Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Evidence for Steam game sharing

• 19-06-2013 12:11pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

A NeoGAF user looking through the code of Steam's latest beta update found evidence of Steam possibly in the future of having the ability to share games.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/19/steam-game-sharing-code-found-in-clients-beta-update/

Possibly a reaction by Valve to the fuss over in console land about Xbox One's DRM.

Be a nice feature to have. But I'm sure it would have to be quiet restricted if it does happen to avoid abuse.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I've a bunch of duplicate copies of games I've bought in bundles and steam sales i'd like to share. Most recently COH2 gave me ungiftable copies of COH and it's 2 expansions which i already have on steam. Shame to see stuff like that go to waste.

I'm curious what the conditions would be, would sharing mean giving a game indefinitely or for a limited time, would it be the full version or would it be capped at X hours playtime etc.

Either way, it seems like steam are staying on the ball with even thinking about this kind of thing. Fair dues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

This has been looked at on and off over the last number of years seemingly. The biggest hurdle likely comes from game publishers themselves, who for obvious reasons are not very fond of the concept at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

probably valve specific games then, if it ever takes off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

This has been looked at on and off over the last number of years seemingly. The biggest hurdle likely comes from game publishers themselves, who for obvious reasons are not very fond of the concept at all.

Yeah I'd say we could see sharing for valve games and a select few publishers, would be interesting to see how they would implement it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

If you could share a game and allow it to be played for x number of hours, it would be great. There are a lot of games that I'm not sure about and not willing to spend money to 'try out'. With such a feature, people could share a game with me so I could try it out and possibly end up buying it.

Yes...it's practically like Demo's, but without a lot of the restrictions that usually come with demo's, and be based on recommendations from friends. Throw in some rewards to players who share and they'd be on to a real winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Yes...it's practically like Demo's, but without a lot of the restrictions that usually come with demo's, and be based on recommendations from friends. Throw in some rewards to players who share and they'd be on to a real winner.

Plus demos are often pre-release and the game changes between the demo and sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I'd see it as a way to give a second contoler to a mate like you would on consoles. Bring back the 2 player game for pc! :)

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Where 2 players games every really on PC in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Azza wrote: »
    Where 2 players games every really on PC in the first place?

I remember a co-op mod for Half-life being fairly popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Half Life: Decay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Half Life: Decay?

Sven Co-op?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

There not retail release PC games.

Sven's Co-op is a mod while Half Life Decay never saw an official PC release but was released unofficially by some modders on PC for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Theres a good few 2/3/4 player pc games out there. I've been playing with ps3 controllers. Here's just a few:

Trine, Trine2, Castle Crashers, Serious Sam 3, Awesomenauts, Mari0, Lara Croft and the guardian of light, PID

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Lego LoTR is another. Great co-op game!

Advertisement