Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jay Z - Magna Carta Holy Grail

• 19-06-2013 7:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

This album is shaping up to blow away every other rap album released so far this year.

Timbo's beats sounding amazing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

i wouldnt say that yet we havnt heard anything from it bar this promo video but i am buzzing for it if these instrumentals are on it...

6459_606690806038402_1826664248_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Rick Rubin what a talent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

This album is shaping up to blow away every other rap album released so far this year.

Timbo's beats sounding amazing

Very premature to say this. As mufcboy says we haven't heard anything from it at all. Those instrumentals in the promo video could be scrapped yet.

I think Cocaine Pinata will be the album to beat this year. Everything we've heard from MadGibbs has been pitch perfect.

Really looking forward to this though. Would love to be a fly-on-the-wall in that studio. There's so much genius going around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Genius.

He's already gone platinum before a single song has been heard.

Hats off Hov. Hopefully now that he's guaranteed number one and a plaque he'll just give us just quality music instead of needing to chase radio hits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Can't wait, classic after classic under hov's belt hopefully he can make it another

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Very premature to say this. As mufcboy says we haven't heard anything from it at all. Those instrumentals in the promo video could be scrapped yet.

I think Cocaine Pinata will be the album to beat this year. Everything we've heard from MadGibbs has been pitch perfect.

Really looking forward to this though. Would love to be a fly-on-the-wall in that studio. There's so much genius going around.

Something catastrophic would have to happpen for this album to fail when you see the producers above working on it

Something catastrophic would have to happpen for this album to fail when you see the producers above working on it

I wouldn't go that far. You could still end up with a fair amount of "Change Clotjes" type tracks.

Heck, one of those would be too much, but it's probably inevitable.

floggg wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far. You could still end up with a fair amount of "Change Clotjes" type tracks.

Heck, one of those would be too much, but it's probably inevitable.

Ah was change clothes that bad now :p

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Ah was change clothes that bad now :p

Yes! And I'm a huge Jay-Z fan. The only people I stan harder for is the Clipse (R.I.P. Malice).

Yes! And I'm a huge Jay-Z fan. The only people I stan harder for is the Clipse (R.I.P. Malice).

Maybe it would have been a better song on another album because it didn't really suit the black album, still I don't think it's an awful tune.

Allure is possibly the greatest jay z song of all time, that whole album was groundbreaking.

• Advertisement

Maybe it would have been a better song on another album because it didn't really suit the black album, still I don't think it's an awful tune.

Allure is possibly the greatest jay z song of all time, that whole album was groundbreaking.

It would be cheesy as hell on any album.

Allure is great, but it's no big pimping. Or Friend Or Foe/22 Two's... Etc.

I don't think it's possible to single out an one Jay-Z song as being ahead of the others.

Except Big Pimping - that's ahead of everything!!

expecting a big improvement from the bp3 which was very weak tbh, def his most commercial album to date and it just sounded to pop-ish for me. Theres a few gems on it like this one which i love...

Its not often you have a rapper who's one of the goats paying homage to others but the last verse puts it into perspective of how long he has actually being around and putting out great music.

theres not many that match jay's longetivity in the game maybe nas but in fairness nasty hasnt been as consistent as jigga for me down through the years at least commercially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Supposedly, there's a million copies free for users of a Samsung Galaxy phone.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/17/samsung-galaxy-users-to-receive-new-jay-z-album-72-hours-early

Anyone know if it's everywhere, or just the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2013/06/jay-zs-magna-carta-holy-grail-billboard-wont-count-free-downloads.html

Billboard are not going to let him take platinum status on the free giveaways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

hard to know what his thinking but you never with jay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Tracklist according to nme

'Picasso Baby'
    'Heaven'
    'Versus'
    'Tom Ford'
    'Beach Is Better'
    'F*ckWithMeYouKnowIGotIt'
    'Oceans'
    'F.U.T.W.'
    'Part II (On The Run)'
    'BBC'
    'La Familia'
    'Jay-Z Blue'
    'Nickles & Dimes'

Plus seen this

10598_10200861899763841_12676756_n.jpg

Gonna sample Smells Like Teen Spirit

nice

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Jamie Cal

The beats on this sound so f-cking good. Jigga man >>>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Have to admit, the audio snippets in the videos sound excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Reckon this album will be class

he sounded as if he was about to cry. think that song Blue is an emotional one.

cant wait for this album

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

So apparently this Maga Carta App is a bit of a deceptive mo'f*cker on your phone.
    It can access your download content, can alter USB settings, can access your call history, can track you via GPS, amongst other stuff.

