Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Cert for Contractor

Options
  • 19-06-2013 3:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

I am working in a company as a contractor for the past ten months. This is my first contracting job. I was on sick leave last week and the boss in the company has asked for a doctors cert for the days I was off.
    Obviously, as a contractor I do not get paid for any days I dont work including sick, holidays etc.
    I have no problem giving them the cert, I was just wondering is this normal practice for a non employee to produce a cert ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

It's very odd if you are working under your own Ltd. company and billing the client directly or going through an agency.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

It's very odd if you are working under your own Ltd. company and billing the client directly or going through an agency.

Yeah thats exactly what I am doing, as my own limited company going through an agency
    Its odd alright but i'll just give him the cert to keep him happy I guess ..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Possibly just a not a very subtle way of discouraging duvet days; even if they're not paying sick leave or annual leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Eoin wrote: »
    Possibly just a not a very subtle way of discouraging duvet days; even if they're not paying sick leave or annual leave.
    thats it !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Eoin wrote: »

If theres one thing I have discovered since starting contracting is that contractors rarely take duvet days, cause they aint gettin paid !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Yeah thats exactly what I am doing, as my own limited company going through an agency
    Its odd alright but i'll just give him the cert to keep him happy I guess ..

Since you are not an employee and you do not have a direct contract with him, tell him to discuss it with the agency. It would not be the first time a client tried a little insurance fraud....

Advertisement