Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Bricking after Update 4.45

Options
  • 19-06-2013 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

Reports online saying that this morning's update (4.45) is bricking PS3 with an error. http://kotaku.com/dont-update-your-ps3-today-514213464

Also a lot of reports are saying that this mainly happens to PS3's That have upgraded HDD's.

If you are a PS+ member the update should have automatically downloaded, but not installed. DO NOT INSTALL UNTIL MORE INFORMATION IS RELEASED.

I'll update thread when i know more, hope this doesn't affect any of you!

*UPDATE*
    Sony have pulled the update and is no longer available to download. But if your PS3 auto downloaded it, Don't install it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Sony have pulled the update apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

It only affects hard disks larger than 500GB. I have a 640GB and automatic updates switched on with PS+ so hopefully I don't have to install it next time I switch on the PS3.

One of the features is turn on/off in game notification when you get a trophy.
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/18/ps3-users-report-4-45-update-locks-up-systems-may-be-tied-to-la/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The update only came out in the US before it was pulled, never made it to Europe thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Just in case anyone got caught with it.

For those with bricked systems Tomorrow a patch should come out to fix this. All you need to do is download it to your USB drive and power up the PS3 in safe mode and install update from USB.

How to:
    Step 1: Turn off the PLAYSTATION 3 by holding the Power button on the front of the unit till the Power light is red.
    Step 2: Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, meaning the PLAYSTATION 3 is powering on. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep, indicating the video reset. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a third beep and the system will power off (Power light is red).
    Step 3: Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, again for the PLAYSTATION 3 to power on. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep for video reset. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep. At that point release the Power button. If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on the screen saying, "Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

The update only came out in the US before it was pulled, never made it to Europe thankfully.

I got a prompt for an update last night at 03:00am. Decided to leave it til the next day though as it was time for bed, glad I did! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So i've Plus and now I'm scared to turn them on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Hopefully it wont take too long for 4.46

Varik wrote: »
    So i've Plus and now I'm scared to turn them on.

I've auto update on my self and turned on my PS3 this morning no probs, it has a 1Tb HDD. Mine updates at 23:00 every night though so I probably missed it. Anything I have read said the update never came out for EU PS3s, only US servers issued it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

My PS+ downloaded the update, see attached.
    Don't think I will install it :)
    Thanks for the info OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

I've auto update on my self and turned on my PS3 this morning no probs, it has a 1Tb HDD. Mine updates at 23:00 every night though so I probably missed it. Anything I have read said the update never came out for EU PS3s, only US servers issued it.

It was definitly there for me last night around 03:00am, but wasnt there when I came home from work around 01:30am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Started both of my HDD upgrade PS3 which had already downloaded and installed the update and both are working fine.

Yeah, it looks like my PS3 auto downloaded the update and installed it. No problems thankfully. It's an old 60gig phat model with a 1tb drive in it now. Just hope it keeps hanging in ther because if anything happened to it I'll have to buy a new PS3 and a PS2 from somewhere.

Mine is still on 4.41

Can you update the firmware if you take out the HDD?

Can you update the firmware if you take out the HDD?

No?

They found the problem, a new firmware will be released next Thursday: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-19-playstation-3-update-4-45-bricking-some-consoles

4.46 now out, fixes issues if you got 4.45...http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=605466

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I skipped 4.5 and just updated to 4.6. Hopefully it doesn't crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I've a 1TB drive in mine and updated to 4.46 this morning with no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

what was in 4.45 anyway? cant find nothing about it online

• Advertisement
Advertisement