Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wheat and sugar free cupcakes

Options
  • 18-06-2013 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi
    (first time poster in here)

Hope this is the right place to ask.

Having a small party at the weekend and one of the girls is intolerant to wheat and sugar.

Would like to make her something nice as she is usually left eating popcorn while everyone has cake!

Bought wheat free flour and splendid sugar, tried making cupcakes earlier but they were horrible so looking for some help :(

Nothing too difficult

I know this is asking a lot but hopefully someone will have some ideas

Thank

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've moved this to Cake & Pie, you're more likely to get helpful replies in here.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Is she intolerant to sugar or diabetic? If it's the latter you could make a flourless chocolate cake using chocolate with a high cocoa content (70%). If it's the former I'm afraid I can't think of anything.

Btw, Splenda is no use for baking because it doesn't have the same volume as sugar. There is a Splenda/sugar blend for baking available, but only in the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fungums

damn shes intolerant(less sever than allergic I think) so no chocolate cake :(
    Thanks tho :)

Actually I just remembered I posted a recipe here that uses buckwheat flour rather than wheat flour and has no sugar in it. Don't know if that might work for her.

Thanks, it looks promising. will try it tomorrow
    Any idea where I would get the buckwheat flour or could i use the wheatfree one?

• Advertisement

Got the buckwheat flour in a health shop. No idea about whether you could substitute wheat-free flour for it, but somebody else might know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Is she actually wheat-intolerant, or gluten-intolerant?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Is she actually wheat-intolerant, or gluten-intolerant?

wheat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Zaph, or indeed any other posters, could you give me links for any sugar free recipes too please - cupcakes or otherwise.

We think my daughter is allergic to sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Health food shops will have wheat free flours, like Dove's Farm. Odlum's Tritamyl flour is available in supermarkets. Sugar free recipes are more difficult, particularly as you can't know how sensitive the sufferer is and that's the nub of the thing. You might produce something perfectly tasty and edible but it may still affect the sufferer. She may methodically go through all the ingredients with you and either accept it or refuse to touch it. Some sufferers can't bring themselves to refuse, eat the food, and then suffer later in silence. It might be wise to have a chat with her before the day to get ideas first. She might be ok with fruit or vegetable sugars, so a wheat-free sugar-free banana or carrot cake might work.

• Advertisement

Zaph, or indeed any other posters, could you give me links for any sugar free recipes too please - cupcakes or otherwise.

We think my daughter is allergic to sugar.

I'm diabetic, rather than allergic to sugar, so it won't make me unwell like someone with an allergy. As a result I can get away with occasionally eating something with high cocoa content chocolate like the flourless chocolate cake I mentioned above. However not knowing how sensitive your daughter is to sugar it's not really worth taking a risk that she might be OK with something like that. Your best bet would probably be to have her tested properly. However in the meantime you could try these cookies instead of cakes. I have to admit that I haven't gotten around to trying them myself yet, so I really can't say if they're any good or not. I'm not sure if you can get sugar free chocolate chips, but if not you could just chop up a piece of a diabetic chocolate bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Pjays

I have used Stevia before in baking and I found it fine. You don't have to alter the measurements at all eg. 75g of caster sugar is 75g of stevia. I'd suggest spelt flour as well. A good place to look for recipes is on pinterest. It's my go to for alot of food related things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Popcorn contains sugar for a start.

How in the name of goodness is someone intolerant to sugar? EVERYTHING we eat has some natural sugars in it. It's what our bodies primarily run on.

I can't actually think of anything that has no sugar at all. Apart from fake food, or highly processed fats. Even butter contains sugars.

Poor child. Sounds like crazy parent syndrome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

pwurple wrote: »
    Popcorn contains sugar for a start.

How in the name of goodness is someone intolerant to sugar? EVERYTHING we eat has some natural sugars in it. It's what our bodies primarily run on.

I can't actually think of anything that has no sugar at all. Apart from fake food, or highly processed fats. Even butter contains sugars.

Poor child. Sounds like crazy parent syndrome.

Let's stay on topic and not get into the whys and wherefores.

Advertisement