Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are the words, "private and confidental" binding on a recipient.

• 19-06-2013 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭

Got a hypothetical situation and was wondering if it were to ever happen here, in theory, what could you do about it.

Imagine a situation where as an employee, you get a letter from your employer (who has an ulterior motive), with serious unfounded allegations against you but it is headed "private and confidential", it would be designed to keep you quiet and not tell your colleagues or customers for fear of a backlash. It could be followed by someone disappearing from view due to a "kangaroo court" and probably an unfair dismissal.

1. Is the "private and confidential" bit binding on the employee or could they show it off to everyone as its official/real.

2. If not permissible, what if someone else, ie, spouse/friend, stuck the letter on a lamppost for all to see. Could there be any comeback on this.

I think I saw this scenario on Hill Street Blues, and always wondered about it ever happening here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

"disappearing from view after a Kangaroo Court",

Some serious Health and Safety issues in your workplace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

nuac wrote: »
    "disappearing from view after a Kangaroo Court",

Some serious Health and Safety issues in your workplace?

Funny man! (or woman)

So, just to clarify my idea (if needed). Say the imaginary employer was trying to get rid off a staff member and makes up a load of rubbish but is afraid of the staff member telling everyone whats happening, they were trying to sack them to replace them with cheaper staff, hence the direct letter to their home marked private and confidential..... Then they did the full investigation crap and the kangaroo court rubber stamped it.

If it was Ireland, it would probably go to labour court for exposing, but as its only a hypothetical situation, I am curious of the situation in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

This post has been deleted.

... subject to any other restrictions that the addressee might have accepted as part of an NDA or employment contract.
    Employment contracts will typically include clauses intended to protect the intellectual property and commercially sensitive information of the employer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Both parties have to agree to any sort of contract - you can't just be handed one and be instantly bound by it. If you could i'd own the world and everything in it - or at least i would until someone handed me a letter seizing it all back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

Both parties have to agree to any sort of contract - you can't just be handed one and be instantly bound by it. If you could i'd own the world and everything in it - or at least i would until someone handed me a letter seizing it all back!

Of course, but generally you don't get to become an employee without accepting an employment contract. So where the OP is talking about their employer sending something it is reasonable to assume they have already agreed to an employment contract and would be bound by the terms of that contract.

Advertisement