Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bike tax

• 18-06-2013 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭

when taxing the bike today i wondered why cant we tax our bike for 3 or 6 months like you can with a cage,,dose any one know why we dont have that option availeable to us,,would be great to be able to tax it for 3 or 6 months at a time as the bike dont be used as much as before and is probaly 4 months of the year off the road

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I reckon (my own opinion) it's because so many bikers use their bikes only when the weather is good. Because the tax for bikes costs so little anyway, it means that they are getting the full years money out of us rather than just €20 or €30 for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Exactly, however it is not a fair or equitable system.
    Surely any motor vehicle should be treated the same?
    Even car tax is punitive its like a one way valve, once you pay it in it stays in the system, you can't get a refund for taking it off the road.
    Unlike the UK.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Soundman wrote: »
    I reckon (my own opinion) it's because so many bikers use their bikes only when the weather is good. Because the tax for bikes costs so little anyway, it means that they are getting the full years money out of us rather than just €20 or €30 for the year.

You could have used that argument before they introduced the scam CO2 tax for cars. But now some cars are as cheap to tax as bikes and have a 1/4ly option it's not fair that bikes have to pay the full year.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You could have used that argument before they introduced the scam CO2 tax for cars. But now some cars are as cheap to tax as bikes and have a 1/4ly option it's not fair that bikes have to pay the full year.

Didn't know that. The bike is my only transport so I wouldn't know about taxing cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...the original reason for it is that the Dept claimed it would cost too much to administer, for any vehicle where the tax was 'only' 100 iirc.

However, along came the CO2 rates for cars, and all of a sudden you can tax a 2.0 Skoda Superb for 3 months for €29 - so how come that doesn't 'cost to administer' ?

We could all do with writing to Phil Hogan about it, because as long as we're 'all talk', it's never going to change.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

maybe carsQhere could get his buddies in mag to ask a few questions to the powers that be and get a few answers for us :),,

maybe carsQhere could get his buddies in mag to ask a few questions to the powers that be and get a few answers for us :),,

They should do that anyway.

But 500 letters from 500 people is far more effective than 1 letter from a body representing 500. You can't ignore/sweep under the carpet the volume approach...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Phil Hogan ...."How is motorbike tax so low........how come i wasnt told about this before..".........:rolleyes:

If it aint broke...............;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Phil Hogan ...."How is motorbike tax so low........how come i wasnt told about this before..".........:rolleyes:

If it aint broke...............;)

For God sake....dont give that twit any more stupid ideas...:pac::pac::rolleyes::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

was reading the form with the motor tax renewal form there yesterday and it said any vehicle with a tax under 115 euro can be taxed only or 1 year at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,394 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Feckin' CO2 tax :mad: have a Corolla 1.4 shopping trolley (that's pretty much all it gets used for, doesn't turn a wheel all week) under the old tax system, 385 euro due this month :mad: this is a small family car with low fuel consumption (and the annual mileage is TINY) but because it falls under the old system, and we can't afford and don't want a newer car, and they won't let me strap two kids to the rear rack, we're screwed

Meanwhile there are people who can afford to buy brand new BMW 5 Series paying 120 euro - like they need a discount...

Feckin' Green Party idiots. Not only did they screw over people with low emission cars bought under the old system (the people who they should've been rewarding not penalising), they fecked up all the secondhand values as well.

bike tax 88 last month, car insurance paid last month, car tax due end June will pay next month (legally), bike insurance due next month!!! :( sigh

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

ninja900 wrote: »
    Feckin' CO2 tax :mad: have a Corolla 1.4 shopping trolley (that's pretty much all it gets used for, doesn't turn a wheel all week) under the old tax system, 385 euro due this month :mad: this is a small family car with low fuel consumption (and the annual mileage is TINY) but because it falls under the old system, and we can't afford and don't want a newer car, and they won't let me strap two kids to the rear rack, we're screwed

Meanwhile there are people who can afford to buy brand new BMW 5 Series paying 120 euro - like they need a discount...

