Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to produce a film from scratch?

Options
  • 18-06-2013 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I have an idea for a film that I intend on directing, in theory it should be low-budget enough and it is conceivable that it could be entirely made in Ireland. Trouble is how do I go about bringing together all the bits and pieces that would make up my film, from obtaining finance to obtaining a film crew and from finding a suitable person to produce the musical score to marketing the film at home and possibly the British market?
    PS: the film I have in mind is an espionage film set during the Cold War, in and around the Iron Curtain.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Hard to shoot something in Ireland and make it look like it's set in Eastern Europe. Not impossible - but quite hard.

First thing you need to do is write the script. An idea is only good if it's executed properly.

The script is what will attract talent to the project so start from there and then build. Once you have it written I would advise you to start talking to producers and production companies. Find out who is actively making low budget features in Ireland (good ones that is) and approach them.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bigfellalixnaw

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Hard to shoot something in Ireland and make it look like it's set in Eastern Europe. Not impossible - but quite hard.
    It shouldn't be so hard when you consider that parts of 'The Spy Who Came In From The Cold' were filmed in Ireland; I could be wrong now but I the think either the check-point Charlie scene or the final scene were filmed in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Hey OP,

Have you directed anything else yet? A lot of people would say that before you jump into directing a feature, you should try to make at least a couple of shorts(though this is not a hard and fast rule ofc). The experience you gain there will be invaluable. It's one thing reading about it or watching behind the scenes on DVDs, and a completely different experience actually going out there and making something.

I was in the same position as you not that long ago. I've made two shorts since and one is going to be showing at the Galway film fleadh now.

Meanwhile, I'm working on a feature length script that I hope to shoot at some stage. Have you done any reading up on screenplay structure and format? That is essential before you start. Also read lots of sample screenplays.

As Anonoboy said, a strong, polished script is essential before you go any further, because that is what will attract people to the project.

However, I would add that having at least one decent short directed is just as important so people know that you can actually direct and pull a project off. Once you've shown that, it will be easier to build for your bigger feature length project and you'll probably make contacts along the way that will help you as well.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It shouldn't be so hard when you consider that parts of 'The Spy Who Came In From The Cold' were filmed in Ireland; I could be wrong now but I the think either the check-point Charlie scene or the final scene were filmed in Ireland.

I did not know that.

When you said Iron Curtain I immediately thought of snowscapes and that but that's just me. Your story might be totally different. We do have lots of buildings that could pass for Soviet Russia around the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Was reading an American Cinematographer from a few years ago this week and they had a piece about Defiance, set in WWII Eastern Europe, lot of the stills made it look similar enough to Ireland. Mainly forest set though, so if you're thinking cities, I'd be keeping the action indoors. Definitely not impossible though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bigfellalixnaw

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    We do have lots of buildings that could pass for Soviet Russia around the place!
    You should check out Tralee, lots of buildings dating back to the 80's, cold, depressing yet offer opportunities for social progression only to have people desperately want to leave the country.

Advertisement