Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Season

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I presume there is a list somewhere of everything that was on the mall. As to Jeremy's grumbles about what was shown afterwards, meh, get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Don't think there was that much on the Mall considering they bulked it up with several models of the same car.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I thought the documentary about the German auto industry was interesting, when else would it have been broadcast if not after a car-show? We get it Clarkson - boo the Germans, they're the bad guys etc. etc. :rolleyes:

A subdued, but fairly enjoyable episode; the little dig about the fakery of the hoverboat was cute. As for the piece at the end, well I think they probably stretched out what constituted being 'British made', but the sentiment was noble enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Was I the only one missing a proper "buy a car for 1k pounds" type of show? I also found the hover car to be boring building; I much prefer when there's some competiton (like the converting to boats, the train chase etc.) over all working on one thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 motorhead79

1k pounds cars come on they would be crap lol . Hope you mean second hand ? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Last segment was fine, just started to get a bit cringey when they appeared with the union-jacks flying from the back of their cars.

Decent series. For all the wacky stuff they do, the show is still at its strongest for me when they're just reviewing and getting excited about a new car (some series highlights for me....Ferrari F12, Lamborghini Sesto Elemento, the electric Mercedes SLS). Doesn't necessarily have to be supercars either, the review of the Range Rover Sport the other night was enjoyable.

The other part I like is when they dedicate an episode to the three of them going on a long road-trip.

The wacky segments are much more miss than hit at this stage, with a lot of the ideas getting recycled (e.g. that bike race in the old BBC building was really poor). SIARPC is a really tired segment these days too.

I'll still be watching next season because they're still capable of some great segments, just there's a good bit of fluff now, between one gimmicky segment and SIARPC every episode, it feels like there's a half-an-hour of filler in a lot of shows.
    Nody wrote: »
    Was I the only one missing a proper "buy a car for 1k pounds" type of show?

Yeah, don't think I'd ever get tired of watching those. They don't need to be so strict with the budget either, they could give them 5-10k for a bit of variation.

Why was it cringy when they had the flags ? They were doing a segment on the best of British motoring .

Why was it cringy when they had the flags ? They were doing a segment on the best of British motoring .

I didn't mind the general sentiment, celebrating British engineering and all that. But as someone said, the Britishness of some of the cars were was a bit exaggerated, and I think you can do it without flag-waving. If the Americans or Germans did a piece on their national motor industry that ended with them waving national flags, those lads would be the first to mock it.

Yeah but some of the best made cars come from UK manufacturers how many come from Ireland ? Ahh 0 I think . Apart from stents what does Ireland produce ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

padraig_f wrote: »
    I didn't mind the general sentiment, celebrating British engineering and all that. But as someone said, the Britishness of some of the cars were was a bit exaggerated, and I think you can do it without flag-waving. If the Americans or Germans did a piece on their national motor industry that ended with them waving national flags, those lads would be the first to mock it.
    They possibly would but Top Gear has always had a huge British bias that verges on comical. It's half tongue in cheek the other half is genuine national pride. The Brits have a lot to be proud of. You can never take anything said on top gear to seriously, it's only a bit of craic at the end of the day.
    Yeah but some of the best made cars come from UK manufacturers how many come from Ireland ? Ahh 0 I think . Apart from stents what does Ireland produce ?
    Ireland has some very high level engineering and we do a lot of work for car manufacturers. We make bits and pieces rather than whole cars. Just recently I was told about an engineering company that was making parts that will be going up to the international space station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

ScumLord wrote: »
    They possibly would but Top Gear has always had a huge British bias that verges on comical. It's half tongue in cheek the other half is genuine national pride. The Brits have a lot to be proud of. You can never take anything said on top gear to seriously, it's only a bit of craic at the end of the day

Exactly. The only thing that gets to me, is when they involve the military in the program. But on the whole, TG is just a bit of craic & should be viewed as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Almost turned off at the end of ep6.

Christ like. British yak yak, we get it, Jezza doesn't pass up an opportunity to mention how awesome the empire is. I don't mind the military being used cos they actually do decent enough footage with them.

Webber was terribly underused imo. Barely got a few words in, Jezza much more interested in cracking jokes. I have time for Webber, likable bloke.

Not the best season, the preview in ep01 made it look better than it turned out to be.

More specials, more challenges imo.

"can you buy a decent korean car for 3k and drive it to spain" or something

If you don't like the British flags on a british show then why don't you stop watching it and watch the Irish version oh wait there isn't one lol :-) stop talking trash about top gear guys

Umm, no

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Apart from stents what does Ireland produce ?

stents :confused: whats that?

Stents keep the arteries open when they are narrow or week :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

If you don't like the British flags on a british show then why don't you stop watching it and watch the Irish version oh wait there isn't one lol :-) stop talking trash about top gear guys

I thought it was a car show, not a how-much-of-a-patriot-are-you show.

again it is their show so they can do what they like .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭justforlaugh

What we sometime forget we are watching a british programmes made for british audience.

The flags thing, everywhere you go in america you cant avoid seeing american flags whereby in the uk you be lucky to see one every now and again.

(BBC) stand for British Broadcasting Corporation.... just be gateful we get bbc free unlike the british!

• Advertisement

What we sometime forget we are watching a british programmes made for british audience.

The flags thing, everywhere you go in america you cant avoid seeing american flags whereby in the uk you be lucky to see one every now and again.

(BBC) stand for British Broadcasting Corporation.... just be gateful we get bbc free unlike the british!

Thank you at last someone who knows the score :-) do we ever think why we still pay a tv licence when RTE has breaks ?

dfx- wrote: »
    I thought it was a car show, not a how-much-of-a-patriot-are-you show.
    It's not a car show as such. It's a show about 3 old men that get to drive any car they want. The show is the 3 hosts.

And this is a non-British forum, where we post our impressions of the show.

That is fine but to be saying they are being too british is not credible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭justforlaugh

a non-british forum talking about a british show :pac::pac::pac:

a non-british forum talking about a british show :pac::pac::pac:

And saying it is not good :-) can anyone tell me why we Irish pay a tv licence ? can't be because fair city is sooo good lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Back on topic guys. Who cares what country you're in when you watch it? Cars are cars in any country.

Mr E wrote: »
    Back on topic guys. Who cares what country you're in when you watch it? Cars are cars in any country.

The old porsche with all modern fittings was the best thing I thought :-)

The old porsche with all modern fittings was the best thing I thought :-)
    Did they not put a price of 2 million on that car?

Chris Harris has it at $500,000.

Anyone looking for a Top Gear like "review" show will probably like Chris Harris.

^^ I like CH work.

I follow Drive on youtube and he seems pretty solid. The short segments mean it's not boring.

I had heard he was a bit of a plonker but I don't see it myself.

Advertisement