Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sparkling wine - corny keg

Options
  • 19-06-2013 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Has anyone tried kegging and carbonating wine?
    Its a bit of a pain to do sparking wine in bottles, but don't know why I didn't think of just force carbing wine.

Would it work? Has anyone tried it? Any suggestions on a suitable wine kit for a sparkling wine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

really? i find wine the easiest thing to carbonate.

the idea of a keg full of wine, doesn't fill me with the same level of excitement as a keg of beer ...

in principle though your idea should work, just I would probably work on why your sparkling wine bottling techniques are not working the way you want.

Hint: new yeast (champagne?) in your priming solution

• Registered Users Posts: 8 loftybush

sharingan wrote: »
    really? i find wine the easiest thing to carbonate.

the idea of a keg full of wine, doesn't fill me with the same level of excitement as a keg of beer ...

in principle though your idea should work, just I would probably work on why your sparkling wine bottling techniques are not working the way you want.

Hint: new yeast (champagne?) in your priming solution
    Adding yeast to the priming solution!! That would work alright.

Also what kind of bottles do you use? Ordinary wine bottles (non-sparkling ones) wouldn't be the strongest?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

loftybush wrote: »
    Adding yeast to the priming solution!! That would work alright.

Also what kind of bottles do you use? Ordinary wine bottles (non-sparkling ones) wouldn't be the strongest?

Sometimes if the wine has been racked for ages, you dont have enough yeast to carbonate well, so adding some yeast into the priming solution can help (but its tricky and can backfire in other ways). You want the yeast to be fully hydrated (if you are starting another wine, consider making a starter, and using some of the starter for priming your soon to be carbonated wine.

I like my fizzy wine to be very fizzy (2x heaped teaspoons of sugar per 750ml bottle at least), so I collect champagne bottles and strong beer bottles. They can take serious pressure. Leffe beer bottles can often be the cheapest to come by. It is regularly promoted here in London, and a lot of my sparkling wines are bottled into them.

Wine bottles can take minor amounts of carbonation, but I wouldn't trust them. An overcarbed bottle exploding is a very violent thing (no floor, wall or ceiling will be untouched).

Advertisement