Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there any point or benefit in supplying parts to a mechanic?

• 19-06-2013 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

My timing belt is due to be replaced at my next service, and it's my first service since i got this car (focus). All previous services have been done at a Ford garage and i'm going to continue this trend. However my local ford garage has quoted me approx 180 for the service and 300 for the timing belt replacement.

is there any point or saving to be made by obtaining a belt myself and bringing it along to be fitted? will the garage tell me where to go? could i try to haggle a better deal out of the garage, or is the price quoted fair?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I'm bringing some burgers to McDonalds later, I'll let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Your in control of the parts bill and quality of parts supplied. Often do it myself as I buy a lot of parts online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

Why not ask the garage?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

My mechanic has no problem with it, in fact the last time I went in he asked me to source the part myself. It's an old car, I'm probably saving him a good bit of trouble, and of course time I would ultimately pay for. I also save a fair whack by buying from a dealer in the UK that does mail order. Or used, in some cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

VeVeX wrote: »
    I'm bringing some burgers to McDonalds later, I'll let you know how I get on.

Quiet, the adults are talking. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Cungi wrote: »
    Why not ask the garage?

I probably will. I assumed that independant garages would probably have no problems with it, but main dealer garages with their access to parts and spares may not be impressed. but i suppose it cant hurt to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

While in some instances I would, it's worth bearing in mind that if a part you supply turns out to be faulty, and the car needs to be repaired again, you'll end up paying twice for labour. It has to be a good saving in the first place, and often it's not worth the risk for the savings made:)

so do the prices quoted sound right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

your quote sounds competitive.

remember, your mechanic wont offer warranty on the job (understandably) unless he provides the parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭cletus

so do the prices quoted sound right?

What year is the car? If its out of its warranty, you'll probably get a cheaper rate with an indie mech

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    What year is the car? If its out of its warranty, you'll probably get a cheaper rate with an indie mech

it's 06. I'd used indies with my previous car as it was an old banger. the service history of my current car has always been with a ford dealer and i was going to stick with that out of completeness really (and the dealer stamp)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

[QUOTE=120_Minutes;85156575 However my local ford garage has quoted me approx 180 for the service and 300 for the timing belt replacement.[/QUOTE]

I think that's a reasonable price for the Tbelt, a little on the high side but only a little, for a regular service ( oil & filters ) from a main dealer

If I was offered that price, I'd take it

grand so, when the time comes i'll try the old "can you do any better?" they can only say no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I nearly always source the parts myself, right down to the oil i want put in my car. I will usually do the basic service myself (oil and filters and plugs) but anything else i get the garage to do and i give them the bits to do the job, saving time for everyone. I wouldn't pay extra for a dealer stamp, but thats just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

It's highly unlikely the Ford main dealer will fit parts that you supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

On parts that you buy yourself would you pay 23% vat? I think that parts supplied by the garage are charged at 13.5% so an indy might get the parts at a lower or similar price to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Dr.Rieux wrote: »
    On parts that you buy yourself would you pay 23% vat? I think that parts supplied by the garage are charged at 13.5% so an indy might get the parts at a lower or similar price to you

This is correct and will help to offset any price difference.

You also have to remember that any indy will know what the bottom line is on any particular job and any loss of margin caused by the customer supplying their own parts will only end up being added onto the labour to compensate so in many cases supplying your own parts can actually be counterproductive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Will the garage actually stamp the book if you supply your own parts. I know an independent will. But a ford main dealer might not stamp it the fact that genuine ford parts weren't used. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with not using ford genuine parts but a dealer may look at it differently. You also would loose the warranty on the work done. I honestly don't see the point in going to a main if you are going to supply parts. I think the prices quoted are fairly reasonable for a main dealer anyway.

Op if you want to save money go to a competent independent and let them do the job a good independent garage will do as good a job as any main dealer. Also op if you plan on keeping the car for 3-4 years then the car will be practically worthless anyway and the ford stamp won't make much difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

it's 06. I'd used indies with my previous car as it was an old banger. the service history of my current car has always been with a ford dealer and i was going to stick with that out of completeness really (and the dealer stamp)

The car will be, what, 10 yrs old when you come round to sellin it??? I don't think the dealers stamp will matter much then. It'll still be a 10 yr old car, with 10 yrs wear and tear on it. Once you supply a service history immaterial of whether its a main dealer or not, that's all that'll matter at that stage. Go with the indie. My uncle is an indie and I trust his work far more than a main dealer after all the horror stories I've heard from friends etc...

Thanks for all the posts, i really learned a lot. so, i've decided there's no point getting the parts myself, and that the dealer stamp wont be a selling point in (at least) 4 years time when i come to sell.

so, some have said here that the prices quoted are good for a main dealer. If thats the case, i'm not likely to save much by going to an indie then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

so, some have said here that the prices quoted are good for a main dealer. If thats the case, i'm not likely to save much by going to an indie then?

Probably about €100 to be saved between the 2 jobs by going for an independent vs dealer. As already posted the prices are pretty good for a main dealer.

ok thanks, and probably my final question for corkonians, recommend an indie in east cork/city area?

so, i've decided there's no point getting the parts myself

Similar to bringing burgers to McDonalds then? :p

VeVeX wrote: »
    Similar to bringing burgers to McDonalds then? :p

Way past your bedtime, sonny.

Way past your bedtime, sonny.

Touche

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Another disadvantage about buying your own parts is that if you don't know the exact parts you need you could end up with the wrong parts and the hassle of having to return them to the motor factors assuming they will take them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You're starting in the wrong end OP.
    Start by finding a mechanic.
    Find out what parts they use.
    If you're not happy with those parts ask if you can supply your own parts.

Supplying parts to make savings rarely works out. Also many mechanics won't fit parts they don't know, in case something breaks 2 months later and there is a dispute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I do it and you can save money.
    The Independant garage I go to is a one man show. His thinking is that I'd have more time to shop round online for deals where orders through his usual supplier.
    It has saved me a fair bit and he still gets his labour charge.

What I'd recommend is price round online fr the stuff before going in.
    Ask him how much it's going to cost ad if you can make a decent saving then say it to him and see if he'd have a problem with you supplying the parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I suppose it depends on what parts you're talking about as well.
    Brake pads or a cat.

In this case it's a timing belt. I don't think the difference in price between what the mechanic pay and you pay for a TB kit is very big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I have supplied parts for my mechanic in the past, but its usually when he gives me the option of sourcing a second hand part or letting him see if he can get it new, so there will be a huge difference in price. Obviously he wont stand over any part that he doesnt supply, but in the case of second hand parts I wouldnt exactly expect him to anyway.

I asked my old mechanic about me getting my own parts for when he was servicing my car, and he said that there was no point as he could get them a lot cheaper than I would.

well a quick check on micksgarage.ie has a timing belt for my car at 32.48 and a timing belt kit (whats the difference?) at 65.60

...so perhaps someone could tell me if thats around what a mechanic would pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Im not sure about the cost of the parts but Im fairly certain the majority of the cost involved in changing a timing belt is in the labour.

Also check if that kit also includes the water pump (it probably doesnt if its from micksgarage) as this would usually be changed at the same time as the timing belt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Add a belt tensioner on to that list Id imagine?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭Pique

I've done it in the past when I wanted specific discs and pads and bought them online.

My current mechanic and I would normally get consumables from the same place so it means I can pick them up on the way to work or he has to go and get them. It suits both of us that I get them. He will get them if I can't. No biggie.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What if the parts are wrong, and your car is in bits and on a lift awaiting proper ones?

What if the parts are substandard (cheap) and fail prematurely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

What if the parts are wrong, and your car is in bits and on a lift awaiting proper ones?

You just do your research and be sure what you've bought is right.

Both are risks but as many have said you can make great savings once done right.

well as mentioned earlier, i went on micksgarage.ie, popped in my reg number and it brings up the exact details of my car and parts suitable for it, so thats point one taken care of. as for your second point, well i dont know brands of parts very well, so i cant comment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

well as mentioned earlier, i went on micksgarage.ie, popped in my reg number and it brings up the exact details of my car and parts suitable for it, so thats point one taken care of. as for your second point, well i dont know brands of parts very well, so i cant comment.

All well and good and fair play, but for every person like you there'll be more that won't be as clued in, or will try a budget option.

I'm no mechanic (thankfully for everyone) but I reckon if I was I'd insist on sourcing the parts myself.

All well and good and fair play, but for every person like you there'll be more that won't be as clued in, or will try a budget option.

I'm no mechanic (thankfully for everyone) but I reckon if I was I'd insist on sourcing the parts myself.

I'm far from clued in on stuff like this, thats why i'm here, but i'll take that compliment!

Advertisement