Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EB licence compliant rig

• 19-06-2013 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey, I know this question and others like it have been asked a lot on this forum, but I am gunna ask it anyway.

I am living in cork and am trying to do my EB licence but have no compliant Jeep/car and trailer combination available to me.
    I have emailed and contacted nearly every car instructor in cork to no avail and am starting to loose the plot a bit.
    Basically as I can see it no one in cork offers a compliant vehicle/trailer to perform the test in.
    I have even looked into the possibility of renting such a rig, to no avail

I am hoping someone on here has an answer I haven't tried yet.

TLDR: I need a jeep and trailer to do the EB test in

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

MChamma wrote: »
    Hey, I know this question and others like it have been asked a lot on this forum, but I am gunna ask it anyway.

I am living in cork and am trying to do my EB licence but have no compliant Jeep/car and trailer combination available to me.
    I have emailed and contacted nearly every car instructor in cork to no avail and am starting to loose the plot a bit.
    Basically as I can see it no one in cork offers a compliant vehicle/trailer to perform the test in.
    I have even looked into the possibility of renting such a rig, to no avail

I am hoping someone on here has an answer I haven't tried yet.

TLDR: I need a jeep and trailer to do the EB test in

What about a mid sized boat trailer? You could rent one from a local marina as a lot of boats will be in the water now and trailers will be standing. Any jeep should do you it doesnt need to be 4x4. A proper snipe, indispension etc trailer will be plated and braked.

A mid sized jeep and a 1500-1800 kg GVW boat trailer should be about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MChamma

Hey tin79, thanks for the reply
    The trailer isnt really the problem, more the towing vehicle. I cannot rent a jeep to do the test/pre test lesson as rental companies wont provide an insurance disc, (a requirement for the test) and while a few of the Driving schools have thier own trailer none of them seem to have the jeep to tow it, (mebbie they heard about my driving:cool:) either way the towing vehicle is the main issue.

Before someone says it the reason I cant use the rig I normaly tow with is because it is a ratty old van currently minus tax and DOE, though completly fit for hauling the ocasional car around the country, and fully insured. It also happens to be in Mayo as appose to Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Since when does it need to be a 4x4? Surely it just needs to be a vehicle rated to tow a trailer sutiable for the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MChamma

It doesent, As I understand it the requiremants are:
    1. Entire Rig has an overall length of more that 4.8 meters
    2. Towing vehicle has to have a rated ability to tow a braked trailer of more than 1400kg
    3. Trailer needs to be capable of being more than 1400 kg, eg weight of trailer and load.
    4. If your vehicle is post 2004(may be 2007 correct me if I am wrong here) the trailer has to be a stock trailer/horsebox.... shown by being unable to see out the back window. (This seems a bit mental)
    5. The towing vehicle needs to be road legal, (Tax, Insurance, NCT/DOE) and there needs to be an insurance cert present at the time of the test
    6. Trailer may also need to be sheeted, eg no open trilers (Im not 100% on this)
    What I really want is a company that would sort all that out for me,.. and all I would have to do is sit in and demonstrate my mad trailerz skillz:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭navara man

I don't think you need a jeep to do the test . there a red seat(can't remember the name of the driven school) car and trailer that do eb lesson in mallow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I did my test in Cork in Jan this year and there was a Driving School Jeep and Box Trailer there (as well as a a Merc estate and a horsebox) I have no idea which driving school it was but but the Jeep and trailer were white with advertising on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

It's all on the RSA site afaik. Car, van or 4x4 with trailer over 2.5x1.2m internal size. ie: no 8x4 builders trailers allowed.
    Towing vehicle post 2004 it must be a box trailer of some sort
    Older vehicles can use a flat or low sided trailer. (I did mine in a 03 landcruiser and 14ft flatbed)
    This above rule makes zero sense.. But that's Ireland!

As for getting a vehicle, that is the tricky bit. Do you know anybody who would let you use their van or jeep? You won't be able to rent a jeep or van with a hitch easily.

Advertisement