Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Battery drained, need urgent advice!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I know this may sound stupid but did you check the handlebar switch is in the engine run position.
    Read my mind... happened to me once when I was starting out and boy, was my face red! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Turned out it was the battery!
    The recovery guy jumped the bike off his van, and away I went!

Thanks for all the advice lads and ladies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Happy out. At least it's an easy fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Turned out it was the battery!
    The recovery guy jumped the bike off his van, and away I went!

Thanks for all the advice lads and ladies!

Now go back and re-read bump starts :P

Unless you're trying to turn over/bump start a ready heavy engine (HD V-twin, BMW etc) they're easy once you get the hang of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Now go back and re-read bump starts :P

Unless you're trying to turn over/bump start a ready heavy engine (HD V-twin, BMW etc) they're easy once you get the hang of it.
    For big singles, I put mine in gear, pull it back against the compression so its just after TDC and then bump.
    The extra swing you get from not having to force the piston over compression really helps.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

CJhaughey wrote: »
    For big singles, I put mine in gear, pull it back against the compression so its just after TDC and then bump.
    The extra swing you get from not having to force the piston over compression really helps.

So you put the bike in gear and then walk the bike backwards for a bit

Then you bump it by going forwards and letting the clutch out to fie the engine

Is that what you mean?

Thanks.

paddy147 wrote: »
    So you put the bike in gear and then walk the bike backwards for a bit

Then you bump it by going forwards and letting the clutch out to fie the engine

Is that what you meean?

Thanks.
    Yep you have it. It means the engine isn't swinging straight into compression as you let the clutch out.it has one full revolution before compression starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

Yep, always practice bump starting - you never know when it will come handy. Learned it the hard way when Fazer's battery went down (after me leaving the ignition on all night.. doh!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Even walking my bike is a pain in the hole. I cant even get onto it unless its on the side stand.

I couldnt imaging getting onto it while holding it let alone running with it and then jumping on, lol

Yep you have it. It means the engine isn't swinging straight into compression as you let the clutch out.it has one full revolution before compression starts.

Thanks.....happened to me a good few years ago (2008 actually) with my SP1.

Absolute biatch of a bike (1000cc V-Twin Superbike) to try and jump start.
    I gave up in the end,as I just couldnt get it to fire up,and it left me panting for breath from trying so much.:(:o

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Sp1 has two cylinders working against each other, so you can't apply the same theory of putting it in the right position for bump starting etc.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Sp1 has two cylinders working against each other, so you can't apply the same theory of putting it in the right position for bump starting etc.

So how would you bump start an SP1,Ducati or any similar V Twin superbike?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

paddy147 wrote: »
    So how would you bump start an SP1,Ducati or any similar V Twin superbike?

I honestly wouldn't even bother trying. Even my old SV650 was a nightmare to bumpstart.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    I honestly wouldn't even bother trying. Even my old SV650 was a nightmare to bumpstart.

Thats what I did back in 2008 with the SP1.I gave up as I was knackered from it.

Took the battery out and charged it up for a few hours instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Wouldn't be keen on 'backing' an engine that way.......timing chain tensioners only work in one direction. ...and that's not backwards.

Go forward maybe, but not back. ....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Wouldn't be keen on 'backing' an engine that way.......timing chain tensioners only work in one direction. ...and that's not backwards.

Go forward maybe, but not back. ....

You are only pulling the engine back to after TDC, not over the compression stroke.
    I read an interview with Freddie Spencer years ago that detailed how he had to push start the RS1000RW, back when all races were dead engine starts.
    Fast Freddie wasn't that big a guy and he was having problems starting that beast.
    A little HRC mechanic was watching him struggle and came over put the bike in 3rd gear and rolled it back until it started to feel resistance and then walked forwards and let the clutch out and it fired up straight away.
    I don't consider it an issue and have done it many times over the years with no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

How you getting on, horse? Get the bike sorted? Did it just need a decent charge or was there anything else afoot?

Advertisement