Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All nighters before an exam, do it or not?

• 18-06-2013 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭

I have my last exam this Thursday and I need a whole lot of study for it if i want to do good in it. Are all nighters any use or Will I get super tired by the time of the exam. I see a lot of people here have been doing it, did it **** you up for the exam or did you get much needed study done?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Been through the entire system - leaving cert and four years of college. A good nights sleep is essential to perform well. You won't learn much new cramming late the night before.

Now that's just me and my experience. I'd sooner sleep then cram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I'm all for cramming before an exam, but for my last exam I stayed up way too late, and I was too tired during the exam to think straight. I ended up rushing to get out before the last 30mins because I was ready to fall asleep. What I usually do, and it works pretty well is go to bed early, then get up and cram before the exam. Then you're not tired but everything is fresh in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

All rational advice will tell you to get a good nights sleep the night before and that anything you cram in will not stick.
    However my experiences with exams were always the opposite and I depended on the last minute cramming to get through them. Just make sure you get some sleep. And if its your last exam you can crash out afterwards.
    Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

It might not be a bad strategy at this stage to study late enough this evening (but not all night), sleep in, and then try and get a good day of work in tomorrow as well after getting a good sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭VincentLeB

It depends. If you have most of the work done and you want to spend the whole night revising, you'd be better off just getting the rest.

But say you haven't done any work at all, and there's no chance of you remembering it no matter how rested you are, then it actually makes sense to cram. At least if you've seen something once, you can remember it, but if you go to bed and hope the comfy sheets will enrich your knowledge, you're only kidding yourself then.

Personally if I've done fück all, I will cram the whole night, go to bed at about 05.30, and get up at 07.45. Therefore, I've tricked my mind into thinking it's got sleep, I've got a good bit of revision done, and the adrenaline and rush of the exam gives me a boost so I never feel tired.

But if you're fairly OK with the stuff, I agree it's better to just get a good night's rest. But as I said, if you don't know the stuff anyway, there's no harm in cramming — no matter how much sleep you get, it's not going to pop in if you don't know it!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭alphamule

if ya dont know it now pat ferrgettaboutit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

There's not a hope I would pull an all-nighter before an exam. A good night's sleep is important before an exam as you can concentrate fully during the exam itself and besides you won't gain much from last minute cramming anyway. If you've put in the majority of the work you should just spend your evening revising and maybe a bit of cramming and then bed at the normal time - routine is important. Whenever I'm studying I go no later than 10:00. I find it at lot easier to do a big exam well rested and relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

BX 19 wrote: »
    Been through the entire system - leaving cert and four years of college. A good nights sleep is essential to perform well. You won't learn much new cramming late the night before.

Now that's just me and my experience. I'd sooner sleep then cram.

I will vouch for this. Leaving Cert twice, four years of college and another leaving cert right now! A good nights sleep works wonders... if you stay up all night kiss the next day goodbye for any sort of decent study!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

I did it for my last exam and tbh it really helped me as I way prefer studying at night and if you could sleep a bit tomorrow or something..
    I had most of the day before my last exam to study but still I didn't do much till that night :eek: it completely depends on you though! Like if you are prepared I'd say you'll be fine without cramming otherwise its not a bad idea as it is your last exam and think of all the sleep you will get once its finished :D
    Definitely try and get 2-3 hours before it though and best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Back in college I usually amended my sleeping pattern around exams so that id get my normal sleep hours in but would also ensure I was up hours before my exam. Usually meant sleeping a lot during the day and studying at night. Might not be everyones cuppa tea but I found night study more peaceful with less distractions. Plus the 5-6 hours before going to an exam really worked for me in terms of remembering last minute stuff. Good luck either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

One lad in my school did the bones of an all nighter and slept through the physics exam. He didn't even come in like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

One lad in my school did the bones of an all nighter and slept through the physics exam. He didn't even come in like.

hahahaha, always wondered if anyone ****ed up as royally as to sleep through an exam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Better off getting some sleep and waking up early. I tried staying up until 5am studying for a 9:30 physics exam in college. I woke up at 9:50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

I Know everyone here is saying go to sleep , get your rest, it seems like the right thing to do but it entirely depends on the person! I personally stayed up very late every night before exams to cram and it really helped me!could just be me though i don't usually get very tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

I went to bed yesterday at 2, got up at 6 and studied and im grand :) did it for the 10 exams. good lucccccck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I'd say head to bed at around 11ish or so, and get up around 6ish to study for around 2 hours. I did it this morning for 2 hours and I was grand during the exam. Absolutely wrecked now though! :P

Advertisement