Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA Cup Final to returns as last fixture of the season

• 19-06-2013 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Couldn't understand why it moved in the first place, very confusing indeed for old folks like me :pac:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22966747
    The FA Cup final will return to the end of the domestic season for the first time since 2010 from next year.
    Premier League games were played on the same weekend as the last three finals.

FA general secretary Alex Horne said: "We're aware fans and media have been calling for the FA Cup final to have a day to itself and we're delighted that this is going to happen for 2014."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Can they rebuild the old Wembley as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Good stuff, I hope it goes back to a 3pm kick off too.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It was moved back this year and 2011 because of the Champions League Final being played in Wembley I believe. Think it was moved back last year because of the Euros? This is just a return to the norm I think anyway.

Edit, from wiki:
    While the date of the 2011 final was affected by the Champions League Final, the 2012 fixture was scheduled in order to provide a clear four-week period between the end of the English season and the start of UEFA Euro 2012.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭Dr_Brian_Cocks

I think I preferred the Millenium Stadium, although I think it's one of the best stadiums in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Great, 3pm KO too if possible. I want FA cup final coverage from 9am rigit up until the kick off. Celebrity fans, road to the final, player and manager interviews. The whole shooting match.

The kids of today should have the same experience we had, cup final day used to be genuinely exciting, something to be obsess over and really look forward too.

Now I don't watch it unless my side are playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Just watch the old ones on video.. can watch it any day of the year too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I am pie wrote: »
    Great, 3pm KO too if possible. I want FA cup final coverage from 9am rigit up until the kick off. Celebrity fans, road to the final, player and manager interviews. The whole shooting match.

The kids of today should have the same experience we had, cup final day used to be genuinely exciting, something to be obsess over and really look forward too.

Now I don't watch it unless my side are playing.

What's this? 1985 or something? :p

Yes, it was great back in the old days with the whole day build up and everyone watched it. But the big difference is that back then, the only LIVE footie shown on TV was the FA Cup Final, European Cup+Cup Winner Cup finals and internationals(qualifiers only). So it was a big day because it was live. Now with the saturation of live games on the box almost everyday, it's uniqueness has diminished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭paulgalway

I remember watching the cameras on the team buses going to Wembly.

Particularly the late 70's when Arsenal were in 3 finals in a row. They had a strong Irish contingent (both north and south); and there were Irish rebel songs, playing over the intercom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

paulgalway wrote: »
    I remember watching the cameras on the team buses going to Wembly.

Particularly the late 70's when Arsenal were in 3 finals in a row. They had a strong Irish contingent (both north and south); and there were Irish rebel songs, playing over the intercom.

They were dubbed "London Irish" at the time. In one league fixture at least as far as I remember they had 7 Irish players starting for them. 4 from The South; Brady, O'Leary, Stapleton and Devine and 3 from The North; Jennings, Rice and Nelson. The manager was Terry Neill from The North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

meh, would like the twin towers, but not the old stadium, it was naff really

• Advertisement

It was moved back this year and 2011 because of the Champions League Final being played in Wembley I believe. Think it was moved back last year because of the Euros? This is just a return to the norm I think anyway.

Edit, from wiki:

I know, this is what really annoys me about UEFA, they move the CL Finals to Saturday, hopefully UEFA will see sense and put it back to mid week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

nucker wrote: »
    I know, this is what really annoys me about UEFA, they move the CL Finals to Saturday, hopefully UEFA will see sense and put it back to mid week

Do I have this right - you are saying UEFA should move the Champions League final to a day of the week which doesn't interfere with the English Cup final?

Do I have this right - you are saying UEFA should move the Champions League final to a day of the week which doesn't interfere with the English Cup final?

Maybe :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Just a question, what happens if a team in the FA cup final is also in the CL final? Are they both down for the same date?

Just a question, what happens if a team in the FA cup final is also in the CL final? Are they both down for the same date?

I dunno, that is what I was thinking now the sweet FA have changed their minds. Perhaps they can persuade UEFA to change the CL final is played on back to Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They definitely won't be on the same day anyway, would be madness by the FA. Would expect it to be the Saturday before or after the champions league final (whichever is the first free Saturday after the league finishes).

Advertisement