Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restore Factory Settings

Options
  • 19-06-2013 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm selling me old HP Pavilion laptop and I want to wipe the hard drive before it sold and restore the original factory settings.

Anyone know how this can be done?

I do not have a Windows 7 disk.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

Snegg wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm selling me old HP Pavilion laptop and I want to wipe the hard drive before it sold and restore the original factory settings.

Anyone know how this can be done?

I do not have a Windows 7 disk.

Thanks!
    format the drive..back up what you want first though..
    start>right click computer>manage>disk management>right click drive and format should be there ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

That only wipes the drive though, it doesn't reinstall Win7 on it. You will either need to find out of there is a restore partition on the drive or try and get hold of the correct Win 7 disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

Soundman wrote: »
    That only wipes the drive though, it doesn't reinstall Win7 on it. You will either need to find out of there is a restore partition on the drive or try and get hold of the correct Win 7 disk.
    true, i thought he just wanted rid of everything..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

you should be able to download a legal copy of windows from digital river, i have done this in the past and used my activation code on the sticker on the laptop to verify that it is a legal copy, on some occasions i've had to ring the number it gives you if automatic activation fails and go through an activation proceedure without any issues. when i was doing it i was re-installing windows on an ssd so the licence wasn't affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,883 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the laptop should still have the original factory image if its the original hard drive and is still in good working condition.

I believe for an HP laptop go to start and open up "Recovery". Its one of the main options. You can also load it from the BIOS using an F-key command

• Advertisement
Advertisement