Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants in Dublin for gf's birthday

Options
  • 19-06-2013 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I'm heading to Dublin first weekend in July and looking for a decent restaurant in Dublin city center. Its for my girlfriends birthday so looking to impress and not afraid to pay a little extra.

I have heard a few places like Church on jervis street although some people have said its more like pub grub? Would this place be good for a fancy dinner for two?

Rustic stone has also come up in conversation. Can anyone recommend?

Basically I am looking for a place where 2 people can enjoy a romantic dinner without groups all around us and servers dishes such as steak, chicken etc. Open to all ideas.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Moved from Food & Drink.

You're more likely to get helpful replies in the Dublin City forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

The Church is definitely not what you're looking for.

Try The Pigs Ear, The Winding Stair, Locks Brasserie, Seven Social, L'Ecrivain, The Greenhouse or if you're really willing to go for it, Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

my missus and I go to marco pierre whites on dawson street for occasions like birthdays etc. A little expensive but not too expensive
    (around €30-€35 for a steak) usually we spend €100-€150 total inc wine, starters and dessert.

Id recommend the beetroot and walnut salad followed by a t-bone. The missus usually gets a fillet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

One pico is fab and I'm sure does an early bird.
    Chapter one (quite expensive).
    L'ecrivain I absolutely loved but expensive.
    Wasn't impressed at all with the rustic stone.
    Dobbins - delicious food.
    Pearl brasserie do a great early bird.
    Try menupages or tripadvisor for reviews an ideas.
    Saba if you like Thai food but book early.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i love 777

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ardeehey

Yes, a lot of good recommedations there:

The Pearl is great, owned by the same people that have Lock's (which is excellent and not over the top price wise)
    Guillbaud's is amazing and pricey, same with Chapter One.

I thought that Dax just off Lesson St was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

If you're both into steak I can highly recommend Buenos Aires Grill, Golden Lane (near St Patricks Cathedral). It's a bit pricey but the steaks are amazing! You would need to book this soon.
    Or a little further out you've Rolly's in Ballsbridge.

Food upstairs in the church is nice but I think the menu can be a bit limited. If you're looking for a spot of lunch their bar food is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Sabor Brazil

The best restaurant i've ever been to. In Dublin or anywhere.
    It'll cost about 200 quid for both of you, but it's without a doubt money well spent
    (btw it's just off camden street)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

How long is a piece of string? :)

I'd second Dax, superb food and nice ambiance. Both Pearl and Dobbins nearby are great too, the latter probably more reasonable in terms of price. If you want something alternative, try Montys of Kathmandu, a Nepalese restaurant off Dame Street. Nicer imho than Saba, which is more popular with large work parties.

Avoid The Church. Basically pub food, and the crowd gets a little messy on sunny days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

How long is a piece of string? :)

I'd second Dax, superb food and nice ambiance. Both Pearl and Dobbins nearby are great too, the latter probably more reasonable in terms of price. If you want something alternative, try Montys of Kathmandu, a Nepalese restaurant off Dame Street. Nicer imho than Saba, which is more popular with large work parties.

Avoid The Church. Basically pub food, and the crowd gets a little messy on sunny days.

I'd second monty's. Just make sure your into that kinda food first. Delicious food and so tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Blingy wrote: »
    I'd second monty's. Just make sure your into that kinda food first. Delicious food and so tasty.
    Fallon & Byrne is fab and not too overpriced. I am surprised nobody mentioned it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

i love 777

it's nice but it doesn't sound at all like what OP asked for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Supermac's on O'connell street.
    Get the shift while having some chips and a half-decent burger.
    What more could a girl want?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Blingy wrote: »
    One pico is fab and I'm sure does an early bird.
    Chapter one (quite expensive).
    L'ecrivain I absolutely loved but expensive.
    Wasn't impressed at all with the rustic stone.
    Dobbins - delicious food.
    Pearl brasserie do a great early bird.
    Try menupages or tripadvisor for reviews an ideas.
    Saba if you like Thai food but book early.

Agree with all these
    the Residence on Stephens Green is also a good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Sabor Brazil

The best restaurant i've ever been to. In Dublin or anywhere.
    It'll cost about 200 quid for both of you, but it's without a doubt money well spent
    (btw it's just off camden street)

How does this place work, there is a tasting menu for 100 euro on the website - is that it? No other menu?

The best steak Ive ever eaten in a Dublin restaurant was in FXBs on Pembroke St. Nice quiet atmosphere too. Personally Im not mad for steak so unless its your "thing" I wouldnt go to FXBs.

