Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clamping - Car clamped with a disabled badge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Luca T wrote: »
    I'm not missing the point at all, I completely accept I was in the wrong. However there are about 8 free spaces behind me so its not like I am short changing someone and taking their space for the day. It was an oversight on my part and at least now I know the difference.

Unfortunately I am in work now so the chances of me getting a grinder are slim before 6pm and I doubt I will get one after that.

My offer of a bag of cans still stands to anyone who can drop past on their way through though :) !!!

you accept you are in the wrong but you are still trying to entice someone to commit criminal damage?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'm not missing the point at all, I completely accept I was in the wrong. However there are about 8 free spaces behind me so its not like I am short changing someone and taking their space for the day. It was an oversight on my part and at least now I know the difference.

Unfortunately I am in work now so the chances of me getting a grinder are slim before 6pm and I doubt I will get one after that.

My offer of a bag of cans still stands to anyone who can drop past on their way through though :) !!!

So the permit isn't even valid anymore as your not transporting your granny. Would you have left the car parked all day in "your usual space" even though you weren't bringing her home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

You must be a clamper mitosis...

Ah jaysus, that's just mean ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Luca T

corktina wrote: »
    you accept you are in the wrong but you are still trying to entice someone to commit criminal damage?:rolleyes:

Really? I never said anything of the sort? I needed the Grinder/Bolt cutters for something completely different. I cant get my lunchbox open.

OP, can you show us the parking space on google maps.

Here you go chief,

Where the blue car is, is where my car is parked and where the white van is, is where the disabled spot is.

I hope this works now :confused::confused: !!

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    So the permit isn't even valid anymore as your not transporting your granny. Would you have left the car parked all day in "your usual space" even though you weren't bringing her home?

Obviously not, I would have taken her home and parked in my own space. It was valid at the time because I was transporting her up until the clamp was put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Anan1 wrote: »
    You need to learn some respect for private property. Without attitudes like yours there'd be no need for clampers.

you need to learn not to lecture other people on right and wrong. Who made you sheriff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

In fairness to the OP though, he's already said he cannot afford to pay and it doesn't benefit anyone to have a car clamped in their parking space all day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Here you go chief,

Where the blue car is, is where my car is parked and where the white van is, is where the disabled spot is.

lol @ ya man texting while driving :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Here you go chief,

I'm unfamiliar with the area but where the blue car is could be private parking allocated to those living in the apartments.

If this is the case, you've parked on a private property and I can understand why you would have been clamped.

Are there any signs up there saying "Parking for residents only" or the sort ? Take a good look at the area. A lack of signage saying you cannot park there or that you are on private property may be a good argument to make with the clamping company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,278 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Here you go chief,

Do you mean the spot within the Charlemont St flats or the spots clearly within the curtilege of the adjacent Georgian building? Neither would be available for general parking, both are fairly clearly private and not on street parking One might have been marked out as disabled but I imagine either for a resident, a worker or for visiting customers. On this occasion, I think you're gong to have to pony up €120 and certainly don't think about appealing. Anyone willing to cut a clamp off in that location would be highly visible.

Here's the link http://goo.gl/maps/16MQF

OP, are you parked outside someones front door?

I'm unfamiliar with the area but where the blue car is could be private parking allocated to those living in the apartments.

y.

You're definitely unfamiliar - Charlemont Street flats, one of the unacknowledged rough spots of that part of the south side. It's where the general crucified one of his gang members by nailing him to the floor.

If this is the case, you've parked on a private property and I can understand why you would have been clamped.

Are there any signs up there saying "Parking for residents only" or the sort ?

