Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ard Rí site for sale at "knockdown price"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,754 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Pity it can't be knocked down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Why cant it be knocked down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

perhaps the inhabitants of the shanty will clup togeather and erect a large kilkenny flag up there, it would save them a lot of work each august and september.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

It would be a fantastic site for a park. Great tourist attraction if done right because of the views over the city, plus tourists love the challenge of walking to a viewpoint.

It could be like this place in Argentina: http://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowUserReviews-g312822-d2554157-r156055362-Cerro_San_Bernardo-Salta_Province_of_Salta_Northern_Argentina.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

michellie wrote: »

No reason at all! In fact it should be returned to parkland. One day when we've money again, they could add a cable-car up to it from the city. It would be a magnificent attraction.

If they planted it with flowering cherries, it would be breathtaking every April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Theyl prob put a car park up there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Ferrybank Shopping Centre Mark II :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

michellie wrote: »

First thought for me was 750 sounds very expensive. Just like the old mills, it would cost a fair bit of money to knock it down, asbestos etc. Thats the only reason preventing it being knocked down i would say, unless someone could blow it up.

Great idea for some sort of park like that one in argentina, cant see it being developed on in any major way for decades, some joined up thinking get the council to buy it would be great, maybe Noonan could but it for the council, we bought a 10m site in Limerick for that council (think its called the opera site, not sure). Anyway, a pedestrian bridge across the river and up to that area would be great. if there were things for families to do (archery, worlds longest slide?, etc) that would be excellent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm amazed Big Phil has not requisitioned the site, or at least the Kilkenny part of the plot, it would be a perfect location for some 500mm guns.

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/76/Gamma-gerät.jpg[/IMG]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

I think the city council should buy it. That way the Kilkenny section can be controlled and further ridiculous hostile Kilkenny county council developments ala the Ferrybank shopping centre can be prevented. If I ever win the Euro Millions I will do it myself :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Would genuinely be a good spot for a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

I might buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Sully wrote: »
    Would genuinely be a good spot for a hotel.

Sully it always was - maybe a bit dated in the latter years but the view was unrivalled, its a pity the last/current owners did not continue to run it as a hotel until their planning came through , maybe then the site and their financials would not have been in such a mess.

Jambo wrote: »
    Sully it always was - maybe a bit dated in the latter years but the view was unrivalled, its a pity the last/current owners did not continue to run it as a hotel until their planning came through , maybe then the site and their financials would not have been in such a mess.

its on the examiner 'princely sum of €750', i reckon they think that price is over inflated also. Id say, if the council could get 450 together, they could take it. aint gonna happen though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Is there anyway that some kind of a group could be set up whereby the people of waterford say donated €10 each or whatever to buy the site and then themselves owned a portion of the site?

O Riain wrote: »
    Is there anyway that some kind of a group could be set up whereby the people of waterford say donated €10 each or whatever to buy the site and then themselves owned a portion of the site?

yeah i would think thats a good idea but consider (imagine 500k bought it):
    500,000 = €10 x 50000 people
    250,000 = 10 x 25000

500,000 = €50 x 10000 people
    or €100 x 5000 people

could we find 5000 people to pay 100, possible, i would at this stage if there was some sort of plan also to knock it. What would we do then if they wanted to build on it, would there be some sort of claim to get the 100€ investment back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Okay so you buy the site and the building thats on it, whos to say you could repair the building thats on it? Its probably structurally unsound? How many million would it take to rebuild it as a hotel? a 3-4 million maybe? Hows the Hotel industry at the moment? not very good at the moment? maybe possible investors have seen it this way?

Im surprised a certain Mr Frisby hasnt bought it yet, I think investors wouldnt use it as a Hotel in the current climate to invest heavily, if it was a running Hotel maybe but to invest millions and then hope it works? nah ill keep my 5 million. I think we should think about something other than a Hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

i worked in the Ardree back in the day - i always reckoned a restaurant and bar on the top floor would be amazing - knock every 3 or 4 hotel rooms together as appartments with the best views in the country for an appartment
    Staff accomodation is below to the left of the hotel - another 30 rooms - for a hostel? we do the leisure centre, public pool. if only!

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

I hate to think what the rates would be on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

DSC08755_zps565d7382.jpg

CopyofDSC08757_zpsdd5768b9.jpg

So the McEniff Ard-Ri hotel has been re-named .

It looks picturesque - blending in quite well with the landscape

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They should paint the whole edifice in "manoeuvres" green/brown with a light blue cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

jaysus "HOW DO" was a busy man

Advertisement