Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installation of Eircom Fiber and existing UPC connection

• 19-06-2013 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, quick question. Going for Eircom Fiber Power (need high upload speeds) and currently have UPC 30 Mbit/s.
    In a week the Eircom man will come over to install it.
    Does anyone know if he will/is supposed to touch the UPC connection, considering that I have a "simple" UPC connection and not fiber? For the transition time I will need UPC as well.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

They are two completely different technologies on completely separate infrastructure so Eircom should never touch UPC's cables and vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Eircom's phonelines are underground. UPC usually clip them onto fascia boards. You're pretty lucky to have two choices in high speed broadband. UPC might increase their upload speeds, so you might want to get in contact with them over that before you switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tirtytree

Thanks for responses guys.
    UPC with even 150Mbit is 10 MB up, Eircom is 15 and 20 Mbit up on 50 and 70 package. So I'm choosing Eircom.

With the UPC I also have the experience that they "don't mind" to often have no proper or not full speed connectivity over days and weeks during the day and then don't bother to contact me to apologize or offer a discount. I always have to do it myself. So I decided, also for this reason, to switch :) Lets see how Eircom perform :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

as good as UPC might be, there upload speeds just suck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Yeah, but UPC use a different type of copper that can handle more bandwidth. The reason why they only offer 10 mb upload is because there's no competition, but since Eircom stepped up their game, UPC will trying to outdo them again - which they can.

If you switch to Eircom, later on this year, UPC might bump it up to 30mb or even 50mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

OP can always switch back after initial contract is up - at least they now have a choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

What has the world come to, people complaining about 5m/bit upload rates :) lol.

Please people, do move from UPC for FTTC superior upload speeds. Tell them why you are moving also!

If UPC lose customers over it, they will act on increasing their upload rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tirtytree

Will do Praetorian, I have a very specific user case which is not related to using Torrents or anything of that kind.
    But at the same time I cannot really say that UPC was perfect during the time I had a contract with them for 3 years or so.

Will let them know about the reasons of course, not that I will give them another chance just by the promise (yeah in 1 year we will have bla bla bla). :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

Tirtytree wrote: »
    Thanks for responses guys.
    UPC with even 150Mbit is 10 MB up, Eircom is 15 and 20 Mbit up on 50 and 70 package. So I'm choosing Eircom.

With the UPC I also have the experience that they "don't mind" to often have no proper or not full speed connectivity over days and weeks during the day and then don't bother to contact me to apologize or offer a discount. I always have to do it myself. So I decided, also for this reason, to switch :) Lets see how Eircom perform :)

Assuming your not that far from your cabinet you will get those upload speeds. Any further and it will be less than if not the same as UPC's 10 up

Advertisement