Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expensive ESB

Options
  • 19-06-2013 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,   
         Just can't understand how my bills are so high for the last 12 months. 
    I live alone & don't be home until 10 pm from work. I only use the cooker 2 to 3 times per week, washing machine twice a week, immersion twice a week, TV 3 hours a day. 
    Have oil heating and still my bills are €250 to €320 every 2 months. 
    Contacted Electric Ireland twice done all the checks and they tell me everything is working fine and nothing wrong as they can see.  
    My brother lives next door to me where there is 6 in the house 24 hours a day & their bill is much cheaper than mine ???
    Any adv

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Noelgl,

Thanks for your message.
    Noelgl wrote:
    Contacted Electric Ireland twice done all the checks

Can you provide further information on these checks, i.e. did you turn off your supply (from the main trip on the fuse board) and subsequently inspect the meter?

We have a number of resources available on our website to help customers keep their bills as low as possible - click here to view them. Our Appliance Calculator web app (also an iPhone/Android app) may be of particular benefit; with it you can estimate how much your home electrical appliances and lights cost to run, and compare the cost of using appliances in different ways (e.g. washing clothes at 40 °C versus 60 °C).

Our recent blog post Understanding Your Energy Bill also gives an example of how a customer used the Appliance Calculator to guesstimate their bill to within €4, so it's generally very accurate.

I hope this helps, and if you have any further questions we'll be happy to help.

Regards,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Noelgl

Hi Dave
               Yes I done all the checks. Turned off all the trip switches etc. 
    my point is there is nothing on in the house only the fridge every day & only 2 energy saving lights for 2 hours at night. My bills have nearly doubled in the last 18 months ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Noelgl,

If you have completed the checks as advised and still feel that more electricity is being recorded than is actually being used by your household appliances, the next step would be to get an electrician to check the internal wiring (see Finding Electrical Contractors on our website).

We would need confirmation that the fault is not internal before we could send out a technician ourselves. If the electrician confirms that there is a fault with the meter (and this is very rare - if/when they do occur, they tend to under rather than over-record consumption) then we will send somebody out.

If you would like us to have a look at your account for you, do drop us a PM (using this link).

Thanks,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

This might sound like a stupid question but are your bills estimated readings or actual readings & have you compared the bill with your meter?

Advertisement