Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does a bankruptcy eliminate a mortgage?

• 19-06-2013 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

Not a judgment mortgage - I know that survives a bankruptcy (against the property of course) but I was just wondering about a general home mortgage.

I assume it does but it just occured to me that it might not.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Akaik, a secured creditor can seek to enforce the security outside of the bankruptcy, but once the Official Assignee takes control, that option may be lost. Certainly any secured creditor should be seeking to crystalise (if necessary) and then realise the security once the petition is filed because it is difficult to take steps after adjudication. Whether the property in question is a family home is also relevant as it will often be transferred totally to the non-arranging spouse.

Obviously, Sanfey & Holohan is your first port of call for this. Not boards.ie like. :pac:

Advertisement