Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glueing down bushings

• 18-06-2013 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Is there really any benefit to glueing down the bushings to a gearbox shell?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

honestly i do not know, i havent played in a few years so its new to me, when working on an engine its a bit of a quick fix for a worn bearing seat to stop the outside of the bearing moving, i could see it doing the same in airsoft i guess, i have some random memories of seeing the bushings spin on one of my old chinaboxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Untamedlemon

bitburger wrote: »
    honestly i do not know, i havent played in a few years so its new to me, when working on an engine its a bit of a quick fix for a worn bearing seat to stop the outside of the bearing moving, i could see it doing the same in airsoft i guess, i have some random memories of seeing the bushings spin on one of my old chinaboxes

Oh that could be it, does a spinning bushing do anything to alter performance do you know?
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

For one it makes gearboxes easier to close.
    Also sometimes it can give better performance as the bearings are more stable.

But there is a difference between bushings and bearings. Bearings are the one that spin and can allow a gearbox to cycle faster.
    Bushings are solid and aren't as fast but are more durable

If you do it though, you will have to remember that you will have to get them out later when replacing your bearings. Bearings will wear out over time and will have to replaced either because they are getting worse or have failed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Untamedlemon

CpcRc wrote: »
    For one it makes gearboxes easier to close.
    Also sometimes it can give better performance as the bearings are more stable.

But there is a difference between bushings and bearings. Bearings are the one that spin and can allow a gearbox to cycle faster.
    Bushings are solid and aren't as fast but are more durable

If you do it though, you will have to remember that you will have to get them out later when replacing your bearings. Bearings will wear out over time and will have to replaced either because they are getting worse or have failed

I use bushings because I like the solidness of them and the peace of mind that they will last quite a long time. I'll probably leave them as they are because from what I understand it doesn't make too much of a difference.
    Thanks for the help lads. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

It's usually done for bearings so probably best to leave them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement