Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Battery drained, need urgent advice!

• 18-06-2013 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭

I think my battery has drained somehow, and I'm now stuck in town with my bike feeling like an idiot...
    Any suggestions for what I can do to get home with my bike?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Push start? Whereabouts are you stuck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Showing my novice-ness... How do I do a push start? In near Camden street/portobello

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

I think my battery has drained somehow, and I'm now stuck in town with my bike feeling like an idiot...
    Any suggestions for what I can do to get home with my bike?

Who are you insured with? You may have breakdown cover.

Get yourself to any bit of a slope, sit on bike, turn on ignition, push off as hard as you can with your feet, clutch in, in neutral, when you've gained enough speed with your push, flick into second gear, as you're clicking into second, give a little jump on the seat to gain traction.

Leave the bike tick over when you get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Find a nice flat section of street. Stick her in second. Start running like fcuk with the clutch in and ignition on. Once you get to a decent speed jump on the bike while you release the clutch. With any luck the bike should start up. Grab the clutch in quickly and compose yourself. Do not turn the bike off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Showing my novice-ness... How do I do a push start? In near Camden street/portobello

Pull the clutch in, put the bike in 1st or 2nd gear, roll the bike forwards then till you get a bit of speed/momentum {ignition on}...then pop the clutch. If the bike fires up, pull the clutch back in then so not to stall it

Or as pixie said, a slope if you can.

As you're new and I'm pretty sure it's a cruiser you have, I wouldn't suggest running with the bike, definitely sit on it.

Easy enough to run with a cruiser. Some of them are lighter than their sports bike counterparts.

Soundman wrote: »
    Easy enough to run with a cruiser. Some of them are lighter than their sports bike counterparts.

Ah, just that he's new enough, the bike kicking into action might take him by surprise and as he's in a busy part of town, there'd be a bit of traffic around, wouldn't like the bike to get away from him.

• Advertisement

Good thinking, Pixie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

1) Put it in second gear and leave ignition on
    2) Pull the clutch in and leg it... with the bike
    3) Jump on the bike and drop the clutch, when you hear the engine try to tick over pull the clutch in and rev it. Might take a you a few goes, easier to do downhill.

Good luck!

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    easier to do downhill.

Unless it doesn't work the first time. ;):D

OP let us know that you manage to get the bike home, leave it tick over when you get home. I'd get up 10 minutes earlier in the morning just in case you have the same problem and you need to find another way to work.

How are you getting on? I can come out to you if you need? Should take me about 15/20 minutes this time of night I guess.

Had a couple of mates try push me, but not a tick out of it. Ignition lights come on, lights will come on, but starter does nothing!

I'm hoping the silence means he's motoring :)

EDIT - oh no :( coil? starter motor? Do you know a man with a van to get you home?

Have you tried shorting the starter relay? Make sure you use something insulated so you don't do yourself a mischief if you do try it. Let me know if you need me to come out. I don't have a huge amount of knowledge but I might be able to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I know this may sound stupid but did you check the handlebar switch is in the engine run position.

I know this may sound stupid but did you check the handlebar switch is in the engine run position.

Good point. Check your killswitch OP. If the bike was parked on the street all day, someone may very well have sat on it and flicked the switch, or you may have done it yourself by accident.

• Advertisement

That might explain the no starter sounds.

Kill switch was fine, toggled it to be sure, but still nothing. Recovery guy on his way, mates going to give me a lift home after. :(

Kill switch was fine, toggled it to be sure, but still nothing. Recovery guy on his way, mates going to give me a lift home after. :(

Ah feck OP, that's a balls :( starter motor or generator would be my guess so.

Keep us updated anyway, mate. Recovery guy going to be able to bring it to your house? Have you got a charger and a multi-meter?

Do you by any chance have an alarm with immobiliser installed? Could the immobiliser be acting the maggot?

No, I'll get him to bring it to a garage. Friend suggested JPs, I was thinking maybe Cotters (nearer me and my work) any thoughts?

I've no tools really, and no immobiliser

JPs is grand, so is Cotter's as far as I have heard. I was asking because if you were near me you could borrow the charger and I have some tools (socket set, multi-meter, other bits and pieces) here too if you needed. I'm in Fairview.

Also a mechanic I use in Crumlin is pretty awesome too if that is easier still?

Soundman wrote: »
    JPs is grand, so is Cotter's as far as I have heard. I was asking because if you were near me you could borrow the charger and I have some tools (socket set, multi-meter, other bits and pieces) here too if you needed. I'm in Fairview.

Based out in Clondalkin, so nowhere near, but thank you!

• Advertisement

Ah no worries. Hope you get sorted. If you want my mechanic's number who, as I said, is in Crumlin, just let me know.

Advertisement