Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shave your dog for summer?

• 18-06-2013 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what you all think and do? I've heard conflicting reports. I've a golden retriever and he doesn't like the heat. I'm doing my best to keep him cool but he is too warm. I'm wondering should I get his coat clipped down. Maybe not shaved but clipped short.
    My dog groomer said she has been doing this for a lot of dogs, particularly huskies and that the vet is recommending people do this to keep pets cool.
    I don't know what to do...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It wouldn't be for me, to be honest. It might not look too bad on a Retriever actually, but I've seen a few shaved huskies and Pom around, and they look awful!
    But I know it's not about looks, it's about comfort. I bring my GSD down to the beach, or river, every day for a paddle and a dip. I also bought a fairly cheap fan so that the air in the room is always on the move. You could also freeze some sardines to make doggy ice-pops! Or freeze some yogurt or other goodies in a Kong Toy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

DBB wrote: »
    It wouldn't be for me, to be honest. It might not look too bad on a Retriever actually, but I've seen a few shaved huskies and Pom around, and they look awful!
    But I know it's not about looks, it's about comfort. I bring my GSD down to the beach, or river, every day for a paddle and a dip. I also bought a fairly cheap fan so that the air in the room is always on the move. You could also freeze some sardines to make doggy ice-pops! Or freeze some yogurt or other goodies in a Kong Toy.
    Yeah I've tried it all. Doggy ice pops. Keeping him in the shade, inside, down to beach, he even loves the hose! I know it will grow back and it's for his comfort. His coat is his thing haha I'm sure I'd get used to it, it's not about me though. I was relieved when she said the vet recommended it, I don't want to do any damage to his coat or to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Even Huskies?

Very inexperienced groomer and owner if they do. A husky's coat should never ever be cut or shaved. But that's a whole other conversation.

On topic...

Id imagine a coat trim may help most breeds. Plenty of fresh and cold water, shade, a change to early morning or late evening exercise times. A swim, hose off or other water activity. Indoors as much as possible. Never leave in a car. If you feed raw, feed partly frozen.

Edited to add (a Husky has a double layered coat which sheds twice yearly):

Dogs do not sweat like humans. Their cooling process is done via panting from the mouth, sweating at the paws and cooling the blood in their ears. Shaving the dog does nothing to keep the dog cool. It just makes the human feel better when looking at the coated dog.

The Siberian Husky has little to no pigmentation in its skin. If you shave the Husky, you expose it to the sun without protection. Now you have a dog that can come up with a variety of skin problems. Another reason to NOT clip / shave your Husky is that the fur acts as a protection against insects and parasites. You remove that protection the dog is exposed to even more insect problems than he would have had if he had been allowed to keep is protective coat.

Furthermore, if you clip / shave a Husky it will eventually ruin the coat and disturb the proper shedding process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My friend just got her retriever's coat thinned by a groomer, she looks lovely and seems much better in the heat.
    The groomer just thinned out the coat and trimmed it up a small bit, I only noticed as I saw her two days before and she was really hairy.
    The groomer said she'd look silly shaved and this would look more natural and be more comfortable. It does look natural, just thinner and a bit shorter.
    Just make sure it's a good groomer you go to.

Yeah I thought the husky being shaved was a bit strange myself. I think I'll get him clipped down but not shaved. He's a small set retriever and I think I'd be horrified if I saw him shaved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Please don't shave a retriever :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

You could try a Chillow. They do them in various dog sizes. They are basically a permanently cold pad the dog sits/lies on and apparently they're supposed to be good for inflammation too. I stumbled across them last year and bought one of the human ones for my dad as he has a lot of inflammation in his neck and back. They aren't cheap but it's a one off. I got it from their website as Amazon don't ship them to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

You could try a Chillow. They do them in various dog sizes. They are basically a permanently cold pad the dog sits/lies on and apparently they're supposed to be good for inflammation too. I stumbled across them last year and bought one of the human ones for my dad as he has a lot of inflammation in his neck and back. They aren't cheap but it's a one off. I got it from their website as Amazon don't ship them to Ireland.

I must look into this. A chilled pillow. As a graphic designer, i love the name! Chillow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Hooked wrote: »
    I must look into this. A chilled pillow. As a graphic designer, i love the name! Chillow.
    I keep thinking of getting one for myself but there's always something more urgent to buy:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

mymo wrote: »
    My friend just got her retriever's coat thinned by a groomer, she looks lovely and seems much better in the heat.
    The groomer just thinned out the coat and trimmed it up a small bit, I only noticed as I saw her two days before and she was really hairy.
    The groomer said she'd look silly shaved and this would look more natural and be more comfortable. It does look natural, just thinner and a bit shorter.
    Just make sure it's a good groomer you go to.

This sounds like just the job!

