Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allowing your older dog to correct bad behaviour in new puppy

• 19-06-2013 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭

I'd like to hear peoples experiences in this. So far corrections have been limited to turning around to face the puppy and growl/bark. This puts the puppy in a sitting position which is great but as soon as the older dog turns her back he is at it again. I know its going to take some time weeks/months for them to bond but i just want to make sure if and when i should intervene.

Older dog is 4.5 year old female. Puppy is just under 9 weeks old male.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What I'm planning on doing (puppy arriving in 4 weeks) is to allow him to correct her initially but if she's still annoying him I'll step in. We were able to plan ahead with the pup so I'm lucky with work to have been able to take 2 weeks off when she arrives so will be around to help her settle in. My guy is very patient/gentle with pups and smaller dogs so I think I'll be the one correcting her so he'll get a break lol! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Yeah she is okay meeting dogs on walks etc but if there is a boisterous dog hoping all over her she lets out a growl. I assume this is just normal as no one likes to be annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I have recently introduced a new puppy into my gang. I already had a 10year male springer, 12ish year old JRT and a 4 year old JRT.

It has been fascinating watching them all teach the puppy their boundries.

The springer was too soft with him to start with and puppy plagued him constantly. Boe would bark at the pup and then look to me for help. It eventually took him barking right in the pups face for Walter to leave him alone. That took about 6 weeks.

My eldest Jack made it very clear from the day the pup arrived in the house she was not tolerating anything from him! As soon as he went near her she snarled and air snapped. He learnt that lesson in a matter of hours.

My youngest girl was the one I was most concerned about as she is very fiesty but she lets the pup away with blue murder. He drags out of her and pulls her around but when she's had enough she tells him and he backs off. She doesn't do it in an aggressive manner it is just a case of "ENOUGH thank you very much".

I was very lucky with my puppy though as he had a fabulous foster family before we got him with a pack of very stable puppy savvy dogs who taught him brilliant puppy manners.

I let my dogs handle the situation totally. They all recognised that he was a puppy and vulnerable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I think you can let the older dogs take care of the disciplining of the puppy, as long as you are there to supervise. They will soon show the puppy how much they are prepared to tolerate (or not!) As long as none of your older dogs is too aggressive or jealous, the puppy will learn to back off when corrected.

My elderly JRT was really fine with the new JRT puppy - both dogs - he gave the odd growl and air-snap. The puppy who is NOT alpha-male material :rolleyes: quickly learned that old dog was boss and life settled down v.quickly. The old Collie would have nothing to do with the puppy initially (but he's VERY timid/nervous anyway) - for many many weeks. He just growled at the puppy and moved away (the collie is an outside dog - would NEVER come in to the house, poor guy) the puppy soon learned the collie was 'no fun'. They are fine together now.

I would just say not to let the older dogs feel jealous/neglected by all the fuss over the gorgeous new puppy!

Post a photo!

Here is a couple of Nelson and then one with both. Unfortunately I have to wait another 3 weeks or so before I can bring them on short walks together.

995046_497355157003876_1654757688_n_zps0b39b5c8.jpg

6936_498864386852953_1421251691_n_zps070aba0f.jpg

1017335_498436500229075_505032596_n_zpsa4f9486d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

didnt realize that your two are Ridgebacks - the puppy is gorgeous, the bitch is lovely too! A bit early to tell at 9 weeks what his personality is like I guess? A friend of mine has a female ridgeback - very anxious/stressy/hyper dog. Shes moving to a new house with lots of land and as soon as she has enclosed an safe area, shes hoping to rescue a dog. It will be interesting in her case to see how the Ridgeback bitch takes to a young dog - shes very anti-other-dog - let us know how your two go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What are you going to do about walks OP - will you take them both on short walks and/or a separate longer walk with the older dog? Beautiful dogs btw :)

Short walks together once vaccinated fully and longer walks for the older girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Beautiful dogs, OP!

When I got my puppy I allowed my older dog to correct him as she's very gentle and patient. A snap and a growl put him in his place and he soon learnt not to bug her. It worked out well for both of them because she's deaf, so he learnt not to startle her by jumping at her from behind, and she learnt to deal with another dog suddenly appearing in her space without freaking out. I think as long as your dog is fairly tolerant of the pup they should be fine.

Henry used to get very upset though when Jess agave out to him. He'd come over to me crying (literally, making a crying sound!) and bury his head under my arm or between my knees. He was like a toddler who'd been told off buy his big sister. :D

Advertisement