If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceiling Speaker for Shallow Cavity

Options
  • 19-06-2013 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Do you stock (or can you get) the KEF Ci160TR ? or a cheaper alternative ceiling speaker that would fit in a very shallow ceiling cavity ( ~ 45mm )

Thanks for your help.

page_ci160tr_1.jpg

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

v10 wrote: »
    Hi,

Do you stock (or can you get) the KEF Ci160TR ? or a cheaper alternative ceiling speaker that would fit in a very shallow ceiling cavity ( ~ 45mm )

Thanks for your help.
    Hi V10.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I'll have a check with our purchasing department and get back ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

any update on this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi there. Sorry for the delay......had to kick the purchasing guys.

We can get these speakers and they would be £245 per speaker.

They have stock, although limited and they would take approx 4-5 days to get.

Hope this helps but let us know what you think.

ATB

Dave

Hi there. Sorry for the delay......had to kick the purchasing guys.

We can get these speakers and they would be £245 per speaker.

They have stock, although limited and they would take approx 4-5 days to get.

Hope this helps but let us know what you think.

ATB

Dave
    Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. They are quite expensive ! Do you know if you have a cheaper alternative ceiling speaker that would fit in a shallow ceiling cavity ? I originally said 45mm, but I may have almost 60mm .

Thanks.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. They are quite expensive ! Do you know if you have a cheaper alternative ceiling speaker that would fit in a shallow ceiling cavity ? I originally said 45mm, but I may have almost 60mm .

Thanks.
    V10,

we don't have anything at that depth that will produce any decent quality of sound - 80mm is where you start to get decent quality (at a reasonable price..) Apologies we cant be more helpful ( but of course we can get you the Kef's if you need them..

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for your help. I'm going to have another look and see if I can increase the depth somehow.

I will be back to you when it's purchasing time !

Ok thanks for your help. I'm going to have another look and see if I can increase the depth somehow.

No problem and when you are ready with (hopefully) your max depth give us a shout and I'll try to work you out a personalised special Boardie price for all the hassle you have had to go through!

Thanks again,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭liamolaighin

No problem and when you are ready with (hopefully) your max depth give us a shout and I'll try to work you out a personalised special Boardie price for all the hassle you have had to go through!

Thanks again,

John Mc & Crew

John I need to get speakers too for a new build. Cavity is much deeper at 150mm. Issue I have as well is knowing what's a decent speaker for a reasonable price. I need 2 for kitchen/dining, 2 for sitting room, 2 for sunroom, 1 for bathroom and 1 for master ensuite. Planning to use apple airplay system down the line or may e Sonos. Not sure yet. Want reasonable sound without paying a fortune. Do some have a built in amp so I wouldn't need to add an amplifier to shopping list via the apple route. Open to suggestions

John I need to get speakers too for a new build. Cavity is much deeper at 150mm. Issue I have as well is knowing what's a decent speaker for a reasonable price. I need 2 for kitchen/dining, 2 for sitting room, 2 for sunroom, 1 for bathroom and 1 for master ensuite. Planning to use apple airplay system down the line or may e Sonos. Not sure yet. Want reasonable sound without paying a fortune. Do some have a built in amp so I wouldn't need to add an amplifier to shopping list via the apple route. Open to suggestions
    Liam,

thanks for the post and apologies for the delay getting back to you.

The best value in ceilings we do when related to sound quality are probably the Monitor Audio CT165 trimless - these are a brilliant new speaker which have a really slim ceiling profile and typically for Monitor Audio they sound great!

The are just 118mm deep - including the new removable magnetic grille - have a look at the spec here: http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/ci-series/trimless-100/ct165/#/overview

There are 2 versions (which sounds ideal for you) as there are both Mono and Stereo versions (no need to miss half the info when you are in the bathroom!)...

in Mono version we would do it at £79.95 each on a Boardie special and £94 for the stereo 'T2' version ( http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/ci-series/trimless-100/ct165-t2/ )

There are speakers available with built in amplifiers - however invariably they are really difficult to control and also generally pretty expensive - systemline do a pair for north of £500 but again you have the complications of additional install and power requirements - I would ALWAYS go for the flexibility of installing standard passive speakers and use Sonos or an independent amp to allow for any future developments..

