Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long will a slipping clutch last

• 19-06-2013 9:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭

Been told that my clutch is slipping and i'm wondering how long before it goes completely? I can't afford to get it fixed yet and was already thinking about changing my car August or Sept anyway. What i really want to know is will it just fail as i'm driving down the road or do i have a couple of weeks, months before it goes completely? Been told it will cost 220 to fix and also NCT is end of next month!! Any advice would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Short answer- not very long.

Get it done immediately whilst you can still drive it. If it goes you'll have to get it towed in to be repaired so it'll cost even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Once it starts slipping it is gone. You will end up stuck on an incline with that smell of burnt clutch then you will have the expense of recovery etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

i got nearly 3 months from the time the clutch started slipping,In saying that tho i barely made it to the workshop so get it done asap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

I've got 3 years and counting out of my slipping clutch . Then again it only slips under full throttle acceleration at peak torque. It doesn't slip at all pulling away from a standstill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

about 11 inches...oh no sorry, that's how long a piece of string is.... :-)

(Fix it now...you wont be able to sell it with it slipping anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

It all depends on your driving style. I am currently driving around on a car with a worn clutch for over a year. Clutch will only slip if I give it welly in high gear. Gear changes, i make sure clutch is fully engaged before i accelerate again, not before or as clutch is engaging. I had to adjust my driving style to compensate a bit but it is not getting any worse since.
    Also my fuel economy has had a welcome improvement too as I am accelerating a bit gentlier now. Car will still get up to full motorway speed and overtake without a problem but I won't be burning anyone at the lights.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Rainbow Kitty

Thanks for all the replies guys, i've just never experienced a slipping clutch before and needed to know if it was dangerous to be driving. It will be a week at least before i have the money together to get it sorted so hopefully it will last that long if i take things easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

not really dangerous, but ill leave you stranded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

Try www.mrgearboxmrclutch.ie for a price.Based in Finglas.
    I found them very good with my Nissan Primera.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

Best to get it done asap. If it does go, it will probably go at a junction or in slow moving traffic which will leave you red faced with a lot of pissed off drivers behind...

• Advertisement

Ok so clutch went on me yesterday and yes while i was at traffic lights and yes it was embarassing to say the least. So i got it towed to the garage and got it done and my question now is, before clutch was done i had to bring the clutch nearly to the top before it would take off, now that a new clutch has been put in i barely have to take my foot off the clutch and the car runs away with me. So i need to know is there a breaking in with a clutch, do i need to go easy with it, i'm not used to the clutch being so new and i've cut out a couple of times already!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Ok so clutch went on me yesterday and yes while i was at traffic lights and yes it was embarassing to say the least. So i got it towed to the garage and got it done and my question now is, before clutch was done i had to bring the clutch nearly to the top before it would take off, now that a new clutch has been put in i barely have to take my foot off the clutch and the car runs away with me. So i need to know is there a breaking in with a clutch, do i need to go easy with it, i'm not used to the clutch being so new and i've cut out a couple of times already!!!

It's really just a case of getting used to it, tbh you'll get used to it in no time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Thats just how clutches work, the more worn they are, the higher up the biting point.

So it's just a case of getting used to it, i think it will take me a while. Thanks for replies guys :)

Advertisement