Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I sell my phone?

Options
  • 19-06-2013 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

I'm moving to the states for a year in August and I'll be needing all the money I can get for food etc., so I've been considering selling my phone.

The pros:
    I won't be able to use it as a phone over there anyway.
    It's not a bad phone, so I'd get a few hundred for it.

The cons:
    I was planning on using it for wifi access over there whenever I don't have my laptop to hand.

So what do people think? Should I keep it for wifi or sell it for food money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smiley_face400

What type of phone do you have? You may be able to get it unlocked or "jail broken" and then you can just get a US sim card. Surely it would be cheaper to do that than having to buy a new phone over there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

iPhone 5. You think that'd be the way to go? How would I go about doing that?

If your network won't unlock it then there's probably a phone store in your area that does. I always go to GSM Connection on Talbot street or there's another good place on Parnell if you're around Dublin. If not, I'm sure you'll find somewhere local that'll do it for about €10 - €20

If it's a bill pay phone it might already be unlocked, some are. Just try a SIM card from a different network in it and see if it works

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fbjm wrote: »
    How would I go about doing that?
    Who are you with (o2, Three, Vodafone, etc), how long are you with them, and when is your contract with them over? If the initial contract is over, they will usually provide you with the unlock code.

I'm with O2 on prepay.

• Advertisement

On O2 prepay your phone must be registered on O2.ie and you must have topped up by €150 since you registered your phone. There is an option on the request page to select a reason you want the code as I think they'll make an exception if you're going abroad (they did for me but they took their time about it). If you haven't met the top up requirements and they won't make an exception then just bring it to one of those stores I mentioned and they'll do it in about 20 minutes. I know there are some that may say you shouldn't do this but it's not illegal or wrong as you've paid for the phone and it's your property to do with as you wish

Thanks very much. So just to wrap up, you're saying it's better that I keep the phone rather than sell it?

Fbjm wrote: »
    Thanks very much. So just to wrap up, you're saying it's better that I keep the phone rather than sell it?

Yep, iPhone 5's work in the US, all you need is a US SIM card once you get there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Are all iPhone 5's the same or are there different versions. All the GSM networks in the US (Tmobile and AT&T) use different frequencies for voice and data than at home. They both offer the iPhone 5 but you should make sure it's the same hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Yep, iPhone 5's work in the US, all you need is a US SIM card once you get there :D

European iPhones only work on AT&T. Can't use data on pay as you go on AT&T either. And AT&T customer service are DIRE!

Sell your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

I have an iPhone 4 from 3 Ireland, which I got unlocked about a year ago. I brought it with me to the US and it's working fine on T-Mobile. I'm with them on a prepay plan.

biddywiddy wrote: »
    I have an iPhone 4 from 3 Ireland, which I got unlocked about a year ago. I brought it with me to the US and it's working fine on T-Mobile. I'm with them on a prepay plan.

Interesting. Must call T-mobile, I think they use AT&Ts network. Can you use data?

Is it possible 3 have US iPhones??

I was told that contractually AT&T cannot allow iPhones to use data on pre-pay.

The plan I have (available in Walmart only) is $30 per month for 100 minutes and unlimited texts and data. You don't sign a contract, just top up your account each month. One thing to note is that when you get your new number (easiest to do this online after buying the SIM pack in Walmart), once you accept T-Mobile's settings for your phone, the 'Personal Hotspot' for tethering disappears.

I had no idea that Irish and US iPhones were different.

The plan I have (available in Walmart only) is $30 per month for 100 minutes and unlimited texts and data. You don't sign a contract, just top up your account each month. One thing to note is that when you get your new number (easiest to do this online after buying the SIM pack in Walmart), once you accept T-Mobile's settings for your phone, the 'Personal Hotspot' for tethering disappears.

I had no idea that Irish and US iPhones were different.

I'm reading that you cannot get 3G speeds on T-mobile, only EDGE. Anyone confirm?

I'm currently on 3G, but it does often drop to edge during the day.

I'm currently on 3G, but it does often drop to edge during the day.

IPhone 4 (euro version)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

T-Mobile don't use AT&Ts network. They're totally separate networks.

The are also some local, smaller GSM /3G carriers and MVNOs so don't feel that your choices end after the big national networks. A bit of googling should give you some additional options!

You can't use Verizon, Sprint or any other CDMA-One based network as they are using different technology to GSM/UMTS and your handset can't be registered with them.

MadsL wrote: »
    IPhone 4 (euro version)?

Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Full list of US Wireless providers - Look at GSM/UMTS and ignore CDMA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_wireless_communications_service_providers

There are actually loads of smaller ones around that are sometimes just affiliated to one of the national brands for 'national roaming' but primarily operate in one local area themselves. They can often work out quite cheap.

Also try this article : http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375644,00.asp

Or, try operators like H2O wireless : https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/ - runs on AT&T's network infrastructure.

Their plans actually give you very cheap calls back to Europe too via a kinda pre-paid calling card setup. It's a bit combersome compared to Tesco mobile or whatever, but it's very cheap..

Ireland 3.5 ¢
    Ireland cellular 37.4 ¢

https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/pageControl.php?page=intCalling

Seems to cover +353 and +44 so you'll get all of Ireland, Britain and most of Europe for pretty cheap.

Just bear in mind that Irish MVNOs in particular are extremely price-competitive compared to services in the US and elsewhere. We don't have it too bad when it comes to mobile price competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I'm reading that you cannot get 3G speeds on T-mobile, only EDGE. Anyone confirm?

