Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of getting a B1 Visa ?

Options
  • 19-06-2013 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the cost & procedure for getting a B1 (business use) visa ?

Do you have to go through a lawyer or can you just rock up to the embassy some day & apply for it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You can't just "rock up on the day" for it but you certainly don't need a lawyer for it. The application must be done online in advance and an appointment made for the interview process.

Cost is here: http://dublin.usembassy.gov/non-immigrant_visas/niv-fees.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Bloody hell.

I was quoted $2,250 earlier for getting it done "legally".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Why not just use the ESTA?

Because a B1 can lead to an E1 in as short a time as six months to a year.

An E1 has great benefits.

An ESTA is a visa waiver so you've no right to be conducting business & could be expelled.

I'm not sure how you make the leap from B1 to E1. If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it.

Anyway, you can conduct business of certain types when travelling under the ESTA, in a similar manner to the B visa. There is a distinct difference between conducting business and working/employment (which is prohibited on both)

• Advertisement

That's the information I was given.

The B1 allows you to do business, not "work" in the US. You have to be paid by an Irish company & cannot take renumeration from an American company, so no contracting etc. It's to facilitate conferences, meetings etc. It allows you to set up a network in the US & develop your business over there.

Once you can prove that you are receiving no less than 50% (dollar value) of your annual turnover from the US, you can apply for an E1. The E1 allows you to live & conduct business (while still being paid by an Irish company) in the US, however it also allows you to move your family to the US & your spouse will be able to work for any US business without being sponsored, or attend school. Your children can attend school & you will all be afforded most of the benefits of being a greencard holder.

Can you point me in the direction of where to read up on doing business under the ESTA ? I'd be interested in reading it as I was told this was not possible.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

OU812 wrote: »
    Can you point me in the direction of where to read up on doing business under the ESTA ? I'd be interested in reading it as I was told this was not possible.

I don't have a link but I work for a major multinational company and we send people to the US legally on the ESTA to conduct business in the form of meetings or to provide training to US workers.

> Once you can prove that you are receiving no less than 50% (dollar value) of your annual turnover from the US, you can apply for an E1.

I think that the 50% figure refers to the amount of trade between the US and Ireland for the product in question. To qualify for the E1 you need to be investing in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Ponster wrote: »
    I don't have a link but I work for a major multinational company and we send people to the US legally on the ESTA to conduct business in the form of meetings or to provide training to US workers.

I agree with this. I used to work for American Airlines in Ireland and later for a British firm that did business with the US and always went over on the VWP for meetings, conferences and training. That is why, when you enter, they ask you "business or pleasure?".

That's the information I was given.

I hope, from a different source than that which was going to charge you $2k+ for a B visa

As said, I think there may be a misunderstanding about the nature of the E1. Investment is key there, and no small investment either.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Spotfire

Do you know how long it takes to get the visa from the date of application?

As in - do you get interviewed quickly and approved fast?

• Advertisement
Advertisement