We always keep the 165's and 165T2's in stock - keep us posted if you would like to grab a few or of course if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks again,

John Mc & Crew
    Hi again John,

Ok I'm ready to buy. I will need 4 x ceiling speakers (something of decent quality at a reasonable price as you say)

Also, I'll need 2 Sonos Connect and 1 Sonos Connect Amp.

Can you let me know you best price for these please.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi V10, cheers for the update.

Do you need the shallow speakers or something a little more sensibly priced ?

Thanks

Dave

Hi V10, cheers for the update.

Do you need the shallow speakers or something a little more sensibly priced ?

Thanks

Dave
    I should get away with somewhere between 80mm to 100mm

I'll drop you a PM in the next 10 mins.

For info for other users - these would be the best speakers that would fit into this gap...just.

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/ci-series/cwt/cwt-160/#/overview

ATB

For info for other users - these would be the best speakers that would fit into this gap...just.

ATB
    I got all my stuff delivered last week from Richersounds. :)

Thanks Dave for all your help and for the good prices. Look forward to doing business again.

ATB

Thanks Dave for all your help and for the good prices. Look forward to doing business again.
    Hi V10,

Glad everything arrived ok :)

If you need any assistance just let us know.

Chris

ATB

Cheers for the update and we really appreciate the business. Let us know what you think of the Apart speakers as I'm always curious to find out what customers think, especially when you were originally look at more expensive speakers.

Many thanks

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 3 snice21

Folks, I need to get ceiling speakers for 3 rooms (3 x 2 speakers). I have a mounting depth available of 2.5 inches. Can you recommend a suitable speaker and quote a price? I also need to get 2 x sonos connect amp. thanks

snice21 wrote: »
    Folks, I need to get ceiling speakers for 3 rooms (3 x 2 speakers). I have a mounting depth available of 2.5 inches. Can you recommend a suitable speaker and quote a price? I also need to get 2 x sonos connect amp. thanks
    Hi Snice21.

I've had a check at what we have available to us on hand and the shortest seems to be around 3.5" - 4"
    Which is the Cambridge Audio C165 priced at £99.95 / 142.99 Euro
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/installation-speakers/cambridge-audio/c165/camb-c165-wht

In fact there is the also the Q Acoustics QI65S priced at £179.95 / 257.99 Euro per pair and coming in at 79mm - 3.3"
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/installation-speakers/q-acoustics/qi65s/qaco-ainstall-qi65s

I can double check again on Monday once a few of our suppliers are back in work to see if there maybe anything out there that we could get our hands on.

The Sonos connect amp is currently priced at 498.99 Euro (Inc Delivery)
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-100980-connect-amp.aspx?swapstore=1

There is also the Denon version the Heos Amp priced at the same price of 498.99 Euro (Inc Delivery)
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12835-denon-heos-amp.aspx

Any questions please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 snice21

Thanks Kenny. For the Q acoustics QI65S, I'm just wondering if I'm understanding the specifications correctly. Am I right in saying that I will require a circular cutout in my ceiling of 8 inches diameter and the square grille would sit on top? The reason I ask is because I already have 8 inch (diameter) circular cut outs for other speakers that were too deep and wouldn't fit. If I'm understanding correctly then these would be perfect. thanks

snice21 wrote: »
    Thanks Kenny. For the Q acoustics QI65S, I'm just wondering if I'm understanding the specifications correctly. Am I right in saying that I will require a circular cutout in my ceiling of 8 inches diameter and the square grille would sit on top? The reason I ask is because I already have 8 inch (diameter) circular cut outs for other speakers that were too deep and wouldn't fit. If I'm understanding correctly then these would be perfect. thanks
    Hi Snice21.

I've double checked at the QI65s are indeed a circular cutout. The Cutout is 203mm a little under 8".
    Here is a link to their brochure:
    http://www.ceiling-speakers.co.uk/pdf/brochure-1063.pdf

The square grille would go over the top.

I would have to have these ordered up for you but that should not take very long :D

Any questions please let me know.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.