Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please! German Memorabilia! Iron cross and a cup/trophy?

Options
  • 19-06-2013 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,

I know nothing about these things and having looked at various websites i figured i should just ask people who seem to be in the know! I have no idea if they are real or fake but they have been in the family for years and my mother knows nothing of where they came from and seemed surprised we had them at all!!! I've tried the magnet test on the cross and a magnet doesn't stick but there does seem to be a slight pull? and I've no idea what the silver? cup even is or what it is called! tried to look up the hallmarks (person sitting, what looks like a harp and a gothic R) and "s. d. neili" but also got nowhere! Any help on authenticity, worth, what they even are would be very appreciated lol! or where i could take them to find out? (im in Belfast)

(sorry for photo quality - took a whim to find out so photos are taken under electric light with my phone!!)

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

Hello miss catface,

Unfortunately, the iron cross looks to be a poor one piece copy, and as to the cup, I have not seen anything like it before. It is not German and I imagine has nothing to do with the third reich period. The swastika was used on a lot of things as a good luck symbol long before the nazis tainted it forever.

Regards - Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 2 miss catface

Hi,

Thanks Danny! Figured the iron cross mustn't be real when it wasn't magnetic! But figured might as well ask! Just have no idea how its ended up in the house along with the other cup thing! And glad to hear you haven't seen anything like the cup! Thought I was being an idiot when I couldn't find anything online about it!! I'll take it to a local antique and see if they can make sense of the hallmarks. Thanks for your help anyways!!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

.....the hallmarks (person sitting, what looks like a harp and a gothic R)

I really do not know much about silver hallmarks, but from what I can gather, this may be an Irish piece. Is there another stamping before the three clear marks? it looks like there is in the picture.

The 'person sitting' could be the city of Dublin hallmark, while the harp could be the Irish Sterling standard mark and the gothic R denotes the year 1912 - 8 years before the NSDAP was formed and 21 years before they came to power, so it's not nazi related.

As to the SD Neill or Neili, I am at a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 molders

Hi, SD Neill was a manufacturer of mainly badges and medals based in Belfast. You see a lot of items from the first two decades of the 20th Century with his companies mark, have a look at this;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW1-PERIOD-IRISH-DUBLIN-WOMENS-UNIONIST-CLUB-ENAMEL-BADGE-ULSTER-UNIONIST-/200933696716?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=ai0PlD7jY19uC%252BWhib5%252BnBsW7bc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The 1912 hallmark definitely puts the cup in the right period for his company. As to what it is I'm guess that the Swastika on it was some sort of good luck emblem.

Advertisement