Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telescopic rod for occasional use?

Options
  • 19-06-2013 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

Spurred on by seeing the usual tat in Lidl I wondered if there is such a thing as a decent telescopic rod?

I walk the coast for at least hour and a half each day and it would be nice to have a rod in my pack for some occasional fishing, the current smallest Lidl 1.8m telescopic rod would just fit nicely into my rucsac but guess it would have fallen to bits by the time I came to use it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

not necessarily.

I have two telescopic rods that I bought in Lidl (or was it Aldi? one was definitely Lidl) and, whereas I don't use them very much, the quality is good and I expect them to last a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Well I took a look around 3 tackle shops and found what looked like the same quality of telescopic rods sold in them for not much more money so if Lidl have any left I'll get one tomorrow. The only differences seemed to be a greater choice of rod lengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

You wont find a decent telescopic rod anywhere. Their just not much good compared to normal 2/3 piece rods. You can get good travel rods which pack into a few pieces of about 12inches but the cheaper ones would be €50/60 but the reel would be more on top of that.
    If you intend to use it often its probably worth the extra money.

.red. wrote: »
    You wont find a decent telescopic rod anywhere. Their just not much good compared to normal 2/3 piece rods. You can get good travel rods which pack into a few pieces of about 12inches but the cheaper ones would be €50/60 but the reel would be more on top of that.
    If you intend to use it often its probably worth the extra money.

That does sound more like what I was looking for but so far not seen a travel rod, I don't mind spending that sort of money the point is really that I want it to work on the few occasions I might use it. No point carrying around a cheaper rod for a month and then finding when you need it somethings broken off.

Edit> The other side of the coin is I might as well by one of the cheap telescopic ones just to see if I bother using it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I'd go with red's advice, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys, but on the other hand as you say it might be worth your while getting cheapo lidl one to see if you use it, but my experience is that if it feels shíte you'll find reasons not to use it as it's not as enjoyable as with descent tackle

21/25

• Advertisement

uch wrote: »
    I'd go with red's advice, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys, but on the other hand as you say it might be worth your while getting cheapo lidl one to see if you use it, but my experience is that if it feels shíte you'll find reasons not to use it as it's not as enjoyable as with descent tackle

Not been into Lidl yet so hopefully they will all be gone and save me making a decision on spending a whole €14.99 on one :o but I've already started on the slippery slope of browsing rods online looking for travel rods as suggested by red, and have this page open as I post this http://www.amazon.co.uk/BLACKROCK-GEOTREX-LURE-Quality-Spinning/dp/B004LN4NQY/ which looks great but is a tad to long (packed) and http://www.amazon.co.uk/7-Piece-6ft-Travel-rod/dp/B006TJLZ0A/ which might just do me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

eirator wrote: »
    Not been into Lidl yet so hopefully they will all be gone and save me making a decision on spending a whole €14.99 on one :o but I've already started on the slippery slope of browsing rods online looking for travel rods as suggested by red, and have this page open as I post this http://www.amazon.co.uk/BLACKROCK-GEOTREX-LURE-Quality-Spinning/dp/B004LN4NQY/ which looks great but is a tad to long (packed) and http://www.amazon.co.uk/7-Piece-6ft-Travel-rod/dp/B006TJLZ0A/ which might just do me?

You should be able to get one in ireland. Henrys tackle shop have plenty in stock in different prices upto €350 lol. Have a look round and try to get a deal on a dod reel combo. The savage gear travel rod comes highly reccommended.
    The reel in the lidl one onlg has 2 bearings and they wouldnt be good quality. A few macks would make sh1te of it pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Also bear in mind that it can be difficult to cast accurately to any distance with a rod that short.

21/25

Advertisement