Feckin' Green Party idiots. Not only did they screw over people with low emission cars bought under the old system (the people who they should've been rewarding not penalising), they fecked up all the secondhand values as well.

bike tax 88 last month, car insurance paid last month, car tax due end June will pay next month (legally), bike insurance due next month!!! :( sigh

well i feel your pain man. and where is nct and other stuff. i can agree abotu the tax. why me paying almost 400€ for old bora i had and some merc fella on 3L engine paying 160... i think thats a joke right...

but the option to pay the tax every 3 moths or half year should be there. i dont see point to put us in such a disadvantage for being a proud bike owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,394 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You get hammered for the 3 month option though. You'd only gain if taking the bike off the road in winter. For a bike or car in year-round use, it's a very expensive form of credit...

NCT on the '04 Corolla was last year, painful enough, I had to change a wiper blade :D

Scrap the cap!

Scare me, Paddy. How much?

Soundman wrote: »
    Scare me, Paddy. How much?

Alot more than the cost of the insurance...put it that way....:pac:

Motorbike tax is feck all,so dont be complaining about it...thats all I will say.

And dont give Phil (I,ll tax the fcuk out of all of yous,and have have loads of freebie junkets/holidays all at your expense) Hogan any more ideas of upping the current motorbike tax fees.

Hey I'm not the one complaining. I love lauding it up in the faces of friends who drive cars. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

paddy147 wrote: »
    Alot more than the cost of the insurance...put it that way....:pac:

Motorbike tax is feck all,so dont be complaining about it...thats all I will say.

And dont give Phil (I,ll tax the fcuk out of all of yous,and have have loads of freebie junkets/holidays all at your expense) Hogan any more ideas of upping the current motorbike tax fees.

its not about the cost in the case of motorbike. its about the system. bikes or cars , they must have pay tax. so why not the same way? if i wanna have a car of the road for summer months i dont need to pay the tax for 3 months - just for example - then get papper of gards and then back keep paying. if i wanna have a bike of the road i will have to pay year quote anyway... the point is there for sure.

Bikerguy wrote: »
    its not about the cost in the case of motorbike. its about the system. bikes or cars , they must have pay tax. so why not the same way? if i wanna have a car of the road for summer months i dont need to pay the tax for 3 months - just for example - then get papper of gards and then back keep paying. if i wanna have a bike of the road i will have to pay year quote anyway... the point is there for sure.

I know what you are saying about the system and I do agree with you about fairness,but its hardly going to break the bank to pay an extra 3 month on top of the bike tax for the 12 months??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Is it this year that the govt is introducing a SORN system for motor tax on cars? By having a different tax system for bikes i don't know if we will be able to avail of that when it comes in. I personally feel bikers should be given an opportunity to tax 3 monthly. TBH i am surprised the govt has not looked into the car tax one any way, ive read a few motors threads about people taxing for 3 months, dodging the next 3 then taxing for next 3 again.
    I only have a 125 so tax is cheap enough for me (at the moment) but i do feel bikers with bigger bikes should be given the same option as car drivers. But then taxation in Ireland has never been fair!

paddy147 wrote: »
    And dont give Phil (I,ll tax the fcuk out of all of yous,and have have loads of freebie junkets/holidays - and bring the GF - all at your expense) Hogan any more ideas of upping the current motorbike tax fees.

FYP :pac: :P

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    FYP :pac: :P

or let the wife know either...via RTE News...:pac::pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Tax on any bike (is there classic tax for bikes?) is €84 (or 80 something euro) a year

in fairness, quarterly or monthly is a bit pointless at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Classic tax is €26....(€ 56 for car)...wayyyyy too much for some..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

kaimera wrote: »
    Tax on any bike (is there classic tax for bikes?) is €84 (or 80 something euro) a year

in fairness, quarterly or monthly is a bit pointless at that price.

Mine was €67 ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

You can buy 6 months of tax for bikes over here, bit crap that you can't do it in Ireland.

Advertisement