Plenty of good places mentioned here, the only one Id avoid like the plague is the Buenos Aires Grill - bad service, bad food, pretentious and noisy - wouldnt recommend at all, its not a romantic place.

Im fond of Il Baccaro in Meeting House Square. Its small and rustic and the food is authentic.

I also like the food in The Millstone on Dame St - and its not too busy a place or too pricey. The monkfish is super yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Darwin's on auinger street is pretty good and not that expensive. Was there recently and had the 14oz stiplion. Was one of the nicest steaks I've ever had. The desserts were equally delicious. They also have a very good veggie menu which is one of the reasons we chose the place. Staff are very friendly. Service was a little slow due to a big party at the rear but it wasn't loud and didn't interfere with our meal. That was my second time there and id still go back again.

Have heard very mixed reviews about beuonos Aries grill. Small and tough steak and servers with little or no English.

777 was terrible when the oh went there.

Brasserie 66 is worth a mention too

Slunk wrote: »
    Brasserie 66 is worth a mention too

I like the food here and enjoy a group meal, but its crazy busy and noisy, wouldnt consider it for a romantic meal for 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Slunk wrote: »
    Darwin's on auinger street is pretty good and not that expensive

Yeah, better steak than FX and Shannahans, that's for sure. Decor is a bit dodgy though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Fallon & Byrne is fab and not too overpriced. I am surprised nobody mentioned it.

Falllon & Byrne is great, and the pre-theatre menu is fantastic value, but the place tends to be very crowded, and due to the high ceilings, very very noisy. It's great for a group, but I find it too much for an intimate meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭anmhi02

Millstone on Dame street.....my favourite romantic place to eat.....cocktails are gorgeous too. Highly recommend the Baileys Bliss. Enjoy :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

I would second One Pico, Pigs Ear and L'Ecrivain - all suitably fancy, good for a date and great food.

777, Saba and Montys, while I like them I wouldn't pick them for a romantic dinner (and I think Montys is way overpriced).

If you don't mind going out of city centre a little, I'd also recommend Asador - went here for a romantic dinner and it was great! Cote de Boeuf was to die for...

And even further out I've heard lots of good things about Mulberry Gardens, and personally I love the French Paradox (tiny wine bar, very intimate, food gets served to you by chefs wearing chef hats!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

OP, you will probably have to state what price range you are looking towards. While the places listed are pretty much all lovely places for a romantic meal, some can fall on the expensive side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

How does this place work, there is a tasting menu for 100 euro on the website - is that it? No other menu?

Fixed seven or eight course tasting menu that will fill you up nicely. Lots of drink included but don't book anything else for the evening. The meal will be the highlight.

I'd also recommend Arches Bistro in Churchtown. 2nd on Tripadvisor and a little bit out of town but well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

L'Ecrivain

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

+1 for Saba up near Stephens Green if she's into Thai. Nice setting and not too expensive.

The best for Japanese food has to be Musashi on Capel St without a doubt, but it aint too fancy so maybe not the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

For something a bit different, I really recommend Terra Madre on Bachelors Walk. Tiny menu (printed on an A4 page!) and very simple interior, but the food and wine is amongst the best in Dublin, and the staff are great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Aside from those mentioned, how about:

Fire - next to the mansion house
    poorthouse - lovely romatic tapas place on south william st
    Salamanca - nice Spanish place
    Alfies - cool place on south William st
    bridge bar and grill - large place in grand canal docks. really cool atmosphere and good food
    chez max - lovely French place next to Dublin castle
    ely - really nice wine bars and great food. 2 in the docklands and one by merrion square
    Eden - lovely atmosphere, nice and romantic
    Chatham brasserie - another romantic place with great service
    La ruelle wine bar - really nice wine bar place just off dawson street
    Bite - south Frederick street - lovely atmosphere there
    dunne & crescenzi - great food
    il primo - really good Italian food on montague street
    white friar grill - gorgeous space on Aunguier street.

out of city centre, mulberry bush in Donnybrook is very romantic. plenty of good places in Ranelagh village also, butcher grill, dillengers, pinochio Italian is a great date spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Tribeca in Ranelagh has good atmosphere, reasonably priced, a few good pubs nearby - and the best buffalo wings in Dublin!

• Advertisement

liffeylite - If you are talking about Eden on Meeting House Square - I think its gone.

Advertisement