Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tackling dog aggression

• 18-06-2013 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Just a question, I've two yorkies- one just over a year old, the other 8 years old. Recently the youngest has been starting fights with the older one, as well as with the other dogs that are often around the house (family house).

Is there any way to get this in check? training? exercise? I really love him and I really just want to work on getting his behavior under control. He's such a loving, lovely dog.

Both yorkies are both male and intact so I imagine its an act of dominance but he's fighting with the other dogs too (including neutered female).

Please please don't let this thread go off topic to an pro/con neutering thread, we're really looking at alternative methods of sorting out this behavior. We don't want to have to resort to neutering (due to bad experiences).

Any advise appreciated, thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phelo2121

Unfortunately if you even brought the dog to a behaviourist the first thing they would ask you to do if have him nuetered as his hormones are most likely thr cause of this behaviour especially since he is after reaching one and then this behaviour begins . anf although this is being fuelled by his hormones the behaviour s will stay with him for longer if nothing is done .sorry know this isn't the answer you wanted but ive had experience with dog aggression and the first thing I was asked was that the dog was nuetered and spayed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

A qualified behaviourist will ask is your dog and other dogs in the home neutered as an information-gathering exercise. It is not correct to say that they'll automatically recommend neutering, because if they're worth their salt, they'll know there are some other options open to the op before taking the ultimate step.
    OP, this problem may be treatable without necessarily having to race down the neutering route: the fact that you mention that he's aggressive towards females too would suggest that this is not entirely hormone-related, it more suggests there are problems regarding his social skills. If there is a social-skills element to this, you can neuter him as many times as you like... It won't stop him being aggressive in social settings.
    It's because diagnosis by internet forum is so risky, particularly in matters of aggression, that I would strongly recommend you get a good, qualified behaviourist on board. They'll come to your home, try other behavioural options, give you a proper diagnosis and consequent prognosis.
    There are a lot of unqualified self-titled behaviourists out there, so you need to be careful. If you let us know where you are, with any luck someone will be able to recommend a reputable, qualified behaviourist.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phelo2121

the behaviourst I visited wss the top behaviorst /vet in ireland and she explained to me that before even seeing a dog or bitch with aggression issues she would ask that they be nuetered and after sic months she would then start working on the behaviors. just giving my experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

phelo2121 wrote: »
    the behaviourst I visited wss the top behaviorst /vet in ireland and she explained to me that before even seeing a dog or bitch with aggression issues she would ask that they be nuetered and after sic months she would then start working on the behaviors. just giving my experience

Even before seeing the dog she suggest neutering? Then waits six months? Doesn't sound very professional to me.

OP, what are the triggers before a fight starts? Are there particular situations that spark fights? Is it sudden and without warning or are there signs that a fight is about to start. What is his body language like before a fight begins? That he is attacking females- like DBB says- suggests aggression that could be related to fear or anxiety. How is he on/off leash?

phelo2121 wrote: »
    the behaviourst I visited wss the top behaviorst /vet in ireland and she explained to me that before even seeing a dog or bitch with aggression issues ask that they be nuetered and after sic months she would then start working on the behaviors. just giving my experience

I appreciate that was your experience. I know what behaviourist you're referring to, but just because she's a vet does not make her a "top" behaviourist, let me assure you. "Top" behaviourists have brought their training and qualifications up to date in the past 10 years!
    In any case, there are several behaviourists in Ireland who are more highly qualified in applied companion animal behaviour.
    For starters, as fatmammycat points out, advising a surgical procedure without even seeing the dog is a major no-no.
    It has been shown again and again that neutering does not necessarily lower aggression in dogs (it depends enormously on the root cause of the aggression, as mentioned already. That's very often not hormones), and in bitches, neutering can actually increase aggression... Your "top" behaviourist is not keeping up to date on her research, it seems. But that's what happens when one doesn't update one's studies in a field that has developed hugely since one got their qualification.
    Plus, this idea of bringing a dog to the behaviourist is a model not used, or at least studiously avoided, by "top" behavioursts, because you miss out on a huge amount of behaviours that neither dog nor owner will reveal in an off-territory setting. Particularly in a case such as the OP's, a big chunk, if not 100% of the problem is happening at the dog's home, and is intimately related to the fact that the dog is on home turf. It has long been recognised by "top" behaviourists that treating a dog for such problems in a clinical setting is a waste of time and money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Its a pity we cannot have a sticky with a resource thread with list of people who come recommended by fellow board members. We could include online shopping sites, places to stay with your pet etc. Also links to sites with helpful information. They have a similar thread in the watches and timepieces section.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Its a pity we cannot have a sticky with a resource thread with list of people who come recommended by fellow board members. We could include online shopping sites, places to stay with your pet etc. Also links to sites with helpful information. They have a similar thread in the watches and timepieces section.

We (mods) will certainly have a discussion about this bullseye, it seems like a good idea! The first stumbling block will be having another sticky, as we've recently been asked to reduce their numbers.
    We'll have a chat about it in any case.

Thanks DBB.

Just an idea how about placing it in the subforum? Would do away with the need for another sticky. Anyway I'll leave it to you guys.

Advertisement