Not true. They have 4G. I have 2 phones with them.

• Advertisement

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Not true. They have 4G. I have 2 phones with them.

European iPhones?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 duck_77

They have the majority of their coverage on Band 4 (AWS) but are quickly building UMTS 1900 which is compatible with most newer European phones including iPhones.

outlier areas will be EDGE or Roaming.

Plus the LTE network is being built quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

European iPhones?

Nope. Galaxy S3 and HTC One S.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭PhotogTom

Hi,
    My wife and I are moving to America in a few months.

She has an iPhone 5 and I have an HTC One X. Both are on contracts with Vodafone. I called and my "buyout" is around €175. Wife's would be a bit more.

Should we 1) buy out the contract and take the phones to the US with us? If so, what are our options for networks, etc. (Neither of us are heavy phone or data users).

or 2) Sell the phones in Ireland, transfer ownership and get new phones in US? What's the best way sell the phone - Done Deal or is there something else?

Thanks.

PhotogTom wrote: »
    Hi,
    My wife and I are moving to America in a few months.

She has an iPhone 5 and I have an HTC One X. Both are on contracts with Vodafone. I called and my "buyout" is around €175. Wife's would be a bit more.

Should we 1) buy out the contract and take the phones to the US with us? If so, what are our options for networks, etc. (Neither of us are heavy phone or data users).

or 2) Sell the phones in Ireland, transfer ownership and get new phones in US? What's the best way sell the phone - Done Deal or is there something else?

Thanks.

Total cost of ownership of iphone in the US

iPhone-5-Cheapest-Plan.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I get 3G speeds on T-mobile with my (unlocked) Irish Vodafone branded HTC one.

Tested it at the end of May in California.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

To everyone else,

be it iphone/android whatever.

Get your phone unlocked in Ireland either by asking your provider and paying their fee. Or, if you feel their fee is excessive, get your local phone shop to unlock the phone.

Once in the US, you can use either a T-Mobile or an AT&T sim card across the country (there are smaller local networks too), without much hassle. (you may have to set APNs manually, google is your friend here)

Some phones will be limited to EDGE speeds (htc desire was for me) but even then it was never really an issue for me for general browsing or sat nav.

I use the T-mobile pay as you go plan, I stick $100 on the phone and the number is min for 2 years.
    When I'm in the US i switch it to a $3 a day plan that gives me 4G speeds. When I come home I switch it back to the pay as you go plan which lets me keep the number for no daily fee (there's a minimum top up of something like $30)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I have a Galaxy S3 (on Three here) and as I travel to the US regularly on business I have a PAYG T-Mobile sim-card.

I'm set up on a $2 a day package which gives me unlimited US calls to landlines and mobiles , unlimited global texts and 2GB of data per day (data limit resets daily) so I can ring home using Viber/Tango etc.

If I don't use the phone on a given day (or for several weeks at a time in my case when I'm back home) I don't get charged.. Only charged the $2 for the days I use it...

I get full speed 3G , usually better than here (typically 7-8Mb range) but it varies place to place...

I previously used an AT&T sim for the same purpose but they got rid of the package I was using , so I know for sure that both work fine with Irish phones...I know of a number of colleagues with iPhone 4/4s that do the same as me so they work too... Can't confirm on the iPhone 5 though...

From what I can see , phones tend to be more expensive up front in the US , but they have better deals once you have the phone..

If you are able to unlock your phone I'd say that generally speaking you are better off bringing your phone with you..

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭GradGirl27

I had the same dilema, I only got my iphone 4s feb 2012 and got my year visa in November and was going to sell mine too but didnt want to for the same pro's you gave, using it at wifi spots etc. I am still over here now and still have to pay my stupid meteor bill for 65 quid each month for a phone I havent used for messaging of phone calls since I left! I also will advise you though if you dont sell it and are going to use it over here then ring o2, meteor or whoever your provider is and make sure they turn off your 3g!!

I went to spain one year on a holiday and refreshed my twitter feed once and it cost me 12 quid!!! You don't wanna be hit by these kinds of things in america where roaming prices are CRAZY HIGH!!!

I honestly wish I a- hadnt bought into a 2 year phone contract at all when I knew I was graduating and going to come straight to the states with this visa and b- just bought a better phone while I was over here. But its just a matter of learning these things as you go along.

Over here there are so many more phone providers and smartphones that are cheap and you get 3g on them so you dont just need wifi from mcdonalds etc to use it, I bought a ten dollar phone and pay 30 a month for 1500 minutes.... I had the 20 a month deal for 400 minutes but then I thought (stupidly in hindsight) that it would be like the providers back home where you get to spend that actual 20 on texts but no they take the 20 just for the minutes!!! its ridiculous so i had to up it to the 30 a month and i mean the phone is a basic 1990's looking flip thing i just got because I need it for work and had to get an american number in general anyways for my resume etc.

If you arent on a contract then sell the phone! You can get an iphone 5 here for cheap in best buy etc with good contracts and do it asap when you get here so you get the best deal for your year stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 NYC2013

Sorry to hijack this thread but anyone else having trouble sending text messages to Vodafone phones in Ireland with T-Mobile? I'm using my unlocked iphone 4 that I brought over from Ireland, can receive texts but can't send them. I called their customer support but was no help

Advertisement