Killer Mike has been tweeting about it.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    So apparently this Maga Carta App is a bit of a deceptive mo'f*cker on your phone.
    It can access your download content, can alter USB settings, can access your call history, can track you via GPS, amongst other stuff.

Killer Mike has been tweeting about it.

Meh. It's a Samsung app on a Samsung phone. If they wanted to do something sheisty to your phone they could do it without having to pay so much money to Jay-Z to trick you into downloading it

If I saw those app permissions from some two bit developer in China I'd be worried but it's not like Samsung are going to secretly have your phone ringing premium rate numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

So Rick Rubin actually had nothing to do with the album. Hmm that's a little disappointing!

Meh. It's a Samsung app on a Samsung phone. If they wanted to do something sheisty to your phone they could do it without having to pay so much money to Jay-Z to trick you into downloading it

If I saw those app permissions from some two bit developer in China I'd be worried but it's not like Samsung are going to secretly have your phone ringing premium rate numbers.

I'm a software engineer, so I can understand why you need to agree to these features and what extension they would provide, but Samsung can and possibly would use this contract you agree to for thier gain.

For example, the gps and phone book could be used for future development to get you in touch with someone near you that has the album/app. You've essentially entered into a contract to allow that to happen. Whether its done or not is another story.

But the access to the phone book/contacts on the phone is baffling.
    Andy_rse wrote: »
    So Rick Rubin actually had nothing to do with the album. Hmm that's a little disappointing!

Yeah, the interview I read is that he was brought in for the press shoots only and listened to the album and Jay talking about it while lying on a couch.

He said that after stepping from Yeezus to that, he didnt even properly hear the album, just a hip hop record.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'm a software engineer, so I can understand why you need to agree to these features and what extension they would provide, but Samsung can and possibly would use this contract you agree to for thier gain.

For example, the gps and phone book could be used for future development to get you in touch with someone near you that has the album/app. You've essentially entered into a contract to allow that to happen. Whether its done or not is another story.

But the access to the phone book/contacts on the phone is baffling.

Yeah, the interview I read is that he was brought in for the press shoots only and listened to the album and Jay talking about it while lying on a couch.

He said that after stepping from Yeezus to that, he didnt even properly hear the album, just a hip hop record.

Yea, but they would be constrained by data protection and distance marketing laws from doing so.

I appreciate that with Android phones in particular you need to be wary about permission access etc., but to be honest I think with a big company like Samsung they have too many eyes on them not to play by the rules.

• Advertisement

This is gonna be the biggest album of the year I've no doubt about it, his promotion techniques are unmatched in hip hop today

This is gonna be the biggest album of the year I've no doubt about it, his promotion techniques are unmatched in hip hop today

biggest or the best? eminem will have a bigger commercial impact later this year , he'll dwarf every rappers effort in terms of commercial success even if his album is rubbish.

Has anyone with an android device downloaded the jay z app? The album will be available tomorrow on it, wouldnt surprise me if it was leaked over the net aswell.

biggest or the best? eminem will have a bigger commercial impact later this year , he'll dwarf every rappers effort in terms of commercial success even if his album is rubbish.

Has anyone with an android device downloaded the jay z app? The album will be available tomorrow on it, wouldnt surprise me if it was leaked over the net aswell.

Em hasn't announced a name for album or release date or anything yet has he? It'd be like him to delay it and release nothing this year

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Its out guys, listen to full album here

1. Holy Grail (feat. Justin Timberlake)
    2. Picasso Baby
    3. Tom Ford
    4. FuckWithMeYouKnowIGotIt (Feat. Rick Ross)
    5. Oceans (Feat. Frank Ocean)
    6. F.U.T.W.
    7. Somewhere In America
    8. Crown
    9. Heaven
    10. Versus
    11. Part II (On The Run) (Feat. Beyonce)
    12. Beach Is Better
    13. BBC (Feat. Nas, Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, Pharrell, Swizz Beatz & Timbaland)
    14. Jay-Z Blue
    15 La Familia
    16 Nickles & Dimes

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Why does he keep allowing Swizz Beatz on his albums?

