Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban Baiting

Options
  • 19-06-2013 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭

A recent post has prompted me to wonder about the existence of ban baiters. That is the idiot replies designed to wind you up and everyone else until you snap and say something supposedly hurtful.The moderator then gives you a ban and the baiter gets a laugh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

gets popcorn

amidoinitrite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

atkin wrote: »
    A recent post has prompted me to wonder about the existence of ban baiters. That is the idiot replies designed to wind you up and everyone else until you snap and say something supposedly hurtful.The moderator then gives you a ban and the baiter gets a laugh.

Ban baiters? Surely you could have come up with better than that :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

You talking badgers here?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Oh it happens alot on here :pac:

One thing I noticed on boards is that for example you can't call someone a fucking idiot - fair enough thats rude - But there are ways around this such as calling some "a complete and utter moron" but you won't get banned for that. But same meaning. So some people take advantage of that.

They'll insult you and they'll rise you with the above. Hoping you'll take the bait and tell them to fuck off - then in comes a mod with "personal abuse" and the other person in question "thanks" the mod's post whilst jerking off.

Reality is, just like in the real world, there are alot of ****-stirrers. Who love nothing better than to rise people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

That's racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

So you've just discovered trolls

Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

oh is that what they meant when they said "ill bait the head off ye"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I consider myself to be a 'ban avoider', that is, someone who doesn't take anything said on the internet seriously enough to say something I regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

But there are ways around this such as calling some "a complete and utter moron" but you won't get banned for that.

I'm pretty sure you'd get infracted/banned for that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

If you think someone's on the wind-up, report the post and say so. It's the only way the mods can notice it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

One thing I noticed on boards is that for example you can't call someone a fucking idiot - fair enough thats rude - But there are ways around this such as calling some "a complete and utter moron" but you won't get banned for that. But same meaning. So some people take advantage of that.

The best way to get around it is to call their post idiotic. Whenever I call someone's post idiotic or (better still) imbecilic, it's probably quite obvious that I'm only doing so because the rules preclude me from calling them an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

RayM wrote: »
    The best way to get around it is to call their post idiotic. Whenever I call someone's post idiotic or (better still) imbecilic, it's probably quite obvious that I'm only doing so because the rules preclude me from calling them an idiot.

This post is idiotic or imbecilic. Or wankerish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

I think i heard a very good ban baiter is known as a master

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

ahahaha Trolls are so funny! I love them. <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Specialun wrote: »
    I think i heard a very good ban baiter is known as a master
    Yup, a lot of master baiters here alright. And some right nuckingfackers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

That is the idiot replies.

Who are you calling an idiot ?

You know absolutely nothing about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

How do you see your infractions? Or is that top secret information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Nemeses wrote: »
    How do you see your infractions? Or is that top secret information?
    They hide them cunningly under the heading "Infractions".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Hitchens

from the American Dictionary of English:

Infraction - A crime less serious than a felony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

If you think someone's on the wind-up, report the post and say so. It's the only way the mods can notice it.

rat

• Advertisement

Ban baiters? Excellent - I've a birthday coming up soon, good to know I won't be getting any birthday baitings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Valetta wrote: »
    You talking badgers here?

No such thing as badgers that talk, don't be silly.

They hide them cunningly under the heading "Infractions".

Eh? Which heading are you talking about willis?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

El Guapo! wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you'd get infracted/banned for that too.

I think the trick is to say 'That post is like something a f*cking idiot would post'.

No such thing as badgers that talk, don't be silly.

Thats a lie, I can prove it!

Note: They can also play guitar really well!

Eh? Which heading are you talking about willis?

Click on your own name and it'll bring you to your profile. There'll be an "infractions" tab there. Click that and you'll see your infractions/bans.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Click on your own name and it'll bring you to your profile. There'll be an "infractions" tab there. Click that and you'll see your infractions/bans.

Cheers man, had a nose... I don't have one of those tabs.

This is the same tab next to visitors ,friends, stats etc

If so. I must be a very good boy here on boards!

Cheers man, had a nose... I don't have one of those tabs.

This is the same tab next to visitors ,friends, stats etc

If so. I must be a very good boy here on boards!

If you get an infraction or a ban, you'll get a pm about it so it won't come as a surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I agree completely, I think such behaviour here is despicable. The only problem is, like masterbaiting, poster baiting is one of those lesser openly talked about subjects. Perhaps boards can form a committee to discuss and draft a code. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It sometimes amazes me how people get sucked in so easily. most of the time, the poster being trolled knows full well they are being trolled but still react.

Trolls love posters like that.

Advertisement