Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive

Options
  • 19-06-2013 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Could you recommend me a hard drive that I could use with this motherboard? I was thinking this as I already have one in my PC, but I guess it's better to get the best compatible hdd you can as one tends to use up space quite quickly. So, say a budget of max €100?

thanks for any and all help. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

All sata drives are compatible, the important thing is which drive is reliable eg seagate, western digital,and the speed of the drive.
    I prefer to buy drives in a shop, not an online store.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,639 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

the vast majority of HDD are reliable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

NIMAN wrote: »
    the vast majority of HDD are reliable.

Well, it's more like nowadays theres little choice :pac: , but my advice is WD over Seagate, if not going the SSD route of course

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭i am an onion

Thanks for the replies.

What's your opinion on this? It is within my price range and it's sata. Would this compliment my other HDD well?

And this one's 3 TB. It's a little over my budget, but is it worth it?

Or this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭whizbang

Red or Green..Hmmm?

I wouldn't go for the 3Tb, its quite new. For main data storage, reliability is more important than the last Byte. Try to find a balance between proven old technology and size, price, features.

The green drives afaik are slower "eco-friendly" ones, don't use them for OS install but for data storage would be suitable.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

The Red drives are similarly slower, and they are designed for NAS usage. If its just for storage, the green drive should be OK. If its for applications, get a blue or black drive. I'd recommend Blue, its a typical usage drive. Black is higher speed but much noisier and more expensive. Also check before you buy that its a newer version of the drive: those will be 64MB cache and SATA 6GB/s

Thanks. I mostly keep things like games, music, movies etc. in my HDD, although I keep some files for uni etc. as well. So would a blue or black be the best bet?

I came across a couple, but I'm not sure what would be my best bet. What do you guys think?

This.
    This.
    This.
    This.

Also, this one is 3TB and this one, but it doesn't say whether it's black/blue etc. What's the opinion in it.

Edit: This one's black, and it seems pretty good for a relatively low price.

Thanks. I mostly keep things like games, music, movies etc. in my HDD, although I keep some files for uni etc. as well. So would a blue or black be the best bet?

I came across a couple, but I'm not sure what would be my best bet. What do you guys think?

This.
    This.
    This.
    This.

Also, this one is 3TB and this one, but it doesn't say whether it's black/blue etc. What's the opinion in it.

Edit: This one's black, and it seems pretty good for a relatively low price.

Even the green ones should be fine for data storage, just don't run your OS off them, (strongly advising get a 128GB SSD for your OS and keep the 2 HDDs for data storage :) )

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

get THE one in the last link,
    136 euro ,harwareversand ,de
    I,M not sure if 3tb drives are reliable ,or proven technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Just remember if you're going to buy the 3TB drive, you'll need to use GPT as MBR won't partition bigger than 2TB.

Just remember if you're going to buy the 3TB drive, you'll need to use GPT as MBR won't partition bigger than 2TB.

Windows 7 upwards shouldn't have an issue formatting them to full capacity, :)

Nick

Thanks for the replies guys.

So it seems this is the favourite then? I have Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, so like yoyo said, I should be able to use it to its full capicity?

Thanks for helping me, again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It depends on what model it is. That black could be a model that is 1 or 2 years old while a newer blue drive or barracuda could be faster. It's hard to get up to date hdd info. If it's just a data drive a wd blue or seagate barracuda would be more than fast enough.

If you need more speed for programs and windows you should be looking at an ssd.

BloodBath wrote: »
    It depends on what model it is. That black could be a model that is 1 or 2 years old while a newer blue drive or barracuda could be faster. It's hard to get up to date hdd info. If it's just a data drive a wd blue or seagate barracuda would be more than fast enough.

If you need more speed for programs and windows you should be looking at an ssd.

I'm really just looking for something to store the TONNE of crap I have, games, movies, music as well as documents.

The price on this is hefty, but I think it may be worth it, based on what ye think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

has delivery come down for single deliveries from Hardwareversand?

Skerries wrote: »
    has delivery come down for single deliveries from Hardwareversand?

I'm pretty sure I could order a single HDD and get it?

How're these ones?

Thy're both 3 TB, whereas the other one is only 2, so would these be a better option?

Not sure about the second one as its only sata 2 but the first one looks fine. 2 year warranty is good too. I think you need a driver for your asrock z77 to use a 3tb drive with it, find it on their website.

It'll be cheaper to buy off amazon unless you're getting a few items (hwvs is €20 delivery)

• Advertisement

Not sure about the second one as its only sata 2 but the first one looks fine. 2 year warranty is good too. I think you need a driver for your asrock z77 to use a 3tb drive with it, find it on their website.

It'll be cheaper to buy off amazon unless you're getting a few items (hwvs is €20 delivery)

Thanks. I found it on amazon, and it is cheaper.

What driver here would I want to get? Would the drivers also be on the CD supplied?

What driver here would I want to get? Would the drivers also be on the CD supplied?

The tool is called ASRock 3TB+ Unlocker Utility. I don't know much about it, maybe you'll manage fine without it. But if you hit any snags then its likely you'll need to use that utility.

The tool is called ASRock 3TB+ Unlocker Utility. I don't know much about it, maybe you'll manage fine without it. But if you hit any snags then its likely you'll need to use that utility.

Thanks. So I just pick my motherboard with that utility and voilà?

Thanks. So I just pick my motherboard with that utility and voilà?

Windows 7 or 8 shouldn't need the unlocking tool

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Windows 7 or 8 shouldn't need the unlocking tool

Nick

So since I have Win 7 64-bit, getting a HDD should be grand? Thanks.

Now it's just a matter of deciding which one.

So since I have Win 7 64-bit, getting a HDD should be grand? Thanks.

Now it's just a matter of deciding which one.

Yes, remember it won't show up in "My Computer" immediately, you'll need to initialize and format it in disk management first

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Yes, remember it won't show up in "My Computer" immediately, you'll need to initialize and format it in disk management first

Nick

Thanks. Anyway, this HDD seems good. I think i'll get it, what do you guys think of it?

Hey, thanks for all your suggestions guys, and the hard drive came today.

Anyway, I'm not the greatest with computers, so I apologise if this is a dumb question. I already have one Hard Drive and it has its two connections. It has the power (which is the big complicated web of wires, am I correct?) and the other one, the SATA cable (the smaller one, if I got the names mixed up). When I went to put the new hard drive in, I connect the power into it. However, there is only one SATA cable in my PC, so obviously I couldn't connect it.

EDIT: Seems this is what I'm missing.

So do I just buy one and connect it? Or is it needed?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Hey, thanks for all your suggestions guys, and the hard drive came today.

Anyway, I'm not the greatest with computers, so I apologise if this is a dumb question. I already have one Hard Drive and it has its two connections. It has the power (which is the big complicated web of wires, am I correct?) and the other one, the SATA cable (the smaller one, if I got the names mixed up). When I went to put the new hard drive in, I connect the power into it. However, there is only one SATA cable in my PC, so obviously I couldn't connect it.

EDIT: Seems this is what I'm missing.

So do I just buy one and connect it? Or is it needed?

Thanks in advance.
    Yes you'll need a SATA cable if you don't have a spare one that connects the HDD into the motherboard (SATA2 port usually, next to SATA1 currently in use, could be SATA3 if the DVD drive is SATA)

Nick

Advertisement