Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for good decent TV for Xboxone.

• 19-06-2013 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Well im set on getting a xboxone but figure I might as well take advantage of the TV functions of the Xboxone.
    Now as I understand it , ( Correct me if i'm wrong folks) but I should be able to control my channels by useing the xbox itself and so only one remote is needed ? As In a controller or better yet Kinect voice commands?
    I see that on the xbox it has a HDMI in and a HDMI out. But I dont think ive ever seen tvs with this port setup unless they are yet to come ?

Anyone know of any good TVs that have this HDMI port setup ? or doesnt it only matter if you use Sky/UPC tv viewing?
    I dont use Sky/UPC my self but use the freeview service for what its worth.
    I think people who are getting the Xboxone might want to consider if their TV's have those ports in/out before getting it or if they are bothered about.
    Just wondering what are good models for the new machine.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,873 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Live TV won't work in Ireland at launch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

All modern TVs have a HDMI in port. You don't need to change anything with your TV to utilise the live TV features of the Xbox 1, as it has nothing to do with the process, apart from displaying the image.
    What you need is whatever box you are using to get your live TV from e.g. Sky box, to support receiving commands over HDMI. Currently, nothing in Ireland does that I'm aware of.
    If you are getting freeview (saorview?) just through an aerial, then you will not be able to use this service at any stage.
    Also, to utilise the voice commands, as well as having the TV box (that plugs into the HDMI in port on the Xbox 1), your Xbox 1 will have to know what stations are what. This is not likely to work in Ireland at launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

In theory, yes. It should eventually be possible to have your Xbox control your TV. But, and there are several big buts:

1. This will only be available in the US at launch (and probably for a long time)
    2. They seem to be working with Pay TV providers at first in the US, so Freeview take some time (Saorview even longer).
    3. The TV Box that you are using must use HDMI-CEC (So that rules out most Sky Boxes for now, although there will be a far less efficient IR-Blaster functionality that may or may not work well (i.e. it tries to fool your Box to think that someone has pressed a button on the remote).
    4. This will probably only be most useful for Viewing live TV, so using the Xbox to control the DVR functionality of your box may also be a no-no.

Of course, we stand to be corrected on this, and I am sure by the time we eventually get this functionality in Ireland they will have sorted the majority of the kinks out of the system. Probably. Possibly ... Maybe ... ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheBuck

Dang , So i guess that rules out being able to record live TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

TheBuck wrote: »
    Dang , So i guess that rules out being able to record live TV?

Potentially it could work, provided your TV box (not the xbox) supports it. Of course you probably wouldn't be able to watch it then, as you've no physical remote, and you can be sure there'll be no voice command for it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So am i right in thinking this will be like SmartGlass 2.0 where you can use your phone and tablet to control your xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheBuck

Gatling wrote: »
    So am i right in thinking this will be like SmartGlass 2.0 where you can use your phone and tablet to control your xbox

That would suck badly for those of us on iPhones, unless there is a Smartglass app for the iPhone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

That would suck badly for those of us on iPhones, unless there is a Smartglass app for the iPhone?

Smart glass for iPhone
    https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/xbox-smartglass/id480914036?mt=8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

There is one on the App Store .

Advertisement