Those flats are boarded up now AM, I havent looked at the sign yet I will when I go around later on. All I know is that it is a NCPS space not a CC space so I presume its private

Marcusm wrote: »
    Do you mean the spot within the Charlemont St flats or the spots clearly within the curtilege of the adjacent Georgian building? Neither would be available for general parking, both are fairly clearly private and not on street parking One might have been marked out as disabled but I imagine either for a resident, a worker or for visiting customers. On this occasion, I think you're gong to have to pony up €120 and certainly don't think about appealing. Anyone willing to cut a clamp off in that location would be highly visible.

yep I spy cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭josip

They're the Tom Kelly flats, and the person you need to contact is the property developer, Sean Reilly.
    (Edit: Who is unlikely to have access to i spy camera footage)

Marcusm wrote: »

There is a disabled spot right where that white van is and that is where we usually park when we go in. I have been doing so for the last 2-3 years and never had a problem.

What difference would it make if it was for a resident, a worker or for visiting customers? Disabled spots cant be "reserved" for just one person.

Tallon wrote: »
    Here's the link http://goo.gl/maps/16MQF

OP, are you parked outside someones front door?

Sure am Tallon, however there is nobody living there anymore

josip wrote: »
    They're the Tom Kelly flats, and the person you need to contact is the property developer, Sean Reilly.
    (Edit: Who is unlikely to have access to i spy camera footage)

Whose loans are currently with NAMA, so these are probably the people to whom NCPS answer in this case. I'd appeal and also write a letter to NAMA. They're unlikely to want the publicity of headlines like

"NAMA CLAMPS DISABLED NANA"

There is a disabled spot right where that white van is and that is where we usually park when we go in. I have been doing so for the last 2-3 years and never had a problem.

What difference would it make if it was for a resident, a worker or for visiting customers? Disabled spots cant be "reserved" for just one person.
    e

It's on private property so the blue badge gives only such rights as the property holder allows. If the doctor is in that building, it's not surprising that they have such a space but they are highly unlikely to police it. I could paint a disabled space on my drive (effectively what that space is), doesn't bring it within ambit of blue badge unless the building owner/occupier is required as part of planning permission to police it as a disabled space. It's not going to help you though as you were parked elsewhere anyway. I feel sorry that the space wasn't available but I can't see what you're going to do.

Whose loans are currently with NAMA, so these are probably the people to whom NCPS answer in this case. I'd appeal and also write a letter to NAMA. They're unlikely to want the publicity of headlines like

"NAMA CLAMPS DISABLED NANA"

They may have taken over his loans but I do not believe they have taken enforcement action so Mr Reilly's company remains in control of the assets day to day. That might be a better avenue to approach.

• Advertisement

Just to give you a bit of an update on this lads, went out to the car rang up and asked to be unclamped. The Brother in law came to the rescue with €120 cash, the clamper got to the car asked to see the disabled badge, checked to make sure it was in date and then took off the clamp free of charge.

Job done. (The clamper was actually sound enough which is surprising!!)

Thanks for all the help

Luca T

Did you tell him you were gonna cut it off? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm guessing the OP is suitably ashamed of that thought now. :)

i doubt that

Haha I did not, I did give him back the other 3 that were in my boot though because he was so nice...

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'm guessing the OP is suitably ashamed of that thought now. :)

corktina wrote: »
    i doubt that

Your damn right corktina I have no shame when it comes to clampers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just to give you a bit of an update on this lads, went out to the car rang up and asked to be unclamped. The Brother in law came to the rescue with €120 cash, the clamper got to the car asked to see the disabled badge, checked to make sure it was in date and then took off the clamp free of charge.

Job done. (The clamper was actually sound enough which is surprising!!)

Thanks for all the help

Luca T

I'd of given him a tenner for a pint :)

kceire wrote: »
    I'd of given him a tenner for a pint :)

A pint is only a fiver?

So which clamper was technically correct? The one who clamped you originally or the one who unclamped you for free?
    Do clampers officially have powers of "discretion" similar to the Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

A pint is only a fiver?

The extra would be to cover his parking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

So which clamper was technically correct? The one who clamped you originally or the one who unclamped you for free?
    Do clampers officially have powers of "discretion" similar to the Gardai?

As far as I know they are self employed and work on a commission basis so yes they would have the power of discretion.

Advertisement