Dogs are extremely poor at losing heat, their cooling systems aren't particularly efficient, particularly given the hugely exaggerated coats we've forced on a lot of breeds. For this reason, putting coats on dogs can be a little dangerous.
    Hooked, I'd disagree that they *can't* lose heat through their skin... of course they can, from the point of view that they don't have a big coat insulating them any more. So, heat exchange can happen more efficiently at the skin's surface.
    I clip my Shih Tsu X every few months, and she shivers if the weather is at all cool afterwards... that's the only time I'll stick a coat on her. Have seen this many, many times in rescue dogs I've had to shave to get rid of matted, manky hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Funny the groomer saying vets recommend it when 'Pete The Vet' warned against getting dogs shaved because they can get sun burnt last week on TV3!
    Anyhoos I'd never clip/shave my retriever! I keep him well groomed so a good going over with rakes and slicker at least once a week so no loose dead hair to sweat him and his coat does it's job and keeps him cool. I walk him early in the morning and into the river in the evening to cool off and keep his walks short. I bring water on walks and do up ice for him and frozen kongs etc etc. I'd sooner put one of those cool vest things on a dog than get them clipped for summer - we get a few weeks of sun if we're lucky then back to the usually rain and damp - I know I'm not the only one who had the heat on last week when it was damp lol! My retriever lies out sunbathing when it's warm - even he knows the sun is a novelty! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I keep my Shih Tzu fairly short anyway. But I do clip him down in the summer. He's clipped with a 3.75mm blade in the winter, and I usually clip to a No.5 in the summer. Funny, I was talking to my husband tonight about clipping him shorter to a No. 7. My boy's a furball and he grows so quickly! He was only clipped three weeks ago and already he's looking a little shaggy!! It was another hot day today, so he only had a short walk. He was knackered by the time he got back!

I've never tried the frozen yogurt in the Kong, nor the sardine ice lollies. Must try that sometime...

I usually take water with me in the summer and keep the back door open so he can hop in and out as he likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Not a pillow, but you can also soak a towel in cold water, wring it out and put in the dog's bed/crate. Nice cheap solution :D

No I won't shave him I'll just get him a good trim, shorter than usual but not shaved. Pete the vet said not to shave them? Hmm maybe I should re think my choice of groomer. I thought it was a bit funny hence why I asked for advice.
    Thanks all, would be horrible to shave a retriever. It's part of their charm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

Our 2 love the water so I bought them a paddling pool to dip in and out of. I had to hop in to show them that it was a pool to splash in and not just a giant water bowl to be drank!
    €4.99 in Argos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I got one of those fifi but they had no heed on it. Kept my feet cool during summer 2013! Lexi used it as a giant water bowl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Try throwing some pieces of apple or carrot into the pool and let them go bobbing for them. That'll encourage them to get into the water. It's also an excellent spectator sport, especially when the cats try to join in. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mark.Smith90

Some useful advice I found online for this situation :)

Water and Food

A seemingly obvious solution, but one that is essential and easy to forget is to provide a constant supply of water nearby for your dog. A large, low rimmed container is best as it will not need to refilled as often, is more difficult to knock over and can be accessed by dogs of all heights. Keep it in the shade if possible and if you like you could add ice-cubes occasionally to keep it nice and cool for your furry friend, which they may enjoy crunching between their teeth and playing with.

Food can also be used to help your dog feel less hot. Keep sealed cans or pouches of dog food in the bottom of your fridge serve it cool. Adding cold water to dry food is another option that will not only be another cool treat, but can help keep your dog hydrated and reduce the thirst often felt by dogs after consuming dry food.

Environment

Another thing crucial to keeping your canine cool is a shaded area for them to rest in. This could be inside your home, a doghouse or your garage. Trees and large bushes may also provide shelter from the sun.

One way many dogs love to cool down is in a paddling pool or a similar container. They can both sit and splash about in it as well as drink from it. Sprinklers or hoses may also be a good option but some dogs may not be fans.

Avoid having your dog in your car or a conservatory, but if you must keep the windows open as wide as they can be without being an escape route for the ‘Houdini’ dogs out there. Water should also be provided, especially if leaving the dog in a parked car. Leaving your dog in a car for long periods during a hot day is unadvised as it may cause your dog to die

Air-conditioning is a great way to keep a dog cool on a day where there is no wind or if the dog is inside.

Exercise

Limit excessive exercise during the day and on particularly hot days walk your dog in a shady, cool area and avoid hot pavements or roads which may burn the pads of their paws if they aren’t wearing booties and give off a lot of retained heat. Try to mainly walk your dog early in the morning, late in the evening or at night if possible.

Bringing your dog to a beach (where allowed) can be great fun and good exercise for them while keeping cool in the water. Just make sure you bring fresh water and bags for cleaning up after your pooch! A shallow, slow moving river may also be a good option if there is no beach nearby.

Grooming

If the dog has a long or thick coat, bring them to a groomer for a cut or trim, unless you are one yourself, to provide some relief from the heat. If you are a minder make sure you ask the dog’s owner first! Brushing the coat can also remove excess hair to cool them down and is enjoyed by many dogs.

If the dog has short hair, is hairless or has exposed skin and spends time outside during the summer days, applying suncream is advised to prevent sunburn and the uncomfortable heat and pain caused by such burns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I shaved my Shih Tzu down to a No5 in the summer. Last year, he had a 7 all over and felt much better for it. Weather's been so warm (where we've had good days), I'm thinking of taking him down to a 7 again. He was clipped only 2 weeks ago and already is a furball! :(

Advertisement