek threatening you. I would report him to your examinations secretary. They need people who let the exams run smoothly, not loons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

spurious wrote: »
    He's annoyed at having to do a little bit of extra work which will point out he let someone in without checking.
    The problem is not yours.

He has a cheek threatening you. I would report him to your examinations secretary. They need people who let the exams run smoothly, not loons.
    +1

We don't need bad examiners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

1. For you, I'd say miminal - you will (I assume) be the only student that entered material with your exam number.. As for him...
    2. Yes complain to the teacher in charge of the exams and/or your principal. His conduct was well out of order.
    3. Nope, it shouldn't be that big a deal
    4. Just trying to frighten you. FFS all he has to do on his attendance sheet is circle where he put the x to mark you absent and write at the bottom of the page candidate xxxxx was marked absent in error and actually sat higher level... It explains it in his booklet

Just to point out the repercussions for him though... If the school complains to the sec over his conduct and just say he was fired -- he would not get paid for ANY of the work done over the last 2 weeks (that is my understanding of it anyway) so my guess (or hope) is now that he had time to reflect he is sorry for his ott reaction and shi**ing a brick in case a complaint is made

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

AFAIK, he'll get paid but won't be hired if he applies next year.
    Proper order if he is using bad language to candidates. No excuse for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

I have to be honest. My first reaction when I started to read your post, particularly the bit about the instructions which 'the examiner didn't care to say them again' was that it's just tough. He doesn't have to repeat instructions for late candidates.

However, as I continued to read, I think your superintendent was way out of line. They are required to act in a responsible and professional manner. To use such language, particularly when directed at you is disgraceful and unacceptable. You need to report him immediately, directly to the State Examinations Commission even.

I would get your parents/guardians involved too if I were you. Things tend to be taken much more seriously when it's a parent complaining. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LawdyLad

I personally would not have tolerated that. I would have said what he said right back at him, including all the swearing. What a miserable trout of a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

.......He also accused me of doing two exams when i personally handed him my single exam paper and then accused me of doing an exam for my friend?!..............

It could end up as your word against his if he's a proper numpty and claims you cheated!!! I think just to be on the safe side you should report this now exactly as to what happened and what was said..(maybe if you had a friend who overheard the conversation too).. Start with your principal/vice principal... Just to cover his a$$ he could be of a mind to 'loose' your paper so he wont have to make ammendments (highly unlikely but not unpossible!).

Advertisement