Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potted Plants help

• 19-06-2013 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hello,
    I've just recently built a large decking area out our back garden.
    I would like to make it look a bit prettier, but some potted plants..

Don't know anything about gardening, so nothing too complicated please, but very willing to give anything a go... It gets lots of sun in the afternoon.

Ideas please...

I'll also attach image of garden.. any ideas for that either please!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭looksee

For immediate colour its not too late to put in some bedding plants - snapdragons do well in pots, there are geraniums and petunias that will give a show for a few months.

In the autumn you could put in some bulbs - good idea to grow the bulbs in a separate pot and just drop it into the display pot, so that they can be removed when they have flowered.

As well as that you can plant up maybe a cordyline - you can get green, pink, cream and striped ones - surrounded by pansies in the winter and bedding as suggested in the summer.

Whatever you plant, get the largest pots you reasonably can, they are much easier to keep moist and the plants tend to do better. Put some lumps of polystyrene and/or gravel in the bottom to ensure drainage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

There's a special offer next week at Aldi. potted bedding plants e2.69 Choice of 9 different varieties and 5 varieties of miniature roses for e1.99 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sillybilly

thanks a mill for all that....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Buy some large plant pots or planters.

Drill some extra holes in the base/bases.

Place pots/planters up on plant pot feet.....(this helps with drainage and aids decking shelf life)

Fill bottom of pot/planter with some 15-20mm pea gravel.

Then throw in some compost and a small bit of manure and a little grit.

Then plant your plants/shrubs/trees and water them.

more great advice.. thanks a mill

• Advertisement

There's a special offer next week at Aldi. potted bedding plants e2.69 Choice of 9 different varieties and 5 varieties of miniature roses for e1.99 each.

They also have a nice selection of bedding plants in Lidl for 2 euro 99 cents this morning.

Some nice Salvias down in Lidl this morning too.Had a quick look at them,and they are just about to flower.

Any suggestions of where to buy nice pots at good price?

flowers seem cheap, pots more expensive!

sillybilly wrote: »
    Any suggestions of where to buy nice pots at good price?

flowers seem cheap, pots more expensive!

Any good garden centre or nursery.

Also in Arro/Ecc Hardware,Homebase and also The National Garden Exhibition Centre.

You can also buy medium-small green and brown plastic planters in Dealz for 1 euro 50 cents...just to get you going....until you find the big pots/planters that suit your style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I got a big barrel effect tub in Woodies recently for €5, similar to the ones in Paddy's second photo above ^^^. It looks really good for the price and a tub that size would hold a decent sized plant.

Would you consider a rose bush? They grow fairly quickly and if you buy one now you'll most likely get flowers in the next month or so. They don't require a huge amount of care, just cut them back every winter to help stop them from becoming straggly.

http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/flower-carpet-rose-scarlet/scarlet_flower_carpetpd.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Dunnes have large ceramic pots at reasonable prices - I have a couple and they have survived several winters no problem (apart from the one that I sealed the hole and filled with water and left...)

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Dunnes have large ceramic pots at reasonable prices - I have a couple and they have survived several winters no problem (apart from the one that I sealed the hole and filled with water and left...)

I saw them yesterday in Dunnes Stores,Drogheda.

400mm tall round plant pots in gloss blue and gloss red.

Advertisement