Makaveli wrote: »
    Why does he keep allowing Swizz Beatz on his albums?

because Jay wants to gloat in the studio about having a better hairline and hotter wife :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I reckon Alicia Keys told Jay-Z she'd only do Empire State of Mind if he let Swizzy be his friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

haven't heard the album yet ,
    is it really that good ?
    I noticed this morning , even Vinnie Paz is bigging up the album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

jaRrsyK.gif

tumblr_lon63xcN791qhy4q9o1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mattklis

OMG this album is a masterpiece. really this is one of JayZ's best albums he has ever done. Best album from the last 5+ years.

it is really superb both lyricaly and beat wise.

Tim once again shows us why he is one of the best producers out there and JayZ shows again why he is one of the iconic Rappers out there.

You have got to listen to this album period

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankLamar

Not as good as a was hoping tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Album is incredibly disappointing.... Lyrics are very dumbed down and the production is very average throughout. TB3 is a lot better than this but it's a decent effort in fairness.

Picasso Baby (especially), Oceans and Somewhere In America (that Miley line) are standouts for me and I must admit the Beyonce song would sound very nice as the radio single.

Nas has a decent appearance but it's clearly not his style...even he sounds a little dumbed down on the beat. I did like the hint of BIG on Blue as well. The JT track is terrible as is the Rick Ross song which is as bad a song Jay has ever made.

Disappointing though. Nowhere near an AOTY contender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

its far too early to be reviewing the album imo

Dunno why people are disappointed I think it's a cracker of an album. Not a timbaland fan in the slightest but he did nicely on this one, very clean production nothing too abstract or hard to listen to just nice beats.

I was kinda glad Officer Ricky was on that fùckwithme... song because it shows everybody how poorly rick ross can actually rap in contrast to a good rapper like jigga.

Part II (on the run) and Oceans and nickels and dimes would be stand out tracks for me, I expected more from Jay Z Blue but how and ever.

Oh and Justin Timberlake was incredible on the first track.

Overall great album imo, as far as commercial hip hop goes today it doesn't get better than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Liking the Foxy Brown diss;

I never stuck my cock in Fox's box :pac:

I've listened to half the album, pretty good, but the audio quality is poor so I'm going to wait for a better rip to listen to the rest

Heaven is the best track on the album for me.

Overall, it's not a let down, but I was expecting more.
    The things I dislike the most are the Rick Ross track and the Biggie line intertwine thing.
    The Tom Ford song is a peculiar one, the beat starts off as some sort of trap/twerk think, which is brutal...then Timmy unleashes the fury which is totally excellent.

And why is Verses only 54 seconds long....so much potential on that one, is that just all shots at Lil Wayne or something? Or general bravado.

One thing that has stuck with me from something that Blockhead said before the album was released in a facebook post/chat thing, that Jay would just be on autopilot rapping-wise as he has been on his last 4 albums. Now I dont totall agree with what Blockhead said about the last 4 albums, maybe the last 2. But by and large jay has been coasting, and he does continue that on this album, with the exception of 3 or 4 songs.

All of the above is my initial impression and subject to change.

But I'm pretty confident that this is not my album of the year.

horsebox09 wrote: »
    Liking the Foxy Brown diss;

I never stuck my cock in Fox's box :pac:

I've listened to half the album, pretty good, but the audio quality is poor so I'm going to wait for a better rip to listen to the rest

i'm the same, i want to hear decent quality on my good cans at home, not these average headphones I use in work from youtube clips.

Given the fact I listened to the album on a pair of beats the album sounded pretty fùckin nice.

@Boom_Bap, yeah I thought the versus track was a shot at wayne straight away!

I think when they were releasing the lyrics in bits and pieces of the last few weeks that one of the tracks was a Lil' Wayne dis.....such a waste of a beat though if thats the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Agree with pretty much everything BB, I've yet to hear the last three tracks on here, but I have liked most of what I've heard (minus the Rick Ross cameo, and I actually don't mind the Bawse at all).

I really like what Timbo did on Tom Ford, reminds me of EL-P, this is the type of beat that Jay should be RIPPING, but like Boom_Bap says, he just sorta coasts (some nice lines though)

And yeah, Versus and Beach is Better should be full tracks, really liked both of those

I also agree with TheComeUp, of all the tracks to put Nas on, I think BBC is the one least suited to him, it's a nice funky track, but I would have loved to hear Nas and Jay going back-and-forth over Versus

• Advertisement
Advertisement