Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Accommodation in exchange for Work

Options
  • 19-06-2013 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, maybe I’m being way to optimistic but has anyone heard is it possible to get free accommodation in exchange for work/maintenance/security or even keeping an eye out for a elderly person in the Dublin area. I have plenty of experience of home repairs and as my job involves working with Youths. I am fully Garda vetted and references would not be a issue. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lOWCOUNTRY

Moyside wrote: »
    Hi, maybe I’m being way to optimistic but has anyone heard is it possible to get free accommodation in exchange for work/maintenance/security or even keeping an eye out for a elderly person in the Dublin area. I have plenty of experience of home repairs and as my job involves working with Youths. I am fully Garda vetted and references would not be a issue. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.
    Cheers

I know of some students who get free accommodation for carrying out housekeeping duties for the houseowner. It is usually an elderly bachelor or widow who is involved. The student lives in for free, pays no utility bills and does a fixed number of hours cooking, cleaning and shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

Moyside wrote: »
    Cheers

I have heard of some instances where developers have given free accommodation to some people in exchange for maintaining a presence in some unsold buildings. The old Loreto Convent in Rathfarnham Dublin is one case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Maybe put an ad in a local paper or approach a local priest. These might be better avenues for reaching elderly people.
    Other than that a notice in the supermarket might do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Citycap wrote: »
    I have heard of some instances where developers have given free accommodation to some people in exchange for maintaining a presence in some unsold buildings. The old Loreto Convent in Rathfarnham Dublin is one case.

I don't think its quite free but it is a good suggestion all the same.

this is the company who looks after what City Cap describes and i am almost 100% sure Camelot organised the loreto convent set up

http://ie.cameloteurope.com/

otherwise I would have a look on www.activelink.ie there is a listing for jobs there but frequently you will see people looking for live in help. it is likely that this could include some healthcare element but not in all cases. sometimes it is someone looking for assistance around the house (not maintenance, more like housework and personal assistant stuff). worth keeping an eye on anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

I don't think its quite free but it is a good suggestion all the same.

this is the company who looks after what City Cap describes and i am almost 100% sure Camelot organised the loreto convent set up

http://ie.cameloteurope.com/

otherwise I would have a look on www.activelink.ie there is a listing for jobs there but frequently you will see people looking for live in help. it is likely that this could include some healthcare element but not in all cases. sometimes it is someone looking for assistance around the house (not maintenance, more like housework and personal assistant stuff). worth keeping an eye on anyway.

Sorry. Understood it was free but certainly low cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Moyside

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciate everyone taking the time to reply. Valuable information.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Im assuming there is a taxable interest in this kind of thing anyway as its Benefit in Kind so make sure you are retuning this on your yearly tax returns.

Advertisement