Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding photography payment

• 18-06-2013 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,
    I wonder if anyone could tell me, what is the normal way to pay the wedding photographer?
    Is everything paid before the wedding? (or some before, and then the rest before the pics are delivered?)
    Also, do the photographers usually want the payment all at once, or do they often take installments over a period of time?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can give me any advice!

La chica

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

All of the above really. Depends on the photographers terms and conditions. None of what you've quoted is particularly unusual.

A deposit would be normal on booking and likely full payment for your selected package prior to the wedding, but it really does depend on the photographers terms and conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Yep it can vary a lot from photographer to photographer. It's certainly not unusual for everything to be paid for before the wedding. Just make sure everything is written down in contract and agreed by all parties before. Things like final completion date are often overlooked. I couldnt tell you how many times we've seen posts on here saying this photographer hasnt delivered my wedding photos 2 years on etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Half upfront and half on completion seems the fairest. If you pay him up front he has no incentive to get the work completed properly, or on time. If the customer pays on receiving the photos they can just not pay ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

If everything is stated in a legally binding contract then both parties have very real incentives to complete their obligations. I would agree though, half payment before and half on completion does seem the most fair to me. However it's certainly not unusual for full payment to be expected before hand for wedding photography.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lachica

Thank you to everyone for the very helpful replies.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Ours was a third upfront, a third on the day and a third on delivery of the album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Ours was a third upfront, a third on the day and a third on delivery of the album

This makes sense, and is a normal fee structure in many types of business. I would never pay for a service up front. If I was asked to pay in full up front, it would raise too many questions about the business...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

It would to write up a contract with the photographer that suits both parties.

How, the method whether cash, cheques, direct debit, paypal (or others), the price for the shoot, instalments or lump sum, how many photos you will receive and the photo album (whether it should be prints and/or on a disc) and the period the photo should arrive by, though you should allow a reasonable amount of time for the arrival of the photos (two weeks to a month, maybe slightly more)

The contract is legally binding so the photographer would have to complete what is written

Advertisement