Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plaque Off or similiar?

• 19-06-2013 2:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

The two yorkies have terrible teeth and have just gotten them cleaned, Ozzie for the second time. They wont tolerate me brushing their teeth and I would prefer a less stressful way to keep them clean now.

Is Plaque Off actually any good or if not can you recommend an alternative? I have tried them on raw but they have such tiny mouths it takes ages for them to eat a chicken wing and I am worried about them choking because they wolf it down.

TIA :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Funny you should ask that, I bought it for my cats and they wouldn't go near it. I found it in the back of a cupboard this morning and binned it. So for us it was a waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Thanks for that! Any idea how much it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Thanks for that! Any idea how much it is?
    I can't remember, I bought if from Zooplus and they had 2 different sizes. It was over a year ago when I bought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I tried it a few years ago on my dog and it caused loose stools so I stopped using it.

I got this from ZP but haven't tried it fully yet:
    http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_health/dog_dental_care/dog_toohbrushes_pastes/132787

Another option but mixed reviews:
    http://www.christiesdirect.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=918

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

Really interested in how you get on with the zooplus one paultf as I am thinking of trying it on my guy. Have you used any of the toothpastes are they any good?

• Advertisement

acermaple wrote: »
    Really interested in how you get on with the zooplus one paultf as I am thinking of trying it on my guy. Have you used any of the toothpastes are they any good?

TBH I haven't fully tested either the Fortan liquid or the toothpaste from ZooPlus. I had planned to clean my dogs teeth a couple of times a week but I 'forget' to do it.

But I can say the times I have used both the dogs didn't reject them i.e. they licked the tootpaste off my finger. Also the Fortan liquid gets alot of good reviews on zooplus.de

I also got toothbrushes from ZP. The longer ones have a big head at one end and smaller at the other - these seem good. I don't think the finger toothbrushes are any good though.

I also have tooth descalers for scraping tartar off. Maybe the Fortan liquid could help loosen the tartar first?

Similar to:
    http://www.christiesdirect.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=562

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Do they like dentastix? Now I am not a pedigree fan in general but I give mine one every morning. I had my six year old at the vet earlier this week and when he checked her teeth he said they were in great order. She has never had them cleaned! I was surprised, I had doubted their effectiveness before this but I gave them to her as she loves them.

I heard they were terrible for teeth, full of sugar? Could be way off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I heard they were terrible for teeth, full of sugar? Could be way off.

I was surprised myself - maybe they are but I don't clean her teeth and the vet said they were grand. I started giving them when she was a pup and she loves them so never had the heart to stop. My male gets them too. Maybe some of the others can correct me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

A friend of mine swears by Plaque off, I keep meaning to buy some myself for my gang

• Advertisement

I tried dentastix with one of my dogs years ago. They loved them but again loose stools. I always thought the ingredients weren't great?

Sea jerky treats are supposed to help too - fish skins compacted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I use the plaque off with little dog, works well, breathe is fresher and I do notice teeth visible cleaner, haven't used it in a while must start again, I use it for a month usually, sprinkle over food, mine never refused it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Bid08

I had this problem a while back with my labs, I tried raw bones once or twice a week and then rawhide sticks aswell, it has really reduced the plaque on their teeth (we didnt get them cleaned I wanted to give this way a go) but it will prob help keep the plaque at bay

Holy god its €16.99 for 60g in Petworlld :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

I don't know if there's cheaper but I got 60g on Amazon for under €12 a few weeks back. Actually, it's cheaper now and should be eligible for the free delivery.

When I got it, Ollie was on dry food which was hard enough to get him to eat but he wouldn't touch it with the PlaqueOff on it. But he just changed to gRÁW last weekend and I've been mixing it in with that since Monday no bother and between the two new things, his breath is already miles better and the OH reckons his teeth look better too (I find that hard to believe myself!). Before this, he's already had to go under general anaesthetic twice to get his teeth cleaned and he's only about 3 years old. So I'm hoping with this and the new diet and a few raw meaty bones during the week, we can avoid having to go down that route again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I have all three for my dog! The descaler, the Tropiclean kit, and I use the Bearphar toothpaste. My dog has very good teeth, but is prone to tartar on his back molars. Funny, I scraped them only this week...

Anyway - I find all to be excellent. The Bearphar I use every other day. Dog doesn't mind it and its very good for keeping the teeth clean. The Tropiclean I use when his baby choppers in the front could do with a tartar shift. But I can't squirt it in as per instructions as the dog goes loopy! So I put a bit on his toothbrush and do it that way. I scrape when necessary, as my boy doesn't like the noise of the scraper and it'll be a two man job to do it.

Advertisement