Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about citizenship

• 19-06-2013 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I'd class a citizen a citizen of a country as soon as a birth cert is got for them as a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Plenty of citizens never obtain a passport; nothing in law curtailing the rights of a non passport holder. Presume birth was pre referendum to limit rights of those outside RoI and those in RoI to non national parents.

S7 of Irish Nationality & Citizenship Act 1956 may be of application but I think this is narrow and only those brn in NI whose parents were not Irish citizens (eg having already alienated themselves for political reasons) are not automatically Irish citizens. As ever, act is not updated online for 2004 amendments but those will be irrelevant if person is old enough!

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1956/en/act/pub/0026/print.html#sec7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Q. I was born and am living in Northern Ireland. I hold a UK passport. Am I an Irish citizen?

A. If you were born in Ireland prior to 1 January 2005 then you are entitled to be an Irish citizen. If you were born on or after 1 January 2005 and one of your parents was an Irish or British citizen, or if either of your parents was entitled to reside in the State or Northern Ireland without any restrictions on his or her residence, then you have an entitlement to Irish citizenship.

If this does not apply to your parents, you may still have an entitlement to Irish citizenship if either of your parents, immediately preceding your birth, had reckonable residence in the island of Ireland of three years in the four years immediately prior to your birth and neither parent was entitled to diplomatic immunity in the State.

You don’t have to obtain an Irish passport in order to be an Irish citizen (though having an Irish passport is of course a convenient way of showing that you are an Irish citizen). As far as Irish law is concerned, there is no difficulty about holding Irish citizenship and at the same time citizenship of another State such as the United Kingdom.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Frequently%20asked%20Questions%20about%20Irish%20Citizenship%20and%20Naturalisation#Q2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

From an Irish law perspective, I think they would have to follow the declaration of alienage route unless that was changed post Good Friday Agreement. Of course the person might not recognise the authority of a foreign power to deem him a citizen and might not acknowledge the need for such a thing. (And I don't mean this in a freeman type of argument